Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Saw the double-feature tonight, loved the "plain" aspect of it (as Teenage Fansub puts it). Was really enhanced by watching Cap1 first (and that movie is also a lot of fun even if Hugo Weaving's makeup is beyond terrible). Cap/Nat make a really great on-screen team due to the differences in their personalities and yet the occasional common ground (casual chatting on the battlefield). The action was great, clear and visceral, and Cap/Nat have really unique fighting styles that are put out to their own advantages here.

I disliked that everyone who isn't Cap seems to get up from their injuries with no real issue, which is very Hollywood but not in keeping with the idea that Cap is a "perfect soldier"...he's the only one who ever seems to be in any pain at all!

I disliked one really stupid scene where the Hydra scientist captured by Cap&Co has been uploaded into a 1950s computer for some reason, makes a flimsy exposition dump about how SHIELD is Hydra now, then allows himself to die to a missile because HEIL HYDRA :shepface:. Not just a sloppy exposition but also a bad rendition of the character, who in Cap1 was perhaps the most skeptical member of Hydra.

I disliked one really stupid line of dialogue from Nick Fury (Lady: "Give me four hours." Fury: "You have three!" STOP DOING THIS HOLLYWOOD WHY).

The latter two points are very minor issues imo. I also went in thinking I would hate Falcon but I ended up wanting a pair of my own wings.

I have no idea what is going on in the post-credits scenes but that doesn't affect my interpretation of the movie, which is that it is very good and a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Fury and Natasha both get shot and almost die. Tons of loyal Shield members are killed.

Natasha seems to have no problem kung-fuing a bunch of people in her old lady disguise about 30 minutes after she's shot. Falcon falls 30-40 feet out of a building, through a helicopter hard enough to knock one of the doors out, and is completely fine. Meanwhile Cap has a hard time getting up after taking a fall, gets knocked unconscious after being thrown into a bus, and is barely able to move after he gets shot in the stomach. The best example of his super-humanity was when the missile hit and he was groaning but up and about, while Natasha was unconscious, the second-best was that he was eventually able to get up and do Cap stuff after he was shot. However, he then passed out again after getting punched a few times by WS's metal arm. I think all the Cap stuff was fine and Chris Evans was great. But Fury surviving getting blown up, rolled over in his car and shot a couple times, Nat kung-fuing, and Falcon defying gravity (nyuck) are the main things I am thinking of as pretty superheroic when those people aren't actual superheroes.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The MSJ posted:

He sacrificed himself in an effort to kill Steve and Natasha, the biggest threat to their operations now that they thought Fury is dead. Zola had done his job at that point, so he probably thinks that it was his final contribution to Hydra. He also looks like this in the comics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnim_Zola

:stare: Well I guess I'm glad he didn't look like that.
If you have a comics background it may make more sense, but I saw the first movie immediately before the second and he never struck me as the kind of guy who would be a Hydra supporter after Red Skull died. I got the impression that all he wanted to do was science.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The_Rob posted:

So gratuitous murder is alright because it's a soldier? You don't see anything kind of wrong with that? Again not to mention that for such a violent film getting a view of the actual consequences is non existent. I mean I guess that's a bigger problem with pg 13 movies in general.

"If they're shooting at you, they're bad (and can be killed)." - Captain America

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

BigRed0427 posted:

I got in trouble at work (A after school program for grade schoolers) because I brought the first Captain America in to watch on a rainy day. A few parents weren't happy.

There is that scene where a guy gets sucked into a plane engine (yes there is one of these in both Cap1 and Cap2) and the camera lingers on his bloody remains trailing through the sky like a crop dusting plume. And the scene where the bad guy rips his own face off.

Obviously you should have brought something wholesome and G-rated, like Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

• Locked thread