Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

No Real Pattern posted:

The 'tips' in this are incredible
"touching flames will set you on fire"
"sprint to go faster"
"If you run out of life, you die"
"leave the smoky area before taking a deep breath"

really? thanks game!

Perfectly fine to eat food found around an erupting volcano, though. It's just a bit burnt and ashy, nothing your digestive and immune systems can't handle. Crackers? Perfectly okay. Burgers? Horf that poo poo down. :burger:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

tlarn posted:

Perfectly fine to eat food found around an erupting volcano, though. It's just a bit burnt and ashy, nothing your digestive and immune systems can't handle. Crackers? Perfectly okay. Burgers? Horf that poo poo down. :burger:
Everything is fine when it's boxed up for an emergency! Though it is odd that the food items never heal you like in other games, all they do is refill your stamina...or give you experience because you're a glutton.

Jade Star posted:

Watching this, but the level of attention Niggurath puts into the lp so far is fabulous.

Also I don't have gimp anymore, that makes me sad.
I'm sincerely not paying attention to anything in this game that isn't food related, falling apart, or exploding.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
This LP has already gotten off to a magical start. :allears:

tlarn posted:

I like to imagine our intrepid protagonist is paid in freakishly oversized burgers rather than actual cash. The burger we found on the mountain? He was going to get that after they got back to base. :v:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

So he's basically Action Rescue Scooby Doo?

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Niggurath posted:

I'm sincerely not paying attention to anything in this game that isn't food related, falling apart, or exploding.

Clearly that's a lie because it says right there that South America is exploding.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
The relationship between Steve and Ray is strictly tectonic.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Clearly that's a lie because it says right there that South America is exploding.
Nah, South America is mostly fine; but that particular mountain is pretty hosed.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
This game ( Disaster: Day of :burger::fireman: ) was made by Monolith software, a subsidiary of Nintendo. They're well known for their Xeno series, and their Kyoto Studio has co-developed stuff with Nintendo EADs (Skyward Sword, Pikmin3, etc).
This game was not made Monolith Productions, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. They're well known for their F.E.A.R. series and Condemned, among other games.

No wonder I've always been confused as all hell by this poo poo for all these years. There are two dev studios called Monolith. :tinfoil:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No wonder the game looks pretty good.
Well, by Wii standards.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

:allears:
Literally the first thing I said to him. Well, after his name.

And here I thought we'd never agree on anything :)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I know I know the protagonist's voice from somewhere and it's driving me crazy.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Then the next update, and all subsequent updates, will have a separate cut commentary version. I aim to please.

anilEhilated posted:

I know I know the protagonist's voice from somewhere and it's driving me crazy.
It's apparently this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEfOEmYadaQ

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

tlarn posted:

Aside from the texture being a bit sandy, food covered in fine volcanic ash is perfectly edible, just a bit, dry and choke-y. I just wiped it off my sammich, was fine.

GenHavoc posted:

And here I thought we'd never agree on anything :)
:ocelot:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

When I first heard of this game I thought it would be something like the Disaster report games, a mostly normal and simplified game about surviving during a disaster with a few funny things like stealing a chefs hat for dress up. Then I saw it and was blown away, I'm looking forward to seeing your journey through all this.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
The quality of the voice acting, and entire method of exposition, sounds right out of Time Crisis.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Help whats going on

Edit: help

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 31, 2014

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

When I grow up, I wanna be a burgball.

necroid
May 14, 2009

I though this was going to be a game about rescuing people from disaster areas and then the intro movie pulls out marines, choppers, nukes and presumably nuke-borne tsunamis, I was a bit confused.

Also Niggurath the new microphone sounds good, can't tell if your voice changed or if I was just used to hearing it recorded with crappy microphones.

Definitely gonna watch this.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

One year later and things haven't been going so hot for Ray. He's quit the International Rescue Team and settled in for a nice, safe job of pushing papers...but it seems like fate has something more in store for our intrepid protagonist. It seems that the FBI are in need of his particular skill set and they have an ace up their sleeve to bring Ray into the game in the form of Steve's sister, Lisa, who has been kidnapped. Will Ray be able to survive all the dangers that lay in wait in the SURGE hideout or is he doomed to suffer another emotional and physical disaster?

Hel posted:

When I first heard of this game I thought it would be something like the Disaster report games, a mostly normal and simplified game about surviving during a disaster with a few funny things like stealing a chefs hat for dress up. Then I saw it and was blown away, I'm looking forward to seeing your journey through all this.
A part of me wants to say that this is a part of that series of games but I'm not totally sure.

necroid posted:

I though this was going to be a game about rescuing people from disaster areas and then the intro movie pulls out marines, choppers, nukes and presumably nuke-borne tsunamis, I was a bit confused.

Also Niggurath the new microphone sounds good, can't tell if your voice changed or if I was just used to hearing it recorded with crappy microphones.

Definitely gonna watch this.
I'm glad it's sounding better all around, though I fear you might still be thinking of how lovely I sounded back on Necrovision....gently caress, that sounded so bad in retrospect. But yeah, things will go in many unexpected directions in this game and it will be a bizarre thrill ride.

Panzer Skank posted:

Help whats going on

That seriously looks like Ray is trying to do the 'Clone High' montage pose thing.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Niggurath posted:

That seriously looks like Ray is trying to do the 'Clone High' montage pose thing.

You forgot step 4

(I'm so fuckin mad you immediately knew what I was thinking of when I drew it)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think what gets me most about the cutscenes is how everyone is obsessed with first names even when they've never seen the man before. There's no Raymond Bryce, there's no Steven Mancrush, it's always "This is Ray, I'm going in!"
The game looks like it can only get more ridiculous, but it starts pretty high on that scale and keeps reminding you with every cutscene.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Finally I've been sitting on these for like 5 hours

SODAS

FRUITS

BURGS REDUX

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The giant food is aggressively silly, yeah.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
The "boss" for the level looked like Steve (or just a palette swap, who knows) that I was surprised it didn't send Ray into a PTSD flashback, mumbling about how he tried to save him.

I do hope there's a sandwich item Ray gets to eat, just for how hilarious I imagine the animation for that being.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

grancheater posted:

SODAS

FRUITS

BURGS REDUX

The giant food is the best part of this game. Also, the "slap face, get pumped" action.

Gestalt Illusion
May 28, 2013

I knew the voice actor for the first boss sounded familiar, it's Dan Southworth that some of you might know as Vergil in Devil May Cry 3. Took me a while to realize that since he wasn't shouting about motivation and whatnot.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Niggurath posted:

A part of me wants to say that this is a part of that series of games but I'm not totally sure.

Unfortunately not, there was Disaster Report 4 under development but it was canceled after the earthquake, and 3 was a japan only PSP game. But I can't find any info on overlapping people, so I can't say there aren't people that worked on both.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
If this cities a-rockin' don't come a-knockin'

grancheater posted:

SODAS

FRUITS

BURGS REDUX

"You can't eat everything" ~ Steve
(luv u grancheater)

Hel posted:

Unfortunately not, there was Disaster Report 4 under development but it was canceled after the earthquake, and 3 was a japan only PSP game. But I can't find any info on overlapping people, so I can't say there aren't people that worked on both.

Don't forget RAW DANGER

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Oh man. I forgot how loving dumb this entire game and it's plot are. This will be wonderful and keep getting better.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Turns out earthquakes are commonplace when, like Ray, you ate so much a black hole formed in your tummy.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

ChaosSamusX posted:

Oh man. I forgot how loving dumb this entire game and it's plot are. This will be wonderful and keep getting better.
It does; I'm mostly trying to remember where Coulis left off before or if most people even remember what happens....because it's going to get really stupid, really quick.

Hel posted:

That's really weird that there would be this niche of disaster gaming that they wouldn't be the same series, but considering all the different farming simulators out there I guess it makes sense.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 2, 2014

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Don't make fun of Ray's eating habits, that's how he copes with stress.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Niggurath posted:

It does; I'm mostly trying to remember where Coulis left off before or if most people even remember what happens....because it's going to get really stupid, really quick.

That's really weird that there would be this niche of disaster gaming that they wouldn't be the same series, but considering all the different farming simulators out there I guess it makes sense.

I looked up Coulis LP on the masterlist, unfortunately it was on Blip so it's lost now, but according to the thread the last ep was named "BAINSVILLE PT2". Hopefully you know what that is because I have no idea if it's something from the game or just made up.

Personally I like the idea of disaster games because they're Survival Horror without the horror, meaning I can play them and still sleep at night.

coleman francis posted:

Don't forget RAW DANGER

I should probably finish that. I think I still have my savegame.

Hel fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 2, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I like the concept of combining a third person adventure game and a railshooter. Though the technical execution could've been far better.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This game is legit awesome and anybody who thinks differently basically hates fun. Forget Xenoblade and The Last Story, this was one of the greatest games on the Wii.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

This game is legit awesome and anybody who thinks differently basically hates fun. Forget Xenoblade and The Last Story, this was one of the greatest games on the Wii.
You are very correct and seriously the only bad thing about the game, to me anyway, is the combat. And I say that mostly because the first time I was playing through I was not getting better guns or upgrading my weapons....so it was a little tough. Thankfully I'm a smarter man now and I know to upgrade, and it'll be amazing once we do that (though the game is a jerk and we won't be seeing it till update four).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Niggurath posted:

You are very correct and seriously the only bad thing about the game, to me anyway, is the combat. And I say that mostly because the first time I was playing through I was not getting better guns or upgrading my weapons....so it was a little tough. Thankfully I'm a smarter man now and I know to upgrade, and it'll be amazing once we do that (though the game is a jerk and we won't be seeing it till update four).

You should also consider using the concentration mode thing when you pick up the shotgun (spoiler alert: you get a shotgun). It's scattershot makes the annoying zoom in and extra sensitive aiming less of an issue.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I'm bad at timing buttons, cleaning wounds, and shooting poo poo. But I'm alright for saying stupid poo poo.

Also here is a bonus video involving my junk handling:

Junk Challenge Shooting Range Extreme

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Sheesh, were they really expecting people to complete that junk challenge shooting range thing? All the savescumming in the world couldn't cut the tedium and difficulty out of that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I think that shop's actually called La Jetee, which is possibly a reference to the French short film La Jetée. I only bring it up because it is good and people should see it.

• Locked thread