Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

EdBlackadder posted:

Wolfgang Strucker was commanding the lat Hydra base, in the comics he induced powers in his unborn twin children. I think they're using a play on that for the Maximoff twins origin, probably not his biological children but still his creation. Which is not necessarily a bad idea, they can still have a redemption arc with a metaphorical father.

It is explicitly stated at the end of Cap that Strucker has been abducting people and doing experiments on them using the magic staff Loki had in Avengers to see what happens. Wanda and Pietro are the only ones to survive his experiments and have the bonus of getting completely different super powers.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

For real dead or just some switcheroo thing to set up for the next movie?

He just fakes his death so he can find out who the ~real bad guys~. By the end of the film SHIELD is disbanded and everybody involved is on trial and he just goes "eh I don't want to deal with that i'll just keep pretending I'm dead so I can do my spy stuff. I'll just wear sunglasses instead of an eye patch from now on so people don't know who I am.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

DeathChicken posted:

Same way Frank Castle is probably somewhere in his 40s but served in Nam. "Magic."

Black Widow has pretty much the same forumla in her that keeps Fury young she's actually in her 80s. Punisher is literally an Angel of Death who has been reborn multiple times. Because comics.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, but they explicitly said in this movie that she was born in 1984 and they say she worked for the KGB. Unless the USSR hung on for another ten years in this timeline than it doesn't add up.

None of it makes sense. It's the same way that Bucky has an Russian Star on his shoulder because he's the "Winter Solider" and Russia's ultimate weapon during the Cold War (in the comics) but in the film Natasha says that she fought against him when realistically she should have been fighting with him.

Baron Bifford posted:

Speaking of characters' ages, how old was Howard Stark when he had his son? He must have been a little on the old side. I think Marvel ought to have made the guy in Captain America 1 Tony's grandfather.

Despite that the film decides that Howard Stark died when he still looked like Dominic Cooper Iron Man 2 shows that he lived for years later and grew up to be John Slattery before he had Tony.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Charlz Guybon posted:

That would depend on when she defected though and also assumes there weren't clashing factions within the Soviet Union.

My point was Bucky doesn't work for the Soviet Union in the films but still has a Soviet Star on him because that's what he looks like in the comics. Hydra are never shown to have any connections to Russia in the film and SHIELD seem to be strictly a US organisation corrupted by Zola and other Super Nazi's

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Kal-L posted:

In the film he's found by a soviet soldier. The montage is kinda confusing, but the intention was to show that it was the soviets who amputated/gave him the metal arm, then he was acquired by Hydra to be their assassin.

Edit: And let's be fair: SHIELD and the U.S. might had a lot of power, but they alone couldn't have stirred all that chaos worldwide. Fury even says at the end that there's still Hydra cells in Europe.

That part just seems weird then. Russia got this ultimate solider who is able to kill anything, until the film happens, they give him a metal arm and then just sell him off to Hydra with a note of "please remember to continually freeze and mindwipe him to keep him under your control". I get what you're saying but everything about Hydra in the film just seems ridiculously over complicated and messy. Though to be fair I also think Johansson is a terrible Black Widow and hate the stuff they do with the character.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Teenage Fansub posted:

I liked how plain it was, especially in the cinematography.
The big shootout scenes (other than the helicarrier stuff) just looked like people went out with cameras on dreary overcast days to blow up cars.

This was actually the thing I hated most about the film. Everything was just so boring and grey.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Some obvious hardcore comic fans were audibly excited about the character reveal mid credits. I know who the characters are but I'm confused as to what role they're going to play in future films or why they're a big deal. Someone care to fill me in?

They are just new Avengers with new powers is all, possibly to replace actors like Downey Jr, Evans and Hemsworth who are only hanging around for another 2/3 films.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

OldTennisCourt posted:

Perhaps I'm just totally unknowledgable, but what other storylines could they go with to make movies out of? Are there any stand-alone Cap stories big enough to make movies out of beyond what we've seen?

90% of the film isn't even a Cap story anyway it's a Fury story Secret Warriors is the book where they get all the HYDRA/SHIELD nonsense from.

But I guess the next logical one would be the various evil Captain America stories where the government replaces Steve as Cap and the replacement unsurprisingly turns out to be crazy.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Avynte posted:

Seeing as I totally missed the Crossbones reference, is the Nurse/Agent supposed to be someone special from the comics? I know hardly anything when it comes to Cap history.

They are Caps occasional girlfriend and Peggy's niece. For some reason they said her name was Sharon but not her full name of Sharon Carter.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Don't you mean Brubaker?

Eh. The film is a lot more Secret Warriors than Winter Soldier. Though I think in the film Bendis and Bru are the ones that get credited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Red posted:

People say Weaving doesn't want to do it, but the studio got him in a multi-film contract. If they want him to appear, he will.

Here is Weaving's actual quote about it

Hugo Weaving posted:

“I did sign up for a number of pictures and I suppose, contractually, I would be obliged to, if they forced me to, but they wouldn’t want to force someone to do it, if they didn’t want to,” he said. “I think I’ve done my dash with that sort of film. It was good to do it and try it out, but to be honest, it’s not the sort of film I seek out and really am excited by. As an actor, to do all sorts of different films is great. It stretches you in different ways. But, I increasingly like to go back to what I used to always do, which is to get involved with projects that I really have a personal affiliation with.”

It would be film suicide to try and force an actor who is publicly saying he doesn't want to be in your films and would no doubt phone it in or do the bare minimum.

• Locked thread