Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I have been near a volcanic eruption.

It was not like that at all. No tragic deaths or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Colorred posted:

Are you getting Deceitful Penguin in these videos? Please tell me you are. I loved your LP of Michigan with him.
:allears:

GenHavoc posted:

I doubt there's much of value in them, but I'm afraid that talking over cutscenes in an LP drives me irrationally crazy. If it's not too much trouble, can I submit a vote for a non-talking-over version?
Literally the first thing I said to him. Well, after his name.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

tlarn posted:

Perfectly fine to eat food found around an erupting volcano, though. It's just a bit burnt and ashy, nothing your digestive and immune systems can't handle. Crackers? Perfectly okay. Burgers? Horf that poo poo down. :burger:
Aside from the texture being a bit sandy, food covered in fine volcanic ash is perfectly edible, just a bit, dry and choke-y. I just wiped it off my sammich, was fine.

GenHavoc posted:

And here I thought we'd never agree on anything :)
:ocelot:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I can't wait for Ray to fight against the evil paramilitary group jacking nukes by tossing chunks of concrete at them.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Derek Barona posted:

Also, I don't mean this in any sort of negative way so please don't take it as such, but please do more co-commentary LPs, Niggurath. Having gone through a bunch of your LPs in the Archive, I find myself really enjoying your commentary in this one when you're not trying to be super-polite to the audience and it's more of a "Well, here's THIS fuckin' game" tone to it.
Boy, you musta enjoyed his Duke ones then, that was all co-commentary I think.

Also I am now considering starting the "Burning Park" diet. That might be a good marketing scheme.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yea, as someone whos been in several earthquakes, some of which were quite strong (Including a double 6.3 one), a volcanic eruption (I got to see that I will still look fab with grey hair), a minor tsunami and extensive flooding, I can say that fire twister thing is scary as poo poo.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Judging from what I heard over here in Western Australia, I'd say they were pretty bad.

Also, I resent those remarks. :v: Not really, but y'know. Not everything's trying to kill you; only most of it!
My aunt went over there to work on her doctorate, I keep debating if I should send her the stuff from Auspol or not. She did like some of the informative videos about the usage of the c-word.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 16, 2014

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

Holy christ where the hell do you live? Are you IN Blue Ridge City right now chronicling this game's accuracy? Seriously though that's incredible stuff and I was seriously wondering if firestorms were real because a concept like that cannot exist in videogames alone.
They're...horrifyingly beautiful.

\/ Edit: Well insta-points to Penguin because Iceland is awesome, I mean the gateway to the Centre of the Earth is there how can it NOT be awesome?
Visit my thread in A/T where I actually act like a human being if you want to know more! Although that tsunami wasn't in Iceland, it was in Japan and the floods were in Germany. There have been floods here too, but those were in the South-East, where I visit the second least, so I didn't experience them there except in the highlands and it doesn't count except in habitation.

I forget if this game has rockslides, mudslides or avalanches, which I've gone through, seen the aftermath of and seen happen from a distance, respectively, though in the last one they'd built the protective things well enough that it all went past the town. A house in my grandparents valley wasn't so lucky and my distant family there died just 14-15 years back though. :( Disasters are a sad and serious thing, but it's better to make light of them and carry on smiling rather than let them rule over you, is the Icelandic view.

Ray actually strikes me as fairly indicative of the people working in the rescuing services here; well built, has some sad/bad things in his past and terrible hair. One of the guys I know well has a ginger ponytail. Spiky hair is nothing compared to that.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

I'm sorry to hear :( but I do approve of that attitude to not let disasters emotionally control you and take it on the chin, that's a philosophy I try to take myself even though I've been fortunate enough not to suffer any disasters beyond violent blizzards and the odd flood. Will check your thread out though, that stuff fascinates me.

Do they REALLY all have terrible hair? It does seem to be an odd stereotype that all rescue workers have the most amazing bodies, tragic backstories and the worst hair. The first two I understand plenty but you never see any firemen with bad hair do you?
Nah, there's just a few prominent examples I remember clearly, it's not like that big of a trend. They shared a building with my scouting group and there's plenty overlap between our two groups. I prefer prevention and talking to people about not being drat fools to rescuing them though. So many people who have no idea how dangerous nature is...

But yea, if you wanna ask about this stuff, here's the thread.

anilEhilated posted:

I think we found Disaster Magnet Ray's SA account.
Never been through a hurricane, tornado or a twister though. Wrong climate. Also I ain't as swole and my hair is less spiky.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
No-name Surge second-in-command evilness is suddenly easily comprehensible when you realize that his nonsense about the panic being worse than the crisis makes perfect sense, not in reality as it is experienced by the living but in world of economics.

If he's an economist who works for the military in a secret special unit then that explains at least part of why SURGE is both so evil and so very, very dumb.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hope Y'all were enlightened by that lil talk about famous Icelandic volcanoes and how it is to be near an eruption!

Oh yea, and here's the pictures I mentioned, that dude is a pretty great photographer:
http://imgur.com/a/BQ9Ln/all

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 23, 2014

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ScotchDK posted:

One of the reasons Ray should have been dead from that ash cloud, is really nasty. The ashes gets stuck on the moist lungs, and with your second breath it cools down, essentially turns into cement and prevents oxygen to get into your body.
Yea, even when you're a few hundred clicks away it's still terrible.

FinalGamer posted:

I gotta say, Deceitful Penguin has the most wonderfully soothing voice :allears: I did not mind listening to him at all during that clusterfuck chase even though I understood not a word of what he said. I heard England and that was about it.
Awww, shucks.

Niggurath posted:

And 'Fear' is just a wonderfully unique game and I'm super glad Panzer can be there to laugh at the lovely Japanese people while picking up the bits and pieces of dialogue. I do recall when I streamed it before that people immediately felt it was some bizarre follow-up to Michigan which I can totally see. But it's a lot more coherent and well made than Michigan.
To be fair, I have had fever dreams more coherent and well constructed than Michigan. Also with less peeking in on black men showering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Dilb posted:

No, you probably won't have much luck melting metal, as that's almost certainly scrap steel on the tracks. But you can cook a chicken wrapped in banana leaves with just a few shovels of lava.

But

Man, that's weak. Here in Free Iceland, you can cook your crap wherever, whenever, knowing that in doing so you risk life and limb for delicious eats.

Btw, geysers give a really odd taste to food, but it's at least hella quick.

• Locked thread