Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

Really? That model doesn't look horrific. It's perfectly suited for a movie about the Geriatric Mutant Ninja Turtles.

It might not look horrific to us, but the casual movie audience who only really knows the turtles from the 87 Fred Wolf cartoon or the current Nick cartoon? They're going to be surprised enough at what TMNT2014 *is* going to give them, never mind what that model looks like.

I mean, I almost can't blame them for giving them human like faces, as turtles just don't have faces that scream "as a human being, you can totally identify with me and my emotions!" Look at this thing:

Yes, to me, that looks loving cool because I grew up with not just the Fred Wolf cartoon but also the Mirage comics once I got a little older, and the Mirage comics were full of crazy weird alternate takes on the turtles. But to anyone that doesn't have that background? Realistic anthropomorphic turtles would be utterly bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It would be cool if they were twisted, evil looking kappa things.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

hypersleep posted:

Eh, TMNT2K14 don't look turtley at all in my opinion, with the exception of the shells.

The reason TMNT2K14 look the way they do is the same reason Bay's Prime was given lips: the people making this film feel like audiences will be able to identify better with more human like turtles -- they'll be able to convey emotion better.

General moviegoing audiences would recoil at actually realistic anthropomorphic turtles:

I really wanted them to look like this, and each of them has the voice of the Crypt Keeper.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
That looks horrible and more like a generic fantasy lizard. The gently caress.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
This thread is really bad because it's a compendium of every possible nerd cliche reaction.

Halle Berry looks vapid, Zack Snyder's a fratboy, George Lucas raped my childhood, I don't like Catwoman's feet, Superman's too grimdark, Hugh Jackman's too tall....

Avatar's problem was not that it was "Dances With Smurfs (lol they're blue! Blue is the color of Smurfs that are also CGI!)," but that it was very dumb about racism and, therefore, dumb about how we understand alien people with different-coloured skin. If anything, Avatar did the Smurfs a grave disservice.

The proper fan response is not "The turtles look like Shrek and Shrek is poo poo therefore everything is poo poo" but, rather, "Shrek looks like a Ninja Turtle and consequently should have been afforded that same level of respect."

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

He looks so hungry. So, so hungry.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Senf posted:

He looks so hungry. So, so hungry.

It was during the Bloomberg years and they were going to depict a New York that had banned pizza.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The proper fan response is not "The turtles look like Shrek and Shrek is poo poo therefore everything is poo poo" but, rather, "Shrek looks like a Ninja Turtle and consequently should have been afforded that same level of respect."

In a posting career of banal poo poo wrapped in the veneer of erudition this post takes the cake.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Inevitable fan redesign time!

It's funny how much less creepy just getting rid of the nostrils makes the design look.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I was always fond of these redesigns.

Just give them the color bandanas, maybe.

Doctor Bishop posted:

It's funny how much less creepy just getting rid of the nostrils makes the design look.

It is. Their problem was they made them much more detailed while simultaneously making them look nothing like turtles. The lips just don't do them any favors.

I don't like Catwoman's feet

That literally was the only thing I heard about what was an otherwise excellent movie!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This thread is really bad because it's a compendium of every possible nerd cliche reaction.

Halle Berry looks vapid, Zack Snyder's a fratboy, George Lucas raped my childhood, I don't like Catwoman's feet, Superman's too grimdark, Hugh Jackman's too tall....

Avatar's problem was not that it was "Dances With Smurfs (lol they're blue! Blue is the color of Smurfs that are also CGI!)," but that it was very dumb about racism and, therefore, dumb about how we understand alien people with different-coloured skin. If anything, Avatar did the Smurfs a grave disservice.

Yeah but what do you think about ninja turtles?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I think the mouth is a bigger offender. It's an human mouth but way too wide. When you put the nose bulge on and the upper lip is gone it looks more animal like and not as creepy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doctor Bishop posted:

It's impossible that this wasn't pitched during concept stages. The realistic eyes are a huge step up from the 90's live action turtles but the nose holes are completely offputting. That Michelangelo with the 90's nose and modern everything else looks so loving good...:smith:

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Nostrils: You need to have them on a realistic redesign. Animals breathe. Turtles have nostrils. Where the TMNT2014 movie gets it wrong is giving them this weird flattened "nose" thing along with the nostrils.

Lips: The lips are too prominent in the TMNT2014 designs. It would be nice to ditch them altogether, but realistically, a creature without humanlike lips would have a difficult time speaking human languages. Severe burn victims who lose their lips typically have to speak very carefully.

All that said, it's a movie about mutant turtles, so realism is a second consideration. Leave the nostrils, ditch the nose bump and lips

But hey, what's done is done.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

In a posting career of banal poo poo wrapped in the veneer of erudition this post takes the cake.

I shouldn't have to point out that it was bad filmmaking, not the basic concept of 'ogres', that made Shrek crap. But here we are.

Ror posted:

Yeah but what do you think about ninja turtles?

All the turtles have subtly different body types. Donatello is noticeably lankier than the others because he's the nerd archetype, for example.

Michaelangelo is chubbier - with more rounded, humanoid features - because he's the kid-friendly comic relief guy. The others won't look funny.

If you want to see how the turtles are likely to be presented, don't look to Shrek - look to the cyclopes in Wrath Of The Titans. The cyclopes are mostly unseen, attacking with guerilla tactics. You get glimpses of a hand, or a foot, until they back off on orders from their aged master. From there, they're presented as 'just people,' though grotesquely large and with hyperreal levels of CG detail. Each one has a very different body type and mannerisms, in contrast to (say) the cave trolls in Lord Of The Rings.

Liebesman is one of the most obvious auteurs working today, so it's easy to predict the film's content. His films are consistently about unconventional family units and (in a related way) the blurry line between human, inhuman, and even non-human.

I can all but guarantee that the turtles will be similar to the cyclopes, but in an expanded role. The real protagonist and focus of the film, however, will be April, as she comes to realize that these mutant aliens are her brothers - not just symbolically, but probably even literal 'Dr. Moreau'-style human-animal hybrids. This is why the turtles have human facial features, and April's dad was the scientist involved in their creation: they are human. It's more Splice than Transformers.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 2, 2014

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

If you want to see how the turtles are likely to be presented, don't look to Shrek - look to the cyclopes in Wrath Of The Titans. The cyclopes are mostly unseen, attacking with guerilla tactics. You get glimpses of a hand, or a foot, until they back off on orders from their aged master. From there, they're presented as 'just people,' though grotesquely large and with hyperreal levels of CG detail. Each one has a very different body type and mannerisms, in contrast to (say) the cave trolls in Lord Of The Rings.

This could almost describe the original TMNT movie. There the turtles are obscured for as long as possible until the big reveal. First you see their eyes, then hear them, then see their shadows, then the title screen interrupts, etc. It's a better Frank Miller movie than any Frank Miller movie.

It must be nice for Liebesman to work on a movie where he will get 0% of the blame when it comes out due to Bay being an easy target.

Corek fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 2, 2014

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Wasn't the idea that the Ooze spliced their DNA with humans or something? Or whatever they were close to? Or is that just the '87 cartoon?

I remember a bit saying that the baby turtle were last playing with Splinter when they touched the Ooze, but Human-style Splinter was off playing with rats.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
In the cartoon the turtles had been around Hamato Yoshi, so they turned human. Yoshi happened to be loving around with some rats that day so that's what happened to him.

The movie is different. Splinter is a pet-rat of Yoshi's and the ooze does the same thing to him that it does to the turtles.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

I find this way less offputting than the official design, because it just looks like a turtle head. The redesign looks like a mutated human baby head. People like to look at animals. As far as I know people don't like to look at mutated babies.

This is all for moot though, because the script will probably be so bad that discussion about the look & feel will be pointless.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Polo-Rican posted:

I find this way less offputting than the official design, because it just looks like a turtle head. The redesign looks like a mutated human baby head. People like to look at animals. As far as I know people don't like to look at mutated babies.

This is all for moot though, because the script will probably be so bad that discussion about the look & feel will be pointless.

Why would people that don't want to see mutants go see a mutant turtle movie? And what makes you think the script will suck? It was written by the Ghost Protocol dudes, and that was movie was fun.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 2, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Ghost Protocol pedigree is very promising. I can't think of much that would move my total disinterest to interest but Ghost Protocol is a phenomenal action movie.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

In the cartoon the turtles had been around Hamato Yoshi, so they turned human. Yoshi happened to be loving around with some rats that day so that's what happened to him.

The movie is different. Splinter is a pet-rat of Yoshi's and the ooze does the same thing to him that it does to the turtles.

Yeah, the movie followed the comic book origin. In the comics the ooze anthropomorphizes and raises the intelligence of creatures it comes into contact with. It's a substance created by a benevolent alien race called Utroms, some of whom were stranded on Earth when their ship crashed. They eventually decided to stay on Earth and founded TCRI as a front company to continue their scientific research.

Krang in the 87 cartoon was loosely based on the Utroms. The current Nick cartoon calls the Utroms "The Kraang," as they're evil in that cartoon.

I'm kind of surprised they ditched the alien origin of the ooze for the new movie.

Unless Fichtner Shredder is an Utrom...!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

hypersleep posted:

Yeah, the movie followed the comic book origin. In the comics the ooze anthropomorphizes and raises the intelligence of creatures it comes into contact with. It's a substance created by a benevolent alien race called Utroms, some of whom were stranded on Earth when their ship crashed. They eventually decided to stay on Earth and founded TCRI as a front company to continue their scientific research.

Krang in the 87 cartoon was loosely based on the Utroms. The current Nick cartoon calls the Utroms "The Kraang," as they're evil in that cartoon.

I'm kind of surprised they ditched the alien origin of the ooze for the new movie.

Unless Fichtner Shredder is an Utrom...!

Well the origins of the turtles/ooze were going to be from space, so that's probably what they meant, until the internet outrage machine kicked into high gear anyway.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

We're never going to see Bebop and Rocksteady again are we?

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

Yaws posted:

We're never going to see Bebop and Rocksteady again are we?

Not unless you want to see them with horrifying burn victim faces.

Mazreal fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 3, 2014

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

hypersleep posted:

Eh, TMNT2K14 don't look turtley at all in my opinion, with the exception of the shells.

The reason TMNT2K14 look the way they do is the same reason Bay's Prime was given lips: the people making this film feel like audiences will be able to identify better with more human like turtles -- they'll be able to convey emotion better.

General moviegoing audiences would recoil at actually realistic anthropomorphic turtles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqW5upASa-8:nws: for turtle dicks

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Dacap posted:

Geeks Of Doom is saying that TMNT might be pushed back as far as Nov/Dec to reshoot up to 1/3 of the film

quote:

UPDATE: Paramount Pictures has confirmed that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will not move from its August 8, 2014 release date. Michael Bay also announced on Twitter that the film would not be delayed.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

whorfin posted:

Hands up everybody who grew up on the original Eastman and Laird Mirage books in the early 80's, and feels like TMNT was ruined the second Archie Comics turned them into the mainstream crap that apparently everyone else in the world loves and now feels like is being ruined by Bay's reinvisioning.

Or is it just me?

gently caress, I'm old...

Anyway, the original TMNT, give em a shot and see just how far they've fallen. No skateboard. No jokes. No Rocksteady or Bepop. Sometimes April was black, sometimes she was white. No stupid crap. Well... Ok... There were the Triceratons...

http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Classics-ebook/dp/B00IU2F2XU

I was too young to have read the Mirage books, but they were an enigma I was aware of, that TMNT began as a dark ironic satire and was turned into something else. I'm curious what initiated the shift into toys and a cartoon. Was the original comic popular with kids?

I still think it's silly that people are focusing on that shot of Michelangelo since the punchline is supposed to be that he looks like a mutant creature. I hope they explore themes of alienation since it's one of the elements touched on by the first movie that I like, when Raphael goes into a rage over getting called a freak. The premise of TMNT is so bizarre that there's a freedom to tell any kind of story with the characters. I like the idea of someone taking something weird and making me care about it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

whorfin posted:

Hands up everybody who grew up on the original Eastman and Laird Mirage books in the early 80's, and feels like TMNT was ruined the second Archie Comics turned them into the mainstream crap that apparently everyone else in the world loves and now feels like is being ruined by Bay's reinvisioning.

The Archie comics series was actually really, really unique and strange and nothing like anybody's mainstream idea of the franchise. Like they rode around in a giant cow head and IIRC one of the comic relief characters had a tragic genocide subplot played straight.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I was never a regular reader of the Archie version of the turtles, but the few issues I did read were incredibly weird.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Lord Krangdar posted:

The Archie comics series was actually really, really unique and strange and nothing like anybody's mainstream idea of the franchise. Like they rode around in a giant cow head and IIRC one of the comic relief characters had a tragic genocide subplot played straight.

Also the Four Horsemen were in it at some point maybe?? I know the fighting game for the SNES had War as a character at any rate.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I could :spergin: out about TMNT all fuckin day in this thread but I'll try not to. I know too much poo poo about TMNT probably (definitely). If there is something anyone wants actual across-the-franchise context for or explained or whatever I can, but I doubt anyone really gives a poo poo.

Anyway as a longterm fan of course I thought the trailer looked pretty lovely, but I'm in no way shocked. As soon as Bay's name was attached it was pretty likely that we'd be getting "Transformers but TMNT" so I never had high hopes going in on this one. I'd say it has the potential to be a new low point for the series, perhaps. But Next Mutation is pretty strong competition so we'll see. There was a leaked script for this movie awhile back that was just god awful, and even just the scenes we see in the trailer can confirm that at least some of the script is still in. The snowy mountain part is pretty much straight from it. There WAS a bunch of poo poo with Casey and doing a road trip from Iowa maybe? to New York with the TMNT hiding in a moving trailer but that is all hopefully gone since there seems to be no Casey at all in favor of Vernon of all fuckin characters to bring back.

Anyway, trailer stuff. Here's a screenshot of the big scroll thing from someone on a TMNT forum:

I assume I don't have to spoiler poo poo that's in the trailer and speculation? Anyway that's pretty drat likely to be a feudal Japan version of Krang's android body there. The Turtles are mixed in on the left side with those dudes, and someone pointed out the bottom left of said group seems to maybe have an Utrom walking around with them. So I'd say we're likely to have either Utroms or Kraang in this, my best guess would be they get called Kraang, are from Dimension X, and probably white guy Shredder is one or at least working with them (or I guess maybe stole the mutagen from them).

It's gonna be pretty hilarious if they intentionally lifted from the third movie and the Utrom shredder* from the 2003 show, as those are both fairly hated/controversial and having both of those in a movie that already looks lovely is....brave? at best. Let's just hope there's no girl turtle I suppose.

*I actually liked the Utrom Shredder, it let them have some decent battles with him for a kids show at least.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Anyway that's pretty drat likely to be a feudal Japan version of Krang's android body there.

Why is that likely? It just looks like some samurai leader who may or may not be significant.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Toady posted:

Why is that likely? It just looks like some samurai leader who may or may not be significant.

He's towering over every other soldier on the battlefield and he's not even standing up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Light Gun Man posted:

I could :spergin: out about TMNT all fuckin day in this thread but I'll try not to. I know too much poo poo about TMNT probably (definitely). If there is something anyone wants actual across-the-franchise context for or explained or whatever I can, but I doubt anyone really gives a poo poo.

Anyway as a longterm fan of course I thought the trailer looked pretty lovely, but I'm in no way shocked. As soon as Bay's name was attached it was pretty likely that we'd be getting "Transformers but TMNT" so I never had high hopes going in on this one. I'd say it has the potential to be a new low point for the series, perhaps. But Next Mutation is pretty strong competition so we'll see. There was a leaked script for this movie awhile back that was just god awful, and even just the scenes we see in the trailer can confirm that at least some of the script is still in. The snowy mountain part is pretty much straight from it. There WAS a bunch of poo poo with Casey and doing a road trip from Iowa maybe? to New York with the TMNT hiding in a moving trailer but that is all hopefully gone since there seems to be no Casey at all in favor of Vernon of all fuckin characters to bring back.

Anyway, trailer stuff. Here's a screenshot of the big scroll thing from someone on a TMNT forum:

I assume I don't have to spoiler poo poo that's in the trailer and speculation? Anyway that's pretty drat likely to be a feudal Japan version of Krang's android body there. The Turtles are mixed in on the left side with those dudes, and someone pointed out the bottom left of said group seems to maybe have an Utrom walking around with them. So I'd say we're likely to have either Utroms or Kraang in this, my best guess would be they get called Kraang, are from Dimension X, and probably white guy Shredder is one or at least working with them (or I guess maybe stole the mutagen from them).

It's gonna be pretty hilarious if they intentionally lifted from the third movie and the Utrom shredder* from the 2003 show, as those are both fairly hated/controversial and having both of those in a movie that already looks lovely is....brave? at best. Let's just hope there's no girl turtle I suppose.

*I actually liked the Utrom Shredder, it let them have some decent battles with him for a kids show at least.

We have a TMNT megathread in BSS, come sperg with us there if you like.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

He's towering over every other soldier on the battlefield and he's not even standing up.

I mean, I have no idea what it is, but I don't see why the sizes of the people should be taken literally or why it's most likely to be Krang of all things. My assumption would be that it's Oroku Saki and the Foot Clan since that's a common storyline in various incarnations of TMNT.

Toady fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 3, 2014

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

They've just announced some recasting of the voice actors, Johnny Knoxville is replacing Pete Ploznek as Leonardo and Tony Shaloub is replacing Danny Woodburn as Splinter, both Ploznek and Woodburn did the mocap acting.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Dacap posted:

They've just announced some recasting of the voice actors, Johnny Knoxville is replacing Pete Ploznek as Leonardo and Tony Shaloub is replacing Danny Woodburn as Splinter, both Ploznek and Woodburn did the mocap acting.

Aw, I was actually kind of excited to hear Woodburn's Splinter because I thought he might have a bit more of a cranky or exasperated take on him. I love Shaloub but I've heard his usual laconic thing a bunch of times.

Knoxville as a turtle... who knows? He has some fun energy but I can't recall that ever coming through in a voice role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

Well that's just going to look terrible now won't it.

• Locked thread