Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I absolutely love Dr Strange. He looks amazing, and his powers are incredibly destructive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Doctor Strange feels a bit insane, with some gear so can you just poo poo out your incantations constantly and they do huge AOE damage. You melt X-defense waves.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Spudsly posted:

But it's demonstrably false! I showed my work and everything. The level 1 costume "smaller range" thing is just superstition.

Edit: in fact, it also tells you that rolling at 1 is explicitly worse than rolling at 60 since you see less precision and therefore may end up re-rolling a roll that was only infinitesimally less than a roll you would have kept and would have resulted in the same (or atleast an acceptable) value at 60.

If you can explain to me in small words what you proved and why it matters, okay.

Bear in mind, you have two obstacles to overcome. First, I don't care, and second, I'm retarded.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

Kainser posted:

Doctor Strange feels a bit insane, with some gear so can you just poo poo out your incantations constantly and they do huge AOE damage. You melt X-defense waves.

Yeah, like others have said, his main short coming seems to be high micro management and long cast times, his damage seems to be where it should be so far. I've never gotten around to downloading the test client, so I usually just run whatever the goon/official forums consensus seems to be until I have a better feel for them. Tasker's got a build up already, its super end game, and a typical Tasker build, so all offense all the time, with no room for error in playstyle, but its been fun so far with a fat stack of Lemuria carrying it.

Edit: Dreamwalker is an AWESOME passive, especially for leveling. Its hard to max it out end game, there are so many other DoTs/Incantations to nab its really hard to prioritize. Rest of his passives are pretty "meh", haven't taken him into cosmics yet though, he may actually benefit from his Ancient def passive, its scaling seems pretty bad so far though, even with the 50% buff.

PoultryHammock fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 29, 2014

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah, I heard about HarryTasker being some kind of genius badass at this game and then looked up one of his builds once, and after trying it figured out that he's an incredible dps sperg and most people should ignore him and probably actively shame him because holy poo poo if Gaz listens to this guy ever the game will be unplayable. I think he's one of their "whitelist" guys if they're still doing that, in which case that might explain why their numbers are so bad.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

Gilok posted:

Yeah, I heard about HarryTasker being some kind of genius badass at this game and then looked up one of his builds once, and after trying it figured out that he's an incredible dps sperg and most people should ignore him and probably actively shame him because holy poo poo if Gaz listens to this guy ever the game will be unplayable. I think he's one of their "whitelist" guys if they're still doing that, in which case that might explain why their numbers are so bad.

Yeah, EVERYONE should take a Tasker build with a grain of salt. He's super min/max, and gives no shits about wiping. I will say he is REALLY good at ARPGs though (as high as that skill ceiling goes I guess). But yeah, you are absolutely right, he is pretty narrowed in his build focus. His Cable build was actually pretty good, I played with him a lot to get hard numbers (before SHIELD training room), but after his Cage build (with minimal AOE), and his revised Cable build after the review (with next to no survivability gearing/speccing) I've learned to just take the big DPS powers he emphasizes and and go from there myself.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

PoultryHammock posted:

Yeah, like others have said, his main short coming seems to be high micro management and long cast times, his damage seems to be where it should be so far. I've never gotten around to downloading the test client, so I usually just run whatever the goon/official forums consensus seems to be until I have a better feel for them. Tasker's got a build up already, its super end game, and a typical Tasker build, so all offense all the time, with no room for error in playstyle, but its been fun so far with a fat stack of Lemuria carrying it.

Edit: Dreamwalker is an AWESOME passive, especially for leveling. Its hard to max it out end game, there are so many other DoTs/Incantations to nab its really hard to prioritize. Rest of his passives are pretty "meh", haven't taken him into cosmics yet though, he may actually benefit from his Ancient def passive, its scaling seems pretty bad so far though, even with the 50% buff.

There is absolutely no need to micromanage anything on Dr. Strange, just spam your buttons as fast as you possibly can with no regard to spirit or free casts, long cast times aren't a problem because you're basically invincible too. You don't even need to equip items.

I have a 60 Jean and Storm and pre-nerf Colossus and Dr. Strange is by far the strongest and easiest character I have played in this game. I expect a serious nerf to Demons of Denak.

e: For extra invincibility equip and Elektra medallion to get healed every time you teleport away from an enemy :cool:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 29, 2014

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

A.C. posted:

basically invincible... expect a serious nerf to Demons of Denak

I'm assuming the invincibility is due to the Demons power then? And isn't this exactly what happened when they added life on hit to Gambit's Savate Expert passive?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, Demons right now at rank 21 heals me for 293 every time it hits. It hits twice per second and hits 10 times, it's a single-target DoT. It has a six second cooldown that resets every time you max your Mysticism, so if you're constantly hammering spells you're generally going to have two Demons up. So, right now, I'm getting healed for around 1200 per second. This is on a character with a great teleport, so if my health ever dips I can teleport away and then immediately teleport back and be at full health again, though I do use an Elektra medal like I mentioned in my edit, because it's the only medal I've found so far. I've only found one artifact and no rings or insignias so I think something might be up with drops.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

A.C. posted:

e: For extra invincibility equip and Elektra medallion to get healed every time you teleport away from an enemy :cool:

Yep, I'm planning on trying out a build with teleport maxed as it seems to do pretty high damage for a movement power. Spam teleport with Demons and holding down a basic with astral projections out. Should be fun.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

A.C. posted:

There is absolutely no need to micromanage anything on Dr. Strange, just spam your buttons as fast as you possibly can with no regard to spirit or free casts, long cast times aren't a problem because you're basically invincible too. You don't even need to equip items.

I have a 60 Jean and Storm and pre-nerf Colossus and Dr. Strange is by far the strongest and easiest character I have played in this game. I expect a serious nerf to Demons of Denak.

Oh, no, don't get me wrong, I don't think he's underpowered or gimped or anything, those are just his shortcomings. All of which come to the forefront when you are alone, he's actually even better carrying a group of dumb-rear end pubbies through Xdef or whatever. And yeah, you can get away with mashing till around lvl 50 or so, (if your experience is different I'd be interested in seeing your build/skill cycle). Someone mentioned in that last thread that he plays like an MMO caster, and that seems pretty spot on so far. As long as you have a decent skill cycle, and can poo poo out AoE, most of the content is trivial. I'm interested in solo cosmic runs right now though, the general consensus seems to be to take one point in his taunting summons and use the time those buy to set up heavy AoE fields.

Quick question though, how are you invincible while casting? The couple of times I've died on the way to 60 have been while I'm laying down AoEs and get an unlucky boss hit in. Also, yeah, Demons is crazy good single target DPS WITH a heal component, I wouldn't build without it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm using his unique Slot 3 which is probably a big part of it. It has % chance to take half damage from missiles, % change to ignore damage, movement power cost reduction (my teleport costs 6 Spirit), health, and a bonus to Ancient Training. Between that, teleport, and Demons I very rarely die (3 Defeats so far but the first 30 levels were entirely in x-def where they don't count). I am only level 42, though. I'll see what's up with cosmic terminals tomorrow. Right now I feel tankier against a single target than Jean did at the equivalent level, and my Jean can facetank cosmic doom for the most part, but it's entirely possible the healing I'm getting now won't keep up as I hit 60.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 29, 2014

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

PoultryHammock posted:

but after his Cage build (with minimal AOE),
I mean say what you want, but that build has a combo that can effectively full to zero any non-Doom boss in the game, which is insane.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Where do I put the code in the OP for the extra-hero ?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Vincent posted:

Where do I put the code in the OP for the extra-hero ?

Click this link and log in.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

chrisf posted:

For free to play games with cards, you have to spend real money through steam, $10=1 card.

Ah, thanks for the info

I just had a nice little run and my collosus is starting to hit like a monster. I went from 40 to 54 in a couple hours, really amazing seeing as I was finding the game slugging around after I finished the normal campaign. I just sat in MM rerolling Legendaries until I could do them there, then hit a streak of like 8 legendaries without having to reroll. I only stopped because I have somewhere to be in 15 minutes!

Also, with the code I got another character, Storm! Nice!

This game is a lot of fun and I like how chat devolves into comicschat all the fuckign time

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Last time I played I left my Thor at 46, some of the new stuff looks cool though, think I'll dust off the ole' thunder god. I'm Pierson in-game, applyin' soon-ish.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

Carados posted:

I mean say what you want, but that build has a combo that can effectively full to zero any non-Doom boss in the game, which is insane.

As in cosmic bosses? Because anyone with a well geared Cage, and a decent build with a max Dempsey Roll can do that on Reds and below. Last time I checked Tasker was still having to port away->heal->back to boss like any other heavy melee'er.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Thanks!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PoultryHammock posted:

As in cosmic bosses? Because anyone with a well geared Cage, and a decent build with a max Dempsey Roll can do that on Reds and below. Last time I checked Tasker was still having to port away->heal->back to boss like any other heavy melee'er.

The other thing is I believe he's focusing on Hero's Call, and I don't think the summons focus anyone in particular (or I've always seen them run all over) so any boss with adds will cut down your damage. But yeah, Cage's problem has never been boss damage, Dempsey just shreds them and both savage and crowbar are great single target.

That being said, the odd disdain for "min maxing" is just bizarre. Like, lots of people want to know what is most effective, or whatever and he's putting in work on that. And it should be common sense that if you're not able to get his same results, you shouldn't run his builds or w/e.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 29, 2014

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Sorry jerks, Hulk is strongest one of them all.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
There will be a boon party for those that missed the earlier one on the hour. Hop on now for an invite.

Edit: :frogsiren:

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

gypsyshred posted:

There will be a boon party for those that missed the earlier one on the hour. Hop on now for an invite.

Edit: :frogsiren:

Downloading the update. :(

Updating games through steam takes forever for me.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I didn't know the devs gave away 'buy one get one' tokens even if you bought a character before the sale; that's very nice of them and since I unlocked Hulk I'm doubly appreciative. Gift was Daredevil though, so back to singly (?) appreciative :colbert:

Paging Cease to Hope in case he has a HELP HOW DO I HULK SMASH spergpost.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Wait the added damage charts? Now I get to be yelled at by pubbies about damage when it doesn't loving matter. I'm so excited.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

alansmithee posted:

The other thing is I believe he's focusing on Hero's Call, and I don't think the summons focus anyone in particular (or I've always seen them run all over) so any boss with adds will cut down your damage. But yeah, Cage's problem has never been boss damage, Dempsey just shreds them and both savage and crowbar are great single target.

That being said, the odd disdain for "min maxing" is just bizarre. Like, lots of people want to know what is most effective, or whatever and he's putting in work on that. And it should be common sense that if you're not able to get his same results, you shouldn't run his builds or w/e.

I'm not questioning his math in the slightest (or min/maxing, I'm all about that), his builds are absolutely the best single target you can put out across multiple builds. What I'm pointing out is his singular focus on it, to the detriment of trash killing, and survibability, that's why I put in the part in my earlier post about reading over his builds, pulling the best DPS abilities, and then tweaking from there. If all you want to do is boss rush, then his builds are perfect for you.

I mean, most people aren't opposed to stacking as much damage as possible, its just Tasker focuses almost completely on boss clear times, and insists on "play-perfect" builds. The difference to him in a 18 second boss down time and a 14 second boss down time are major deals. He doesn't even count wipes against this (which, if you're prioritizing efficiency, would matter) he is seriously all about putting out the biggest numbers in the shortest amount of time, everything else is secondary.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

seravid posted:

I didn't know the devs gave away 'buy one get one' tokens even if you bought a character before the sale; that's very nice of them and since I unlocked Hulk I'm doubly appreciative. Gift was Daredevil though, so back to singly (?) appreciative :colbert:

Paging Cease to Hope in case he has a HELP HOW DO I HULK SMASH spergpost.

Use the dash build from gibcount's post in Sion's build list. Just search for "fancy post" in the OP.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Rad Valtar posted:

Wait the added damage charts? Now I get to be yelled at by pubbies about damage when it doesn't loving matter. I'm so excited.

If my glances at the damage charts so far are indicative of anything, as long as you are using your powers and aiming them at enemies, you're probably in the 90th percentile right there, so I wouldn't be too worried about this happening.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Rad Valtar posted:

Get a load of this guy.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I've only got 4 hours playtime in this game but decided to hop on all these hero promotions. Current roster: Human Torch, Black Widow (from the promo code), Hulk (bought), Scarlet Witch (from the BOGO promo). I probably should have invested more time into the game before piling more heroes onto my plate but hey, free stuff :v:.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rad Valtar posted:

If you can push buttons you're going to be doing most of the damage on your team.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
I presume I'm the sole goon with unused boons? Due to family/work I won't be able to log on until tomorrow night (PDT), but if there are any other goons with unused boons, maybe we could have a west coast boon-festivus for the rest of us?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

SMP posted:

I've only got 4 hours playtime in this game but decided to hop on all these hero promotions. Current roster: Human Torch, Black Widow (from the promo code), Hulk (bought), Scarlet Witch (from the BOGO promo). I probably should have invested more time into the game before piling more heroes onto my plate but hey, free stuff :v:.

This is easily one of the best times to get into MH ever. BOGO, Free Man code, excellent "build" version of the game.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

SMP posted:

You actually did really well going in blind. SW is top notch, HT/Hulk are middling to good depending on gear, and BW is getting a rework soon. You shouldn't see a huge disparity with BW till late game.

If your interested in getting the top tier heroes/exploitable heroes...Loki is great at end game, his illusions pull everything off you, Iron Man puts out crazy AoE and pretty good single target, Luke is a credit farm machine with fantastic single target and middling AoE, Ms. Marvel is a GREAT ranged/melee hybrid, with massive crit chance. Night Crawler comes so front loaded with damage output you won't feel bad about stacking defensive items on him, Moon Knight has REALLY good single target, but also really bad AoE (his playstyle is pretty unique though, either him, or Punisher for the the ranged variant). Storm is pretty fragile, but a killing machine, so kite them bosses. Jean Grey I'm pretty sure was made for botters or something, her Pheonix form+her charge is really good (lots of crit passive too). The rest are pretty good, and perfectly serviceable, your play style is going to determine how much you like them. There are only a handful of outright subpar characters at this point.

Grnegsnspm
Oct 20, 2003

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarian 2: Electric Boogaloo

SMP posted:

I basically just did exactly this. I played the beta when the game was balls on toast but my friend started playing and telling me how it changed and it was so much better now and it only hurts him because it loves him, etc, etc. I dicked around for a couple hours and now I have 4 characters. What is happening to me?

edit: Current roster is Colossus, Thing (promo), Torch (bought), and Daredevil (BOGO). Stupid Daredevil. Nobody likes you. Go home.

SMP
May 5, 2009

PoultryHammock posted:

You actually did really well going in blind. SW is top notch, HT/Hulk are middling to good depending on gear, and BW is getting a rework soon. You shouldn't see a huge disparity with BW till late game.

If your interested in getting the top tier heroes/exploitable heroes...Loki is great at end game, his illusions pull everything off you, Iron Man puts out crazy AoE and pretty good single target, Luke is a credit farm machine with fantastic single target and middling AoE, Ms. Marvel is a GREAT ranged/melee hybrid, with massive crit chance. Night Crawler comes so front loaded with damage output you won't feel bad about stacking defensive items on him, Moon Knight has REALLY good single target, but also really bad AoE (his playstyle is pretty unique though, either him, or Punisher for the the ranged variant). Storm is pretty fragile, but a killing machine, so kite them bosses. Jean Grey I'm pretty sure was made for botters or something, her Pheonix form+her charge is really good (lots of crit passive too). The rest are pretty good, and perfectly serviceable, your play style is going to determine how much you like them. There are only a handful of outright subpar characters at this point.

Just from a personal taste point of view, I'm interested in Thor, Rocket Raccoon and Ghost Rider. From the sounds of the OP though it doesn't sound like they're that great. Nightcrawler sounds pretty sweet though.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

PoultryHammock posted:

I'm not questioning his math in the slightest (or min/maxing, I'm all about that), his builds are absolutely the best single target you can put out across multiple builds. What I'm pointing out is his singular focus on it, to the detriment of trash killing, and survibability, that's why I put in the part in my earlier post about reading over his builds, pulling the best DPS abilities, and then tweaking from there. If all you want to do is boss rush, then his builds are perfect for you.

I mean, most people aren't opposed to stacking as much damage as possible, its just Tasker focuses almost completely on boss clear times, and insists on "play-perfect" builds. The difference to him in a 18 second boss down time and a 14 second boss down time are major deals. He doesn't even count wipes against this (which, if you're prioritizing efficiency, would matter) he is seriously all about putting out the biggest numbers in the shortest amount of time, everything else is secondary.

His Cage build is a perfect example to me. I think trying to play Cage in any practical sense without Cage Was Here would drive me loving insane. But if all you care about is Boss TTK it makes perfect sense. It's not just min-maxing, it's min-maxing toward a singular objective that isn't necessarily the most important thing in the game.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SMP posted:

Just from a personal taste point of view, I'm interested in Thor, Rocket Raccoon and Ghost Rider. From the sounds of the OP though it doesn't sound like they're that great. Nightcrawler sounds pretty sweet though.

No idea about Rocket Raccoon. Thor is considered fairly weak end-game but he (like essentially everyone) is playable just fine, if a bit slower than some of the others mentioned. Ghost Rider is actually pretty decent-super durable and does decent damage. I think his visual effects are pretty nice as well. I've enjoyed playing him and haven't found him noticeably weaker than the other dudes at least early-mid levels (where I have him now). Honestly I find him a lot better than Nightcrawler through those periods, who can have lots of trouble staying alive early in my experience.

StarkRavingMad posted:

His Cage build is a perfect example to me. I think trying to play Cage in any practical sense without Cage Was Here would drive me loving insane. But if all you care about is Boss TTK it makes perfect sense. It's not just min-maxing, it's min-maxing toward a singular objective that isn't necessarily the most important thing in the game.
I don't know if he explains it in the thread where he's maxing Hero's Call after it's buff, but I know previously he discussed it and essentially his argument was because Cage's AoE is kinda lame, he didn't bother putting points there in favor of maximizing the stuff he was good at. He said he just ran around punch/dempsey on dudes. It's not so much a fact he's only focused on boss kills, but that Cage doesn't have a solid AoE option.

And I've swapped out of Cage Was Here for cosmics-standing still to charge an AoE that's still not all that good isn't the best idea IMO, especially since his projectile reflect got nerfed. Cold Sholder to me is far superior just because you can stay mobile, which is very important for melee heroes late.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

If you can explain to me in small words what you proved and why it matters, okay.

Bear in mind, you have two obstacles to overcome. First, I don't care, and second, I'm retarded.

Ok, here goes! The important idea from the compendium is as follows:

"1) Rolls have a tight range on a lvl 1 costume
2)Upper end rolls are easier to get on a lvl 1 costume"

As an example, let's imagine a roll that at level 1 can only result in a 1, 2 or 3. The range is tight, there are three possible outcomes from your roll. However, at 60 let's say this attribute scales to between 4 and 12. At 60 there are 9 possible outcomes to your roll (4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, or 12). Indeed at level 1, I will get the "max roll" 1 in 3 times where as I will get the max roll 1 in 9 times at level 60 so I will roll the maximum of the smaller range more often. The implication is that if I roll a 3 at level 1, it will scale to the corresponding maximum value at level 60 (a 12) every time. That's how this method would take advantage of this smaller range. This would be a pretty ludicrous way to code the problem and should immediately draw suspicion. Much more likely is that a roll takes place to create a decimal random between 0 and 1 and that number is scaled to fit the range; so if the item is level 1 everything above 0.67 (2/3) is displayed as a roll of 3, everything between 0.33 and 0.67 becomes a 2 and everything lower than 0.33 is a 1. Now when I scale up to 60, I have enough information to do so in a smooth fashion, rolls larger than 8/9 become 12, between 7/9 and 8/9 is 11, between 7/9 and 8/9 is 10, 6/9 through 7/9 is 9, etc. However, all of the results listed would have given a 3 on a level 1 costume.

So the way to distinguish between these two methods is to take something that has the same number at low levels, scale it up, and test to see if the outcome can be different at 60.

In the screenshot above I show three cases where the value at level 1 for the grade 1 affix is identical but when upgraded to level 60 the value is different. What this means is that all of my "max rolls" weren't identical. There wasn't a smaller range, I just couldn't tell the difference between the three rolls because the roll is rounded when the range is smaller. In other words, at level 1 even though all three rolls displayed "+70 crit damage rating", they weren't all the same roll, one would end up giving me 380 crit rating damage, one gave me 381 and the other, the actual highest roll, gave me 382. The range of the roll is not smaller at level, essentially since the range is smaller the rounding is more aggressive.

I'm afraid I typed too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Daredevil ult token freebie, but bought Storm and BOGOed Punisher, so a good haul.

Maybe I'll go full retard and get Hawkeye and Widow to finish my 200 splinter collecton and see who else I get.

• Locked thread