Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

One question I have, watching the movie, the action seemed pretty jittery throughout and hard to see, was this how the movie was, or was this my theater? My theater is pretty bad, so I'm willing to believe this wasn't the films fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rough Lobster posted:

Wow, this movie was loving great. If you're on the fence: see it.

I saw it, and I'm on the fence....

I really liked it...but it was more grounded then I thought it would be. I guess I've enjoyed how weird these last few Marvel films have been with fire breathing flame people, aliens, space elves, ect...it feels exactly like it should. That being said, I want to give it another go. I think I had a hopeful idea of where it would go, but it didn't so it was disappointing. Another viewing should help me appreciate what it was trying to do. That, and the unwatchable action which I'm pretty convinced, listening/reading other reviews that it was totally my theaters fault.

But no part of me hated it or anything. I just wanted more of something like the Zola reveal. Loved that so much.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

From Iron Man 3. The Extremis guys.

But I don't think it was the style. I'm watching clips, and when I say the action was unwatchable, I mean that. It looked like someone cranked the shutter speed way the gently caress up, and darkened the entire screen. It was bad. And I think that's why this movie felt kinda "eh" to me. I enjoyed everything but the action sequences, and I'm pretty sure it was because my theater sucks. I've seen every Marvel film there day 1 since Iron Man...but this was the last one. gently caress that place. It's garbage.

I'll try and see it at IMAX tomorrow night.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That scene you find silly actually is pretty accurate to the character. I'm no comics guy, but I know what that is supposed to be, and couldn't figure out how they were going to do it. That was my favorite thing in the movie. Really clever way to pull that off, I thought.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They're going to be in The Avengers. That's pretty much all we(I?) know at this point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Which was also near Christmas.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

moths posted:

As someone who doesn't watch Agents of SHIELD, is there any material I'll be missing out on?

From glancing at the AoS thread, Sitwell's in the show.

Anyway, the rewatch helped. I love this flick! It's badass! It's not my favorite though. I prefer the goofy, more comedy based ones like Iron Man 3 and The Avengers, but this was still pretty great. Nice to actually see the action too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also, count me in as another person who dug the score. I was a bit hesitant to like it, but now I warmed up to the more subtle approach. Still prefer Silvestri's theme. But I unabashedly love almost everything he does.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kater posted:

Copied the Star Trek 2 fake with helicarrier crash too.

Yeah this. I mostly liked the movie but I was super uncomfortable with how nasty it gets. The whole movie was bad with it but the airstrip getting torn apart by Kai Lang had to be the worst.

Also the end credits bit was a disappointment after Thor 2's insane Benecio Del Toro as Ziggy Stardust scene.

Huh. I thought it was less violent then the first Captain America, which had people getting shot at with bloody squibs almost through out, and not to mention that brutal, but amazing helicopter gore explosion.

I still think Cap is the most gory modern PG-13 film made to date. It's not implied. It's right there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would call it brutal yeah. I loved the little moments of brutality. Cap throwing his knife at the guy's hand, Winter Soldier kicking that dude into an exploding plane, Cap pushing people off the boat, ect. That stuff was all super fun to watch. It was brutal, but in a way that was set up like a joke punchline. Like the scene in the first Cap with the guy falling into the propellers.

But when it had to get actually nasty, it worked well. And I liked that.

Also, the best part about the movie? When the Ships go down, they ONLY hit the SHIELD building, and nothing else. A good detail to have. No Man of Steel poo poo going on. Which was very nice.

Baron Bifford posted:

Cap 1 was by far the silliest of the MCU films.

That's why I love it so much. I appreciated this took a different path however. Good sequels are like that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wandle Cax posted:

All the way to the end? why?

Nice time to think to yourself or with friends about the film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron Bifford posted:

It's the silliest Marvel movie, taking cues from Star Wars and GIJOE. Although Steve Rogers is a simplistic character he is very likable. He's kinda like Christopher Reeves' Superman.

This, but this being a good thing. A comic book movie being silly is a huge plus, as long as the characters aren't treated as such. So yes. Watch Cap. It's got an amazing first half that should win you over despite the messy as hell second half.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spacebump posted:

If you live near an Alamo Draft house, consider seeing it there. Some of the stuff they showed 30 minutes before the movie was hilarious. Including an edited version of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hi33dhnwi4

I saw this exact thing. I was dying.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GORDON posted:

I was the only one to laugh out loud in my theater, today. Pretty full, too.

Didn't notice it in the local theater, no one laughed, but it got a big chuckle in the Alamo when I saw it. That's more of the crowd for that joke.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I recall in Iron Man, it wasn't called Shield until everyone started bitching about the name. It was just the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division. At the end Coulson claims "We're calling ourselves "SHIELD" now. You really started something here." (I think that was the line. )

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Falcon was the best character in the film.

"Man. Shut the hell up!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Which also goes with the The Winter Soldier as well. So it's a nice little tie in to the characters from his past.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nope. Iron Man 3 is the best of the lot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My list would look so weird to half of you.

Iron Man 3
The Avengers
Agent Carter (That counts!)
Captain America
The Winter Soldier
Iron Man
Thor: The Dark World
Thor
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

I dislike none of them. I prefer the campier/funny Marvel films. But I did love The Winter Soldier quite a bit. Just enjoyed Cap 1 a tad bit more due to that great first half.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 7, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Re-watching Thor 2, it is fun, but the story is pretty poor, and all over the place. I clocked out halfway and started appreciating the visuals. I loved the Kursed, the space elves...it was all wonderfully campy. Shame the film was all over the place though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's still learning. I saw promise of a better visual filmaker in him during The Avengers. Even he agrees The Avengers wasn't great looking. I'm excited to see how he does it with more time to prep.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Man 3 is basically Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 2 with more robot suits. I don't understand anyone's issues with it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neither do I. I get people saying this is the best movie in the series because it's really well done, but people are saying this is the best because it's grounded and serious. Eh. I can live without watching another serious superhero for a long time. (which I don't think this film is one by any stretch.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron Bifford posted:

God Almighty, do not let them make another Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

Outside of a few really interesting moments (mostly the action sequences) that movie was as dull as the first Ghost Rider, thanks to the brilliant people at Sony and David Goyer. N/T didn't have the freedom they should've, because otherwise, they would've written their own insane script instead of using that boring one. Really depressed about that movie since N/T are like my favorite directors, and I'd see anything they, or one of them does from now on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron Bifford posted:

I looked up these guys. Aside from Crank, they don't have a good track record. The Ghost Rider movies did not have Kevin Feige working on them. I think Feige at the very least would have hired a team with a better performance record.

They've directed 4 movies. 2 are amazing, 1 is alright, and 1 is garbage, but still interesting. They're wrote Jonah Hex, but apparently the director didn't use the script. No one but Neveldine and Taylor can make a Neveldine and Taylor movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tripwyre posted:

This is a correction from a few pages back, but Emily Blunt was originally tapped to play Peggy Carter in Captain America, not Black Widow in Iron Man 2. I'm pretty positive Scarlett was always the top choice for that gig. Blunt dropped out of Cap because it conflicted with (ugh) Gulliver's Travels.

No offense to Blunt, but I'm glad for it. Hayley Atwell is gorgeous.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

Honestly I think this is a legit and acceptable line of thinking. Maybe the sillier the costume the more gooder you are.

Doesn't explain Red Skull, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's not a costume, it's his actual face.

Can't find the pic, but that leather costume he wears at the end is really silly, but also very cool. With the leather suspenders and all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes.

Iron Man

-The Incredible Hulk.

Iron Man 2

Thor

Captain America

The Avengers

Iron Man 3

Thor 2

Captain America the Winter Soldier.

They are in chronological order, except for Cap. But it's best to watch it when in order to get why Nick Fury is at the end of Cap.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 13, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I always forget Incredible Hulk!

And I actually like that movie. It's just, they never bring it up ever again outside of a small scene in Iron Man 2, and a line in The Avengers. That must be due to make just erasing Norton from my mind and replacing him with Ruffalo. (And I liked Norton too)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I agree. I also dug Tim Roth. He pulled off that small weak guy with a ton of passion pretty well. I felt sorry for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vargo posted:

EDIT: And The Hurt Locker.

On The Hurt Locker, it's pretty loving cool that half that cast played a big part in MCU. Renner as Hawkeye, Mackie as Falcon, and Pearce as Killian.

I also second watching Pain and Gain. He was hilarious in that movie.

• Locked thread