Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loteck
May 25, 2005

what is BAPE?
https://www.turtlestrailer.com

Password is "ooze".

The world is under threat and cities are blowing up, we need Megan Fox and Transformers Ninja Turtles to save us!

edit: Or, you know, just watch it on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRipBOQl95o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

They look like turds.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turdles.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
That youtube link is wrong, obviously you meant this
https://www.youtube.com/user/itsreal85vids/videos

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Huh. Thought the thread title was a joke but it's actually Michael Bay. Yep.

I did like the transition from NICKELODEON STUDIOS to the guy firing an assault rifle on a train.

Eat_at_Milliways
May 3, 2006
bald_kid
This looks like absolute poo poo.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

After seeing the trailer, it's probably going to suck, after I had such high hopes for it from the released info and production stills. :(

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Michael Bay's name is there to sell the thing. He didn't direct it and probably had little to do with production (although I imagine he told them to axe the "Turtles = Aliens" thing when the internet lost it's poo poo)

Man, I am digging William Fitchner. I may see the movie just for him.

Kirk Muscle
Oct 21, 2008
That was actually painful to watch.

"HEROES ARE NOT BORN. THEY ARE CREATED"

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I think it looks pretty fun and the turtles look great? I guess I'm not living in the past where there was only, what, 1 good turtle film, one sort of good and then the 3rd one?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Looks fun! I'll prob catch it in theaters.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Every time somebody links the trailer on my Facebook, I ask the same question.

WHY THE FLYING BLOODY BLUE MONKEY gently caress DOES THE GODDAMN SHREDDER WANT TO CREATE HEROES???????????

And yes, William Fichtner is the loving Shredder. Now, I have absolutely nothing against Fichtner, he's an awesome actor and one of those guys who's awesome in everything he's in. That being said, he is probably the last person on Earth I'd choose to play the Shredder.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I need this to be good for my childhood. I have little confidence in Michael Bay or Megan Fox, but I actually dig the turtles' designs. They're not supposed to be pretty.

drat, I started to say to google screens from the 1990 film and look at how ugly those are, but I did it myself and I'm so wrong. Those costumes were loving awesome.

I should also be clear that by being good for my childhood I mean I need this to be successful enough to have a sequel so I can see Krang on the silver screen. (There should be a Krang smilie, this is where I would use it.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Oh yeah the animatronic masks from the first movie are amazing, the costumes in general are great. It's weird how they got significantly worse in the sequel, and then the third movie had totally different, very cheap looking outfits that were even worse than those, like not a huge step up from what you could make happen in a Halloween costume shop.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Every time somebody links the trailer on my Facebook, I ask the same question.

WHY THE FLYING BLOODY BLUE MONKEY gently caress DOES THE GODDAMN SHREDDER WANT TO CREATE HEROES???????????

And yes, William Fichtner is the loving Shredder. Now, I have absolutely nothing against Fichtner, he's an awesome actor and one of those guys who's awesome in everything he's in. That being said, he is probably the last person on Earth I'd choose to play the Shredder.

I don't like it, but having a western dude as Shredder now seems like the only way this movie would get made. They're not gonna make a $$$ CGI filled action flick with a mostly Asian cast headlining, so you'd end up with Shredder and Splinter as the only Asian characters.* A potential giant rat man and an angry berserker ninja obsessed with revenge with only some white folks and talking animals to stop him from conquering New York. I could see that as being potentially controversial in the US today.

This way, like with Max von Sydow as Ming in Flash Gordon or Alec Baldwin in the beginning of The Shadow they manage to keep the iconic aspects of the characters for iconic villains and heroes (Ming is a ruthless warlord who sells himself as this incredible leader of men, the turtles know martial arts, etc.) while ejecting the notion that these characteristics exist because they represent potential/threats from a "mysterious orient" as per their source material.**

It also lets them jump more into the sci-fi stuff from the source material instead of worrying about ancient ninja feuds and such. Not really a better or worse way to adapt the material but why not. After TMNT III came out I doubt anyone ever involved in live action Turtles stuff wanted anything to do with warring clan politics and stuff.

*I know the original live action movie basically did exactly this, as did the Punisher movie released around the same time. If only these evil Japanese folks would stop doing business in illegal ways with us!!!

**I know TMNT comics began as a satire but they quickly grew beyond that once the cartoon/figures came out and it exploded into a franchise.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 27, 2014

sambafish
Sep 24, 2008

If you havin' hull problems I feel bad for you son/
I got 99 problems, but a breach ain't one/

Ror posted:

drat, I started to say to google screens from the 1990 film and look at how ugly those are, but I did it myself and I'm so wrong. Those costumes were loving awesome.

If I recall the first film had great costumes/puppetry but the quality declined and by the third film the Turtles looked atrocious.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

sambafish posted:

If I recall the first film had great costumes/puppetry but the quality declined and by the third film the Turtles looked atrocious.

Agreed. They were still okay in Secret of the Ooze, but oh lord, III was just a parade of suck.

Also, I demand Vanilla Ice on the soundtrack. :colbert:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I figure Shredder represents the kind of superhuman heroes that the dude is talking about creating. The Turtles were just accidents.

EDIT: Huh, that guy is the Shredder. Kinda weird, but still, the principle prolly is the same: the stuff is supposed to be used to make people more powerful as police/peacekeepers.

fwiw, I like the Turtle design. I liked the old ones too.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 27, 2014

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Ensign_Ricky you are taking what a villain says to a reporter at face value. Think about this for a second.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Ensign_Ricky you are taking what a villain says to a reporter at face value. Think about this for a second.

Actually, from what I've heard....that is true. It's an actual plot point that the goddamn Shredder wanted to create heroes.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Seems April o neil can only emote one expression which seems to be mouth agape while looking confused.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'm guessing that what the Shredder thinks of as heroes is not in line with what the average person imagines.

Edit: In the original movie Shredder is taking in children cast off by society which can be seen as a noble act. But he is also using them to fill up his ninja army which is pretty hosed up. Maybe wait until there's some context for his speech before you get upset about it.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 27, 2014

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
So Shredder and April's father helped create the turtles…. what are the odds that Splinter turns out to be April's father?

Oh god.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Pixeltendo posted:

Seems April o neil Megan Fox can only emote one expression which seems to be mouth agape while looking confused.

There we go.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I'm guessing that what the Shredder thinks of as heroes is not in line with what the average person imagines.

Let me make this clear: I'm not saying something like that couldn't work. I would love for it to just be Shredder loving around. But this is Michael Bay we're talking about, so I don't have a lot of faith that this film will be subtle.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Fichtner as Shredder is inspired and will probably make this movie worth watching.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Let me make this clear: I'm not saying something like that couldn't work. I would love for it to just be Shredder loving around. But this is Michael Bay we're talking about, so I don't have a lot of faith that this film will be subtle.

Well yeah I expect this movie to be real bad but that line doesn't bother me at all.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

der juicen posted:

I think it looks pretty fun and the turtles look great?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Naet posted:

Fichtner as Shredder is inspired and will probably make this movie worth watching.

He doesn't even need a face mask.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

There we go.

Let's make sure to keep nipping this in the bud, Bay did not make this movie.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Crappy Jack posted:

Let's make sure to keep nipping this in the bud, Bay did not make this movie.

He's the producer. It doubtless has his stank all over it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pixeltendo posted:

Seems April o neil can only emote one expression which seems to be mouth agape while looking confused.
They missed a real opportunity not casting her as Bebop.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

So.. you posted a screenshot to... refute my opinion. :thumbsup: Still standing by that the turtles look fine.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

He's the producer. It doubtless has his stank all over it.

This is like saying the Transformers movies had Speilberg's "stank" all over them.

I've been a TMNT fan since the original cartoon started when I was 5. I'm cautiously interested in this movie. Unlike the purists, I've appreciated the various takes on the franchise I've seen over the past 25 years, and I'm not going to start blasting this movie just because it switches some things around.

Wait till you see how ridiculous Shredder's armor is in this movie. The had to CG some of the bits and pieces in there. His cape is essentially made up of hundreds of razors.

I wish they'd given us a glimpse of Splinter in the trailer.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

der juicen posted:

So.. you posted a screenshot to... refute my opinion. :thumbsup: Still standing by that the turtles look fine.

I just don't know how you can look at the screenshot and think your opinion is one you can stand by, sorry! :shrug:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I just don't know how you can look at the screenshot and think your opinion is one you can stand by, sorry! :shrug:

Every iteration of Ninja Turtles looks doofy as gently caress.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The only thing throwing me off with the look is that I grew up with Turtles with a round, bulbous nose. My immediate reaction is that they look like their noses were pushed up against glass.

But I'll get over it. I want to see something about the Objectively-Best Turtle, Raphael. He better act like he might cut you half the time.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

hypersleep posted:

This is like saying the Transformers movies had Speilberg's "stank" all over them.

His influence was there, though. I distinctly remember that Spielberg had to repeatedly reign in Bay during the filming of Transformers 1. He was more hands-off in RotF...and, well....

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

transformings 1 def had the speilerg stink on it

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
As far as mutant turtles who are also ninjas go these ones look pretty drat good in my opinion.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Ensign Ricky will ruin this thread calling it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Jonathan Liebesman has only ever made terrible movies, and this will likely also be terrible, but I'm also kinda into it. Looks goofy as gently caress.

• Locked thread