Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who would win in a fight?
Iko Uwais
Tony Jaa
Jackie Chan
Bruce Lee
Jet Li
Donnie Yen
Steven Seag-ahahahahahahahahahah
View Results

• Locked thread
Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Just got back from the theater, and I have to say it was loving awesome. Even more brutal than the first. What the hell was up with that snow scene though? And where are they finding these awesome apartments? Rama is supposed to be clean but there's no way he's affording a place like that in Jakarta unless he's on the take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Rocksicles posted:

This is supposed to be a deleted scene, can someone whos seen it confirm.
http://id.celebrity.yahoo.com/video/raid-2-adegan-yang-dibuang-072608459.html

It's pretty loving amazing.

Confirmed, at least for the version I saw.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Rocksicles posted:

Why did they cut it out, did they need to squeeze a story in there or something? That poo poo was bad rear end.
It's 2.5 hours long as is, that's a bit on the long side for an action movie and 50% longer than the original. And yes, they put a lot more plot in this one. You're still guaranteed your fill of ciat ciat though.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Alan Smithee posted:

Who were these guys? I don't recognize any of them
The only one who appears in the rest of the movie is the older guy who is one of Bangun's capos.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Alan Smithee posted:

Did he wind up dead? I seriously don't remember him
Probably. I don't remember him specifically dying but at the end Rama tells the Japanese that he killed everyone, so I'd put the odds of his survival pretty low. Wasn't he in the first one too?

Alan Smithee posted:

And can someone explain the tattoo "revelation" at the end? Where Reza(?) has to pick up his cane and Uco notices the same tattoo as the dude that was executed earlier? I wasn't even sure who those guys were
Uco realizes that the guys who tried to kill him in prison were part of the same gang, so Bejo is the one who was trying to kill him in the first place. That's my theory, at least.

Ogantai fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 29, 2014

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Alan Smithee posted:

You might be thinking of the guy who ran the building in the first one? took a bullet to the head
You're right, it just the hair I guess.

Alan Smithee posted:

Also you're probably right about the tat but it confused me because I thought he pretty much already knew which gang attacked him. The whole dynamic between Bejo and Uco was weird and just didn't make sense most of the time honestly.
Ehh, Uco wants to get out of his father's shadow, Bejo offers him an opportunity, then Uco finds out he's been playing him since the beginning and takes revenge. That said, Bejo himself doesn't make a lot of sense because the dude wears wool peacoats in Jakarta. That's like visiting Antarctica in a wife-beater.

Ogantai fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 29, 2014

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Wandle Cax posted:

I think you guys are talking about Bejo, not Reza, Reza is the old cop, Bejo is the one with sunglasses and a cane.
D'oh! You're right, editing.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Alan Smithee posted:

Bejo was the half-arab they mentioned right? I probably thought he was Reza because Arabs = Persians right?

Man they threw around a lot of drat names in that movie
Yes, Bejo (and the actor who plays him, a former MTV VJ) are both half-Arab.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Alan Smithee posted:

I took the "i'm done" to mean "I'm done killing all these motherfuckers, it's all yours"
Rama said cukup, which literally means "enough". He's not just done killing these guys, he's done for good... at least until they pull him back in for one last big score, I imagine.

Edit: If he meant he was just finished with those guys he probably would have said habis instead.

Ogantai fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 29, 2014

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Alan Smithee posted:

Well you clearly got a different experience than I did.
Meh, that's one part where a distinction was lost unnecessarily but for most part the subtitlers did they best the could. I don't think it would have been better for most foreign viewers if the characters called each other bedbugs instead of assholes just to keep the translation as literal as possible.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Wandle Cax posted:

I thought the subtitled line was, "No, i'm done" as in, turning down the Japanese guy's offer to kill guys for them. In any case it was pretty clear to me he was meaning he was finished with killing in general and had enough of all that.
I agree, but if I were in charge of subtitling this I would have rendered it as "No, I've had enough" just to make it unambiguous.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Snowman_McK posted:

Indonesia, like a lot of countries in the world, has a massive gap between the middle and working class. You can actually see the physical difference between the tall, pale middle class and the small, dark, wirey working class (think the difference between Andy and Mad Dog in the first movie) And so while there's slums and shanty towns, there's also plenty of really nice houses and apartments. That was an interesting component of the first movie: the class difference between Rama and the occupants of the block (which makes the scene where the man hides him more important)
Err, I think you're overlooking what I was getting at. Yes, Indonesia has massive class, ethnic, and religious conflict. What I'm pointing out is that the police (at least the clean ones) are not part of that upper class and there's no way an honest one could afford a place like that on his salary, especially with Jakarta real estate prices. (One of my sisters-in-law just put a down-payment on an investment property there (edit: isn't nearly as nice as Rama's) and paid what would probably be many multiples of a cop's annual salary.)

Alan Smithee posted:

The snow scene was weird because Wasn't the whole thing supposed to be a setup for Mad Dog to be the fall guy? The whole setup confused me either way. Also am I tripping or did that whole thing look greenscreened. As for Rama's place I imagine it was the same as the original right? Probably Gareth Evans used his own place or called in a favor from a well to do local/expat in order to save money. I suppose it helps contrast between the shittiness of the complex from 1
If by "fall guy" you mean sacrificial lamb, then yes. I figure it had to be greenscreened.

Ogantai fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 31, 2014

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Wandle Cax posted:

Which apartment are you talking about? I don't remember really even seeing Rama's place, only the place that Bangun set him up with as reward for saving Uco and working for him, which was obviously very nice.
The one you see his wife and son living in at the beginning of the film.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Jonny Angel posted:

Also, quick question for those who know more about Indonesia than me. My understanding is that Rama, Eka, Uco, Bangun, these are all given names, and that the only surnames we've been given in the series are Goto and Riyadi (Tama from the first film). First off, is this a correct assumption? Second off, does this make sense as far as how people address each other in Indonesia, or is it about as goofy as an American version where Bunaware says "Alright Rama, we're going after the local kingpin, Rick."
Rama, Eka, and Uco are given names but Bangun is a nickname (it means "wake up"), the rest is correct. Mononyms are quite common in Indonesia, especially among Javanese (ex: former Indonesian PM Suharto) or given names with patronymics (ex: another former PM Megawati Sukarnoputri).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Alan Smithee posted:

Hows the box office over there?
I'm in Australia now, so not good. I think it only showed in capital cities only a very limited schedule.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nice Seltzer's avatar.
loving customs won't let me bring in lebanon bologna. :(

• Locked thread