Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I guess I didn't think much of this, but I will say that the VFX on the Watchers really really impressed me. I loved their stop motion-y movement set, I loved that their mouths weren't articulated when speaking, and I loved their creepy flashlight eyes. Gave me a strong Neverending Story feel. I don't know if it was all CGI but if so I'm really impressed by how tactile and bizarre they looked.

I also loved Ray Winstone's performance. He's always great but Aronofsky really gives him space to do something memorable here.

Bugblatter posted:

I saw this last week and liked it a lot. It's visually dazzling and has one of the most gorgeous visual effects sequences I've seen in years in the last act. It's also pretty drat grimm. That isn't really surprising to those of us who know Aronofsky or can imagine what the story of Noah taken to its logical conclusion would look like, but it will certainly surprise audiences who go in based on the trailers. It's pretty amazing that such normal looking and "inspiring" trailers were crafted from this strange, dark film.

Minor spoilers: The ending itself isn't really weird at all, it's one of the few parts that adheres closely to the biblical tale, but there's plenty of crazy poo poo in the first two acts. It's certainly not what anyone would typically expect from a film based on a bible story.

Do you know how they got that shot near the end where Noah's climbing multiple ladders and we follow him up and across a platform? That seemed like an unusual shot to my layman's eye.

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

I agree. I really wanted to like this movie but it didn't do it for me. It could be that I was expecting a different movie than what I got, but it felt like some amazing scenes followed by tedium for long stretches. The opening was atrocious, a classic example of telling when it should be showing.

There was a profile of Aronofsky in the New Yorker a couple weeks ago and it mentions that he put that in at the urging of Fincher. He wasn't thrilled by the idea for the reason you mention but admitted to its utility since the film introduces a lot of extra-biblical stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe I'm just old enough to have never given a poo poo about Harry Potter so I have no clue what anyone sees in Emma Watson as an actress.

Judging solely from this film, she's awful. She does a lot of "eyebrow acting" which always reminds me of this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uxSGRNLA6o

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

The Time Dissolver posted:

Were there any practical effects used for the Watchers? Some of it at least looked like puppets or stopmotion. I Googled but all that comes up is people complaining they're not Biblical/saying it doesn't matter they're not Biblical.

I was wondering the same thing. Either way it was a great effect.

• Locked thread