Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Jack Endino had a good quote in the "Such Hawks, Such Hounds" documentary. I can't recall the exact wording, but he basically said that "Stoner Rock" is really just "Grunge," and both of those things are really just 70s heavy rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I dunno, I think J Mascis had always been too big of a dork to really be considered the proto-cobain. Paul Westerberg is probably a better candidate, at least vocally.

It doesn't seem like Dinosaur jr. gets brought up enough when people talk about Cobain's influences. At least on paper, You're Living All Over Me was one of the earliest templates for Nirvana/grunge in general where all the influences came together, mainly the blend of 70s rock and punk. Overall Dino jr is brighter sounding than most of the popular grunge acts were, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Sebadoh as in Lou Barlow's band?

Dino Jr. Is great and I think Mascis certainly is one of the pioneers of grunge in terms of fashion and persona (I think the comparison between Mascis and Kurt has more to do with them being disdainful of the media and apathetic with regards to, fame, and success than attitude. Kurt projects passion and Mascis varies between mild bemusement and complete withdrawal depending on who is interviewing). Living All Over is such a great loving album and undoubtedly influenced Kurt Cobain.That cover of Just Like Heaven is perfect.

If Dino Jr isn't grunge it's only because Mascis is too talented a guitarist. There is definitely a more Hendrix/Clapton feel to his solos

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm gonna crosspost this here from the sludge/stoner/doom thread, because it's relevant

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/26674096/the-colossus-of-destiny-a-melvins-tale

Kickstarter for a doc about the Melvins. Lots of cool rewards.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Frances Bean Cobain is producing an HBO doc about Kurt, and it looks like I'm gonna be reduced into a feelpuddle by the end of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IBWbpJdRMQ

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Fly McCool posted:

Sebadoh as in Lou Barlow's band?

I'm just a fan of the Latin American variety show and also a terrible speller.

quote:

Dino Jr. Is great and I think Mascis certainly is one of the pioneers of grunge in terms of fashion and persona (I think the comparison between Mascis and Kurt has more to do with them being disdainful of the media and apathetic with regards to, fame, and success than attitude. Kurt projects passion and Mascis varies between mild bemusement and complete withdrawal depending on who is interviewing).

I think you're getting into a bit of an 'early 90s mainstream media' mindset with this assertion. I mean yeah, Kurt Cobain was influenced by Mascis' music but it's not like he actually modeled his behavior after J. They were both introverts thrust into the spotlight and they handled it in different ways. More broadly though, the 'slacker' ethos of grunge is too vague and broad to merit attribution to anyone in particular. And the fashion thing isn't really true unless purple adidas track jackets were considered 'grunge' in the early 90s.

quote:

Living All Over is such a great loving album and undoubtedly influenced Kurt Cobain.That cover of Just Like Heaven is perfect.

If Dino Jr isn't grunge it's only because Mascis is too talented a guitarist. There is definitely a more Hendrix/Clapton feel to his solos

No love for Peter Frampton? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as6pXqWYE4U

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
When this whole thing took off in 1988-1989 I was 21-22 years old. To me it was cool because there were all these local groups getting hype and except for Chris Cornell the dudes were not "poster boy" material. That was a break from the norm.

The TAD documentary Busted Circuits and Ringing Ears is up on YouTube in full now and is awesome if you want to learn about the Seattle "grunge" era in the late 80s and early 90s. There are interviews with Krist Novoselic, Mark Arm, Bruce Pavitt and Jonathan Poneman, Kim Thayil...

http://youtu.be/Hj1PvipY6bc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I think you're getting into a bit of an 'early 90s mainstream media' mindset with this assertion. I mean yeah, Kurt Cobain was influenced by Mascis' music but it's not like he actually modeled his behavior after J. They were both introverts thrust into the spotlight and they handled it in different ways. More broadly though, the 'slacker' ethos of grunge is too vague and broad to merit attribution to anyone in particular. And the fashion thing isn't really true unless purple adidas track jackets were considered 'grunge' in the early 90s.

No love for Peter Frampton?

Yeah I think we are agreeing with each other. I was trying to say that I think the comparisons come from the fact that both are perceived as "subversives" but other than that, there really isn't much of one other than the conscientious decision not to be rock stars/go the glam route.

I was thinking Clapton and Hendrix more in terms of distortion, but Frampton is an apt comparison, too. Nice track.

Here's my favorite version of Just Like Heaven off the same album (KEXP approved): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBsfuN7kefE

• Locked thread