Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who would win in a fight?
Iko Uwais
Tony Jaa
Jackie Chan
Bruce Lee
Jet Li
Donnie Yen
Steven Seag-ahahahahahahahahahah
View Results

• Locked thread
40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
The movie's official web site has release dates for the U.S.; limited release in NYC and LA on March 28, full release is April 11.

Rocksicles posted:

Why did they cut it out, did they need to squeeze a story in there or something? That poo poo was bad rear end.

The director mentioned in an interview that it was cut for pacing purposes:

quote:

Gareth Evans on the one deleted scene scene he’s still reconsidering.

I’m still debating whether I should have put it in or not. There was one big shootout. It was to tie in with the first time we show Hammer Girl, Baseball Bat Man, that montage sequence. At the beginning we show this festival going on so there was a scene where after they cut to black from the Baseball Bat Man hitting the guy, it was going to cut back to the festival and we had a big shootout between the Japanese gang and the Indonesian gang. It killed the pace of the thing. It was starting to get too long and we needed to get Iko in the taxi as well. Iko’s the focus of the film. These two gangs, we don’t see them before, we won’t see them again, because it’s a loving massacre. But it was hard to cut because that was a hard shoot. That was four or five days’ worth of filming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Is this an actual thing?
It is not an actual thing. Tony Jaa is listed in IMDB, but there's not actually any official source on it. This link here has a good rundown of what Gareth Evans has said about The Raid 3 and Tony Jaa isn't on the horizon.

The two big things the director's reiterated about the next The Raid is that it will branch off plotwise from an event that happens a few hours before the climax of The Raid 2 and that he won't be ready to do it for a few years because he wants to work on two other films (one American, one Indonesian) first. This interview with GQ implies that the branching off point might be the Japanese gang's decision to go to war with Bejo's and Uco's gang, but has other tidbits too about some of the choices made in designing the action sequences.

This link here has a pretty interesting interview with Iko Uwais and Julie Estelle, which includes the backstory for Hammer Girl and Baseball Bat Man.

Julie Estelle posted:

Basically, she's one part of a brother and sister team with Baseball Bat Man. So the story is, when we were children, she was probably nine, he was eleven, and every night our father would spin a coin - did you see those scenes where I spin the coin? He spins the coin and if it was tails, he would hit me, and if it was heads, he would hit my brother with a baseball bat.

So we got abused by our dad since we were really young and one night the coin turned to my turn to get hit and he wanted to help me out, and it became chaotic and we snapped and killed our own father. But before the cops came, Bejo's people found us, took us in and trained us to become assassins.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Looks like the deleted 'gang war' scene has been put on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs_Qhmiz40E. I can see why they cut it because it's a bit superfluous, but it is cool to watch.
Merantau Films's channel on Vimeo has HD versions of the trailers for both The Raids and the original upload of the deleted scene, along with a ton of other supplemental videos in HD.

Of interest to the second film, there's Part 1 and Part 2 of behind-the-scenes featurettes about how they made The Raid 2. It's about 25 minutes total.

There's similar featurettes on the first The Raid and production blogs on Merantau as well on that channel, if anyone's interested.

• Locked thread