Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
i blame the monstars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Ferid posted:

Did you know Jordan ruled the courts and he had no hair?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Ferid posted:

poo poo someone made a better jordan joke than me, i should start reading previous posts maybe i'll be less of a shitposter

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

itt: decadent westerns who cannot see anything other than their own barbaric civilization without morals

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
ur confusing us w/ the middle east, bro

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ferid posted:

thread should have been goldmined after this post, every post afterwards including this one reduces its gold-per-post ratio

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

King of Hamas posted:

America doesn't seem to disapprove, we hire those same child prostitutes and hand them off to local warlords to make sure the opium crop grows well this year

He's right, you have all approved of this.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
How odd, this story isn't on Al Jazeera at all, not sure if A-J is just not reporting it or what.

That's worrysome, I usually go to A-J for my depressing Muslim news.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

Ferid posted:

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

ColoradoCleric posted:

Isn't Jordan supposed to be one of the more liberal muslim countries in the middle east?

It is indeed a liberal Islamic country. I saw a lot of sluts women walking around without hijabs when I stayed in Amman. Also Jordan is building a Star Trek theme park, so if Aatrek ever becomes a fugitive, we'll know Al Qaeda will offer him sanctuary in Jordan.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
well you say it's liberal but you also said that women have more rights in islam than anywhere else sooooooo

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Twee as gently caress posted:

well you say it's liberal but you also said that women have more rights in islam than anywhere else sooooooo

Meaning there are liberal and conservative interpretations of vague holy texts.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like a good islam thread with twee as gently caress but the india ones have holy-biohazard river and we don't have a mohamad equivalent yet

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Well, different flavors of rights. Ancient Islam definitely was very progressive towards not just women but rival religions as well during Muhammad's (PBUH :rolleyes:) time. Women could hold titles, inherit, own land, own businesses, have property, receive/pursue education, reject marriages and such. At this time, early Christianity was downright jackasses in comparison. While Muslims permitted shared exposure to holy places with their religious rivals Christians were heavily anti-Semitic.

So yeah, early Islam was very good for women comparatively once upon a time, but as Christianity continued to PROGRESS as time marched on, Islam actually REGRESSED and got very repressive (largely attributed to tribal and cultural influences on the religion.) So while Islam started off ahead, it stayed the same/ grew worse while Christianity continued on.

In Modern Christianity, women can work, inherit, own property, have titles, own a business, reject marriages, never have children, vote, pursue an education, etc. The shittier Christians would see women shackled to kitchens spurting out babies and all kinds of "nice" things.

Whereas the lovely aspects of Islam often finds ways to ignore those passages in the Quran which gave women rights and poo poo all over them. More liberal Muslims don't wear hear coverings, occasionally drink, worship lazily and aren't far removed from lazy Christians.

I cannot speak with any authority on whether or not the assholes of Islam are a minority or a majority, though I have been told by Muslims they are a loud minority with a lot of power.

I don't even want to get into the Sunni/Shia divide right now but suffice to say they have not been at war for forever or so I have heard/read.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
tldr as the quality of life in christian countries improved they started being more progressive, as the quality of life in islamic countries worsened they started being less progressive

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Are people actually surprised that attractive women generally want to marry rich powerful men? This is like a universal truth.

DataRat
Dec 25, 2009
doesn't the quran expressly suggest that women should be uncovered in order to secure their identity when testifying in court or being witness to a contract?

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Is it in the quran somewhere that says all muslim ran countries have to be shitholes

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Seoinin posted:

I'm p sure no one ever describe bashar al-assad as "cool"

"looks like a fuckin CPA" maybe

assad just proved that all dentists are psychopaths that delight in inflicting pain on others

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Dugu Wu Di posted:

doesn't the quran expressly suggest that women should be uncovered in order to secure their identity when testifying in court or being witness to a contract?

THAT'S COMPLICATED.

:words: below, to skip look for the next bold line. I am wordy and opinionated.

This is the translation of the point in the Quran where modesty in service to God is demanded:
“Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.” [Q 24:30]

“And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons, their husbands’ sons, their brothers or their brothers’ sons, or their sisters’ sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! Turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.” [Q 24:31]" (For those would-be scholars this is from the Yusuf Ali translation of the Quran.)

Two other passages I dredged up:
“O ye who believe! Enter not the Prophet’s house, - until leave is given to you, - for a meal, (and then) not (so early as) to wait for its preparation: but when ye are invited, enter; and when ye have taken your meal, disperse, without seeking familiar talk. Such (behaviour) annoys the Prophet: he is ashamed to dismiss you, but Allah is not ashamed (to tell you) the truth.
And when ye ask (his ladies) for anything ye want, ask them from before a screen {hijab}: that makes for greater purity for your hearts and theirs. Nor is it right for you that ye should annoy Allah’s Apostle, or that ye should marry his widows after him at any time. Truly such a thing is in Allah’s sight an enormity.”

“O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments {jilbab} over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”
So, no mention of the hair or head at all whatsoever. Just a "I know it's hot here but please don't flash your titties and guys, don't ogle hot ladies, especially ones who are flashing their titties."

My interpretation/observation? The words 'hijab' and 'jilbab' were probably written in by the translator. The first is actually in reference to the multitudes of men who trolled about the Prophet, making themselves at home rudely at all hours and sniffing around his daughters. Y'know, pursuing them for their own political benefit as marrying one of his girls made you a big deal. The traditional cultural norm of the time was that the suitor, in speaking to the woman he pursues, was to do so with a curtain between them. That is what it is referencing, not a veil or covering she wears. BTW, this tradition is still practiced in many areas and even in weddings.

The second one is again a restating of the edict from earlier with one addition which boils down to, "Ladies do continue to not flash your titties and cover yourselves, but more importantly, please take extra care covering yourselves while abroad because white people foreigners are the worst."

So some rear end in a top hat inputting words establishes a bullshit precedent that really isn't bluntly stated anywhere. Compare the tame vagueness of these passages to ANY passage of a thing truly condemned and forbidden, the language is very different.

So, where did this head covering poo poo spring from? Well, along with the interpretation bullshit above we also have the Hadiths to blame. What are the Hadiths? Well, basically after the Prophet died a bunch of shitheads and non-shitheads started writing down things Muhammad (PBUH) was claimed [by them and/or others close to them] to have said and claiming this poo poo was as good as the stuff in the Quran and gently caress them. Abu Bakr in particular was a massive dick who denied Fatima the inheritance rights that were guaranteed her by the Quran with such a Hadith.

The Quran was supposed to trump the Hadiths and the authenticity/adherence of any Hadith is often hotly contested and situational. My understanding of it as an outsider looking in is it's pretty much a way to give Muslims a way to cherry pick the Quran the same way Christians cherry pick the bible. Hadiths are such a joke that each one is basically referred to as a strong Hadith or a weak Hadith based solely on presumed/assumed the closeness of the quoter to the Prophet.

Some of the strongest Hadiths are those of Aisha, every bigot's favorite [9 year old] wife of the Prophet, and the daughter of above rear end in a top hat Abu Bakr.

While the Muslims I associate are Sunni it's worth pointing out that a certain number of Hadiths that are very "gently caress Women" are attributed to Abu Bakr who faced a great deal of political threat from Muhammad's (PBUH) daughters during his time.

Thing is Muslims take these Hadiths hella serious and they matter. As such, even though it's not obvious in the Quran there's enough Hadiths emphasizing it that it counts.

If you skimmed/skipped all that the short version is below.

tl;dr No you gotta cover your heads ladies because a dozen+ assholes said the Prophet said so decades after his death even though it's not in the Quran. PS gently caress you.

In closing I must state my bias, I am close to many people who follow this religion and thus I have a great deal of contempt for it. I can directly see how the toxic cultural not-in-the-Quran-but-gently caress-you aspects of it are ruining the lives and dreams of the people I love. (Some things in the Quran totally loving suck too.)

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
lol

No ambulance service for woman living by herself’

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

anyone remember when like nearly 20 girls burned to death and like 50 others were injured because the firefighters arrived at their dorm and they were trying to get out but since they weren't dressed modestly enough they actually locked them in the building on fire?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
no

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
it makes sense guys

i mean in western societies men who cover their heads are virgins, so logically the same could well apply to muslim women

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
/\/\/\

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

anyone remember when like nearly 20 girls burned to death and like 50 others were injured because the firefighters arrived at their dorm and they were trying to get out but since they weren't dressed modestly enough they actually locked them in the building on fire?

Saudi Arabia I think, and there was a hell of a lot of backlash against the "modesty and virtue" police, but it appeared that they were not actually a hindrance to the girls getting out or the firefighters.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Mecca_girls%27_school_fire

Blistex fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 28, 2014

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Idiot Kicker posted:

True story, used to work with 2 Jordanian guys, I told one of them that, no disrespect to his country, but their queen is hot. He quickly agreed. Those guys were the chillest of chill but a female coworker said they were condescending to her. :smith:

it's just their culture, they were not wrong

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Ferid posted:

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
it's not the middle easts fault, they havent had enough time yet to catch up to everyone else. this is bc of the lingering effects of imperialism as well as the fact that christianity had a 600 year head start on islam.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Twat McTwatterson posted:

it's not the middle easts fault, they havent had enough time yet to catch up to everyone else. this is bc of the lingering effects of imperialism as well as the fact that christianity had a 600 year head start on islam.

it helps that most christian countries arent bombed to hell or have 99% of the money in a single ruling family

most islam followers in (comparatively) peaceful economically sound countries are p chill

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 28, 2014

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Twat McTwatterson posted:

:golfclap:

Completely indistinguishable from opinions of idiots who actually believe this poo poo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ferid posted:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
good for them, I agree.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Hingehead posted:

Meaning there are liberal and conservative interpretations of vague holy texts.

lol no you didn't

Hingehead posted:

It is actually quite the opposite. Women have more rights in Islam than anywhere else in the world. In Polygamy marriage, the husband is to treat all multiple wives as equal, otherwise he shouldn't bother to have more than one wife. When in divorce, it is the wife that get a larger percentage of dowry from the ex-husband in order to sustain her family. The hadith, it explains that if the husband sees a beautiful woman and is tempted to have sex with her, he is encouraged to go home to have sex with his wife instead as to alleviate his sexual urge as well to fortify his bond with his wife. The hadith actually also encourages all kinds of sexual foreplays with the wife as long no anal is involved. Yes even blowjobs are halal. Islam encourages women rights, but unfortunately cultures and human tendencies gets into the way to become the majority favorite.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

what are all of you even saying. what's going on in this thread

Ferid posted:

okay, that makes sense.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Hahaha Hingehead you motherfucking human being.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
as a muslim lesbian i find this thread offensive

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Corn Thongs posted:

what are all of you even saying. what's going on in this thread

a bunch of dorks wasting time, while we wait for every post to be deleted except for this one

quote:

and then goldmined

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Neurolimal posted:

a bunch of dorks wasting time, while we wait for every post to be deleted except for this one

and then goldmined

I second this motion

also addendum ban the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Place the best post in a separate thread and goldmine so OP doesn't get props.

• Locked thread