Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Colgate posted:

I just started this game last week and I'm sorta overwhelmed by the amount of content. Between story modes and three different difficulty levels, stuff like x-defenses and terminals (which I haven't tried yet), and legendary quests, I'm not really sure what to do! But it's fun nonetheless.

Should I start trying to get legendaries on my character ASAP or should I wait until I get them to high level? I already beat Act 9 on all four of my characters on the first difficulty. I have Storm, who I started with, and I got Spider Man (who I don't like/am not very good with) and Nightcrawler through splinters, as well as Squirrel Girl who I bought through G.

I bought a character and some stash room when G was discounted. I've already since run out of stash room again due to medallions and relics. Should I donate the medallions to the crafter or just buy more room?

Sell the medallions, they are easy to farm for since they're 100% drops from bosses (in terminals).

I'd suggest you find which character you like best and get the to 60, don't stress, just enjoy the ride.
Don't worry about legendaries, they are a big power spike when you are trying to fully kit out your character but they also cost 300 odins which is quite a few LQ.

While you can more or less freely unbind and trade them to another of your character (and even break them back down into Odincoins) they lose all XP progress in the process, which is why dedicating them to one character you like and want to keep playing or prestige is the best idea.

Oh and on the note of Spider-man; here's the build I'm using:
http://www.marvelbase.com/builds/generator/spider-man#vv2v222Kvy2KvCv2vvKv/0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0

Keep in mind that he is a bit of a spirit hog and doesn't really get rolling until you can equip a PSS on him.
If you prefer to use Web Wrecking Ball, take the points from Leaping Assault and put them there instead, Leaping is better for leveling though, since it unlocks sooner and triggers Constrictive Webbing and Spider to the Fly.

Keep Web Spray on the floor to debuff your enemies
Use Amazing Smash for gathering up dudes in one place and dealing some good burst
Leap is your go-to AOE damage together with the DOT from Constrictive Webbing
Spidey Pummel is your filler and Amazing Uppercut is your single target/small group spirit spender.

Use Webswing Attack to break CC, Web Shield to get a little beefier for a while and/or regenerate HP.

Always zip and jump around because you're Spider-man and being on the move prevents a lot of damage, also Agile Attack gives you a attack & movespeed buff.

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Colgate posted:

I bought a character and some stash room when G was discounted. I've already since run out of stash room again due to medallions and relics. Should I donate the medallions to the crafter or just buy more room?

Don't save medallions unless they're level 60 and have pretty good rolls on them. Hoard artifacts and uniques instead!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

New goons, please message me in game (name is ICR). You will be my Padawan and I will teach you how to win.

1) message me
2) make your character small
3) have fun. This game is a blast and the real successor to Satan 2.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Eiffel On You posted:

New goons, please message me in game (name is ICR). You will be my Padawan and I will teach you how to win.

1) message me

I thought i was your only padawan, i mean that was never explicitly stated but i still feel betrayed.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Ahundredbux posted:

Sell the medallions, they are easy to farm for since they're 100% drops from bosses (in terminals).

I'd suggest you find which character you like best and get the to 60, don't stress, just enjoy the ride.
Don't worry about legendaries, they are a big power spike when you are trying to fully kit out your character but they also cost 300 odins which is quite a few LQ.

While you can more or less freely unbind and trade them to another of your character (and even break them back down into Odincoins) they lose all XP progress in the process, which is why dedicating them to one character you like and want to keep playing or prestige is the best idea.

To further expound and expand, spending on Odin mark items in general (legendary items and blessings) is not something you need to do to complete any of the content in the game, their main purpose is to push your character further into "owns bones" territory. When you are trying to shave a few seconds off of your boss kill times, you might want to consider spending, but not really before that.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Is today's Boonening only for level 60 superstars? I wouldn't want my lvl 35 Pot Metal Man to feel embarrassed.

Eiffel On You posted:

1) message me

I added you in-game yesterday and you were offline. You weren't there. You promised. Why

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Colgate posted:

I just started this game last week and I'm sorta overwhelmed by the amount of content. Between story modes and three different difficulty levels, stuff like x-defenses and terminals (which I haven't tried yet), and legendary quests, I'm not really sure what to do! But it's fun nonetheless.

Should I start trying to get legendaries on my character ASAP or should I wait until I get them to high level? I already beat Act 9 on all four of my characters on the first difficulty. I have Storm, who I started with, and I got Spider Man (who I don't like/am not very good with) and Nightcrawler through splinters, as well as Squirrel Girl who I bought through G.

Medallions drop all the dang time so donate those for sure.

Also as far as levelling characters vs legendaries goes, legendary quests are basically the best way to level, so "do I level or do I work towards legendaries" is a really happy false choice to make. Also note that you get synergy bonuses to +XP% for every L30/50/60 you have, which the game does not articulate particularly well, so if you stick with someone to the end it'll make it faster for everybody else.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

seravid posted:

Is today's Boonening only for level 60 superstars? I wouldn't want my lvl 35 Pot Metal Man to feel embarrassed.

I added you in-game yesterday and you were offline. You weren't there. You promised. Why

Everybody is invited.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Also here's my MK post from awhile ago:
Moon Knight
EDIT: Recent changes did little to the actual build, but now MK does a ton more damage.
{tldr edition:
Max Gruesome Frenzy, Cestus Gauntlet Punch, Truncheon Ricochet, Fist of Khonshu, Carbonadium Armor, Explosive Crescent Dart. 1 in Statue of Khonshu, Multiple Personalities, Moon Staff, Avatar of Vengeance, Khonshu Unbound, dump rest in Tripwire Bolas. Here's what I'm running (no points in Multiple since I have the unique that grants it)
http://marvelbase.com/builds/generator/moon-knight#vv222vK2Kv2MAM2KvvKv/0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0

Artifacts are Idol of Khonshu + whatever 3 phys/general damage things you want. His uniques are fine, legendary is Gungir, runeword is Viking Gladiator. Insig is O'Grady. Relic is Lemuria. Costume is crit dmg rating with either black smoke for his base or Flames on secret avengers}

Moon Knight is an extremely durable melee/ranged hybrid hero, with built-in mechanics that allow him to not only excel but get stronger at lower health levels. Moon Knight also has the ability to put out extremely high single-target damage. His kit isn't quite as effective at AoE, with his big AoE abilities being largely inefficient, small area, and/or unreliable but he's not entirely without tools. This build will focus mainly on his melee abilities (which is where most of his high damage potential comes from), with a couple ranged abilities sprinkled in to give some AoE ability for clearing trash and to add some utility.

Skillz
Max skills:
Cestus Gauntlet Punch-single target melee spirit spender, hits super-hard

Truncheon Ricochet-ranged attack that bounces, also adds significant DR to your next melee attack. This will clear most trash throughout the game, and only falls off as an AoE ability in Cosmics/later Xdef levels.

Fist of Khonshu-amazing passive; crit/brutal chance, DR against dudes attacking you, and a chance to proc a cower when you hit a brutal (note-you should be hitting brutal strikes a lot)

Carbonadium Armor-Another amazing passive, this one for defense. Has similar reduced damage at lower health levels thing as GR/Punisher, with the addition of a block chance that reduces damage.

Gruesome Frenzy-signature power. lots of little hits which, if they all connect will then deal a much stronger finishing blow that also has the execute ability found on other attacks (bonus damage based on target's missing HP). This is what you can see brutal for 1mil+. If you're not comfortable running without a maxed basic power, this can be cut to 1 point in favor of maxing Spiked Gauntlets (although I believe he can play just fine without one). I'd choose Spiked over his other melee basic (which I'll discuss later) simply because if you're running one at max, you'll be using it more as part of your regular rotation, and Spiked is greater of the two for damage. This is mandatory do not cut this. If you really want a basic maxed cut one of your ranged abilities. This does so much freaking damage now good grief. Brutal for 1mil+? Maybe at lvl 30.

You can then pick 1 of the following:
Explosive Crescent Dart
Tripwire Bolas

I prefer Explosive. It hits it's main target for moderate damage, while exploding in an area for lesser damage. It also applies vulnerability. Tripwire Bolas is a small AoE snare/DoT effect which is also valuable due to constantly triggering Khonshu procs (Truncheon can also do the same if there's multiple enemies to bounce to, but it's nice to have the constant). Another consideration is the fact that Dart can function as a spirit dump at range when you need to heal/there's 20 different overlapping AoE damage fields at the base of whatever boss you're fighting; Bolas however will allow you to put up more passive damage as you can lead with it and have it tick for 4 seconds while punching some chump in the face. edit-after more testing, I think Bolas is an equal choice and it's pretty much entirely preference. Bolas is better for single target damage, Explosive is better for masses.

One point skills:
Statue of Khonshu-Drops a big statue that gives bonus damage as well as health and spirit on hit in an AoE. Doesn't scale well, and has a longish CD while also being able to be killed by enemies so 1 is all it needs.

Multiple Personalities-Gives a revive (buggy as all the others), +credits on drop, and 10% SiF. scales bad, but a great value point. (note-if you use his slot 3 unique, you won't need this point)

Khonshu Unbound-CC break. Also has some minor +light radius or something, idk. Use it for the CC break.

gift of choice (ideally Tools of Vengeance while leveling, Avatar of Vengeance late)-"Gift" is the category for these two powers, and they're mutually exclusive. They both have the same passive bonus of bonus DR when low on spirit, and bonus CR/CDR at low health. Tools drops you to 0 spirit but gives 8 seconds of free powers. Avatar drops you to 1 health, but makes you unable to die(?-I've not tested this on rhino/jugg charges) for 8 seconds, after which it heals you for .3% of the damage you dealt during the period. I've noticed some...odd behavior from this power though. Tools is better early because you likely won't have the damage output to make the life restore useful. The passive effect doesn't scale all that well, so 1 point base is good. Gear should give you some extra anyways.

Moon Staff-The other melee basic, this restores spirit on hit. 1 point for the times you're empty in spirit to keep some damage up while waiting to get enough to use a real attack.

Whichever of these you didn't max:
Explosive Crescent Dart
Tripwire Bolas

Extra points should also be dumped here.

MK has two melee AoE abilities, but I find both to be lackluster. Nunchuku has a tiny AoE which lets you run around while channeling it, whereas Staff Spin has a larger-but-still-not-that-good AoE but locks you in place while using it. If you're dead set on some AoE ability that's not Ricochet and Dart, you could drop Gruesome to 1 point (but I seriously don't recommend it).

Gear

I won't go too in-depth here, but his powers are entirely physical, with the vast majority also being fighting and your main damage abilities being melee as well.

Artifacts-Given the above, the usual suspects (ACCoC, AMA, AKung-Fu, HoD, GoK) all are good. Of special note is the Idol of Khonshu which I believe is near mandatory if you're running melee. Since Truncheon has a similar effect that you'll want to be using regardless, getting the bonus damage from Idol should be almost constant making it extremely attractive.

Runeword/Uru-His slot 5 is a damage item, so I'd recommend using the +800 def Uru. If you want damage go for physical so you'll get a boost on your truncheon and ranged attack of choice. For runeword you have a lot of choices: Lunar Eclipse (more defense and some spirit maintenance) and Bonebreaker (damage) are more budget-conscious choices. Viking Gladiator or Bowazon if you're feeling extravagant.

Uniques & gear slots: MK has solid uniques. His slot 1&3 are especially good. His chestpiece is also great because it allows you max out Carbonadium fairly easy. His boots are meh, and his slot 5 is more focused on ranged builds but is decent unless you find some amazing cosmic. I believe Foostigons would be his ideal boot slot. Enchants should be Stone (+phys) on slot 1&5, and Cattle (+health) on 2-4.

Legendary-Gungir most likely, depending on your other gear choices a case could be made for Excalibur.

Costume affixes & core-Affixes should be health if you want more defense, crit damage if you want offense. For core, I favor +fighting (6->7 is huge) and 25% health/spirit on medkit. If you want more defense, the +fighting could be health, or even invuln on medkit (although I personally don't like the double-medkit cores). I don't think he particularly needs LL but it's definitely welcome as he naturally does a fair job mitigating damage so staying topped up is a good idea.

Medallion-Magneto helps a lot for keeping spirit costs down to support a heavy non-basic approach (you can easily hit -30% costs with that and his slot 3 unique). Hydra is also good in general, or Tombstone if you could find a lvl 60.

Insignia-O'Grady. DumDum is also nice if you can get a decent one. Stats are same as for everyone-health if you want more defense, otherwise try to get DR/CDR/CR in roughly that order.

Special low-health note: Due to his mechanics, he can also take advantage of low-health triggers (Extremis Serum, Last Chance boots, etc). He does gain some natural advantage from those due to his passive portion of gift. However, he can't make use of the Penance insig so that should be considered.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 29, 2014

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I have a Pym Shrink but haven't used it on anyone yet :ohdear:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Harlock posted:

I have a Pym Shrink but haven't used it on anyone yet :ohdear:

You know unbinding artifacts is really cheap, right?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Servers are finally up!

Time to get strange!

renojiin
Oct 26, 2005
College Slice
Buy one hero get one is active too~

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Of course it doesn't work if you buy Dr. Strange, and you can't get him from it.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Of course it doesn't work if you buy Dr. Strange, and you can't get him from it.

And if you were to get Dr. Strange from the random, you are bound by honor to immediately delete the token.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

That means if you use Gs to buy a hero it lets you get a second one too? Nice.

Once I have a huge stack of boons tonight, can I freely swap between heroes and keep all the boons or will it mess them up and/or only apply to the hero I'm on when I get said boons?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I got my boons on Gambit and have been using them into Jean Grey, so I don't think swapping is a problem at this point. That said, I never managed to get the broken mega-boosted numbers, just the duration extensions.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So if there's a BOGO sale, which cheap hero should I be looking at? I already have Scarlet Witch.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Suprfli6 posted:

That means if you use Gs to buy a hero it lets you get a second one too? Nice.

Once I have a huge stack of boons tonight, can I freely swap between heroes and keep all the boons or will it mess them up and/or only apply to the hero I'm on when I get said boons?

I think the way they do it is if you spend g's to buy a hero, you get a random box as well, so it could be a duplicate.

As far as boons are concerned, be prepared to stay on a specific hero and wait for someone to character swap and let us know. The stacks are a bug so who knows if they still act the way they did before or if its even possible to get stacks still.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
Sorry if I missed it but can anyone explain boons and boon parties please?

I only have like 10 boons of different types which I've been holding off using but sometimes get boon bonuses out of nowhere. I haven't picked up a boon in weeks. This is all I know about them.

Zoobtro fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 28, 2014

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Phyresis posted:

This is the basic Strange build unless you're doing that astral projection gimmick, and I am not impressed at all after spending quite some time with him on TC. It's a lot of work just so you can reset Vapors of Valtorr - not worth it imo. The cast animation on Flames of the Faltine is horrible and the damage on it is mediocre yet it has a pretty small aoe and a cooldown? His most impressive dps ability isn't even an Incantation, it's his Signature. I get what they were trying to do with him and I think he is very fixable but he's just kind of a mess right now and a lot of micro for very little gain. I pretty much only play decent aoe nuke heroes, I really like Dr. Strange as a character, and I really like his spells' graphical effects but I don't think I'm going to pick him up in this state, even for Splinters.

He feels a little half-baked, he definitely could have used another week of testing. Like they could have compressed some of these powers and put them on short cooldowns instead of having so drat many all essentially dedicated to the incantation gimmick. But they came up with all these rad spell effects and wanted to USE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

He's not bad by any means, but as you said "a lot of micro for very little gain" really sums him up, especially compared to a lot of other heroes. But he sure is pretty in action. I'm still waffling on whether to pick him up or not, I have the splinters. I may grab him just for something different to play with.

I'm thinking of messing around with a Astral Projection summoning gimmick build first on test to see if there's anything there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Boons give a buff to you and everyone around you. A boon party is where a large amount of people, mostly people without the ability to cast a boon themselves, can gather and benefit from the boons.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Speaking of new threads, this bit in the OP needs to be changed:

quote:

HULK ABLE TO HAVE 100% CRIT CHANCE AT WILL

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

and everyone around you.

Ahh, that was the part I was missing. Thanks. So how do people have so many of them? I have a vague memory of them being around when I first started playing, hence the few I have, but I guess they are no longer around?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

As I promised before, I had found a nice bug for Dr. Strange and now I will share it for you goons to abuse properly (note: it still works on TC so I'm assuming it works on Live as well)

The Astral Legion skill, which you use while Astral Projection is on to create more images, adds its bonus damage infinitely. Just like the old Hulk EQ leap bug.

You simply turn on Astral Legion, cast Astral Projection so you get 4 more images, then turn of Astral Legion to desummon and finally repeat ad infinitum.

After a little bit you get something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FANYCi0TWAc

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Zoobtro posted:

Sorry if I missed it but can anyone explain boons and boon parties please?

I only have like 10 boons of different types which I've been holding off using but sometimes get boon bonuses out of nowhere. I haven't picked up a boon in weeks. This is all I know about them.

As part of an event, players were given(and could purchase) consumable items that granted an hour's worth of 25% XP, special item, and rarity boost. The items give the boost to anyone in your proximity in game. We decided we should do mass gatherings to maximize their effectiveness. They were intended to increase in duration upon multiple uses. They were bugged(possibly due to the stress we placed on the servers with as many people gathered that we had, maybe due to poor programming) and the amount would stack rather than the duration, or both would increase. It was a glorious unintended mess with some people running around with 800% increased XP/SIF/RIF or higher. Now, they seem to be only increasing in duration(I dont think anyone is still running around with huge 800%+ boosts), but many of us have over a week's worth of in game time with the 25% amount. In celebration of Dr. Strange's release, we are gathering to do it one more time.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Oh poo poo, that explains the weird damage numbers I was getting on TC when I tested the astral build. I suspect that this is going to get patched very soon.

e: I should pick up the good Doctor and abuse this to get him to 60 asap

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

As I promised before, I had found a nice bug for Dr. Strange and now I will share it for you goons to abuse properly (note: it still works on TC so I'm assuming it works on Live as well)

The Astral Legion skill, which you use while Astral Projection is on to create more images, adds its bonus damage infinitely. Just like the old Hulk EQ leap bug.

You simply turn on Astral Legion, cast Astral Projection so you get 4 more images, then turn of Astral Legion to desummon and finally repeat ad infinitum.

After a little bit you get something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FANYCi0TWAc

this is pretty great.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Hahaha so much for my thought of "testing a summoner build to see if there's anything there." Looks like there is, at least for now.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Hulk is the best 100% Hulk all the time. I'm going to Double-Diamond Gigaprestige him. My chatname color will be a shade of Red never conceived of or seen by the human race.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

Hulk is the best 100% Hulk all the time. I'm going to Double-Diamond Gigaprestige him. My chatname color will be a shade of Red never conceived of or seen by the human race.

You're no DaveBo Vijj

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

lmao forever, nice job gaz

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

robotsinmyhead posted:

Why would you prestige Hulk beyond green??

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

Practice run for Red Hulk duh???

also can anyone explain why THUNDERBOLT ROSS doesn't have a bitchin mustache when he hulks out? where does his mustache go???

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 28, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

jubelio posted:

You're no DaveBo Vijj

Here Jubelio, I made you a WordFind

Edit: vv I guess if you count non-childish stuff like ox and bar, maybe fix.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 28, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

davebo posted:

I found 5 words. Are there more?

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

davebo posted:

<3

You still wearing your wolvie costume? Gonna take someone else to red this weekend?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

jubelio posted:

<3

You still wearing your wolvie costume? Gonna take someone else to red this weekend?

The last time I wore it was with the friend who gave it to me, who pointed out I never took the tag off. As though he expects me to dress like that in public.

Thread-related though, I had a chance to hop on and take Strange to 15 I think. Seems fun but I feel like there's a lot to keep track of in terms of all the cooldowns and stuff that does damage based on how many cooldowns and meter of purple pips that eliminates a cooldown. You know I'm just used to stabbing dudes with 6 hand-knives, I can't keep track of all this stuff. But it sure looks purty.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 28, 2014

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Ahundredbux posted:

I feel you, I really do - but Green prestige is almost worse than white. It's like saying, "I'm going to take the next step into dedication!", then giving up immediately afterwords.

Plus, green looks terrible in chat (which is why no one stops on Orange either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

robotsinmyhead posted:

I feel you, I really do - but Green prestige is almost worse than white. It's like saying, "I'm going to take the next step into dedication!", then giving up immediately afterwords.

Plus, green looks terrible in chat (which is why no one stops on Orange either)

Green looks the best in SG chat and puts you first in the list in the SG roster. QED

• Locked thread