Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Quit capitalizing the b in my name. It's not secretly short for David Bowie. Also, new goons play this game! It's always a great time to start, and once you do you can never leave and you just keep having fun forever and then you start wearing tissue boxes on your feet and preserving your urine in jars and growing your fingernails really long and play with us forever!

Edit: vv it's dave-bo

davebo fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

jubelio posted:

You're no DaveBo Vijj

Here Jubelio, I made you a WordFind

Edit: vv I guess if you count non-childish stuff like ox and bar, maybe fix.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 28, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

jubelio posted:

<3

You still wearing your wolvie costume? Gonna take someone else to red this weekend?

The last time I wore it was with the friend who gave it to me, who pointed out I never took the tag off. As though he expects me to dress like that in public.

Thread-related though, I had a chance to hop on and take Strange to 15 I think. Seems fun but I feel like there's a lot to keep track of in terms of all the cooldowns and stuff that does damage based on how many cooldowns and meter of purple pips that eliminates a cooldown. You know I'm just used to stabbing dudes with 6 hand-knives, I can't keep track of all this stuff. But it sure looks purty.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 28, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Edit: ^^ do you mean on test center or is that something they just flipped a switch and enabled on live?

StashAugustine posted:

-Teleport to Taskmaster, kill Taskmaster. 1 PP
-Teleport to Hideout, kill Hood. Rarity boost

Just so you know the rewards for these two are reversed. Just in case someone wants power points but hates rarity boosts and gets confused.

Edit:vv because the S stands for Special. If they just handed them out to any mook running story missions they wouldn't be special. :colbert:

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 31, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Diabetic posted:

I'm one to talk, but what's wrong with you? Cousin loving Hulks who rule the Southwest?

I had to borrow a friend's paperback just to know the context for the old Wolverine costume I have, and it seemed pretty goofy but I will say that shot of Pym Falls was awesome.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
edit: ^^ oh yeah, and that one

Why do none of the Wolverine builds max Unleash the Beast? If you can get gear to max it and fill your entire Fury bar every time then brutal slash his single target is godlike. I was in a midtown and I don't know what kind of group buffs the other players were running but I saw a 748k brutal strike in there. Normally I max out around 500k. I don't even have a point in feral growl. The first build seems like its all single target but not optimized for it, and since it's also midnightsoul's I'd just axe it and move his other one up, and leave kryopsis' as a bleed build if people are still doing those.

Here's mine for reference:
http://marvelbase.com/builds/view/1495-Current_build_minus_gear_buffs#vM2KvKv2K2K2vjjKvv/221.101.172.195.185.2.10.13.207.223

Edit: vv Wolferine build was ICR's I think. Despite the huge amount of time I put into Wolverine since launch I never did a build guide or anything remotely helpful because :effort: The most I've contributed to this community was giving away a bunch of my Pym's Shrinking before I realized they became super rare. Oh you are ICR, duh. Why can't everyone be consistent and boring with their internet names like me?

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 1, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I think the general consensus with RIF was that it has less effect the higher you go up the drop chain. Meaning, if you're running at 200% rif you're most likely getting a lot more blues than you would otherwise, and a fair amount more purple, then a little bit more cosmics and hardly any more uniques than you would have gotten at 0%. So if you're going for purple gear with a high rolled affix, like for example you want Luke Cage to have +36 credit find gear in slots 4 and 5, then finding blues you can upgrade and purples with +36 is something you want to shoot for. But if all you want is uniques then high rif is not worth wearing crappy gear with rif for.

The one thing that is pretty quantifiable is the eternity splinter drop rate because it can be averaged out and is consistent. I recall someone saying one guy ran crazy sif and over a long period the drop rate was only affected by like 30 seconds. So yeah that tells us that it's "working" but it's certainly not important.

edit: vv yes definitely. When I had over 1000% stacked I don't think I saw a single green. It's definitely working as intended, but I think a lot of people would appreciate uniques getting a timer like eternity splinters so if you're just really unlucky you know something will come along and break that streak eventually.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 2, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I'll just hold on to the LL cores I've been hoarding, but frankly I've always preferred the extra 25% health/spirit ever since they added a dedicated health pack key. The heroes I have that can deal enough damage that 0.5% LL will keep them alive while tanking, tend to need to spend a lot of spirit to output that kind of damage, so the 25% cores help with that anyway. The really fragile heroes that you would think need LL tend to get low on health so quickly they have to back away from a fight for a few seconds, rendering the LL useless anyway.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Eiffel On You posted:

Cosmic Prestige Baby Wolferine? Yes, it's happening now.

I will be god damned if I'm gonna let anyone but that poopsocker Elgand get a cosmic wolverine to 60 before me.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

davebo posted:

I will be god damned if I'm gonna let anyone but that poopsocker Elgand get a cosmic wolverine to 60 before me.

I'd like to take this opportunity to retract this statement I made. It was made before actually playing the cosmic prestige and now that I see it takes almost 2 hours to get to lvl 10, I don't think this is quite the "race" I was looking for. Please everyone else feel free to beat me to cosmic 60. As much as I say I like Wolverine, it is clear to me now that my normal Wolverine is quite beastly, and the fact that it only takes me one hour to normally get levels 1-40 means I didn't really have an appreciation for how mediocre sub-30 Wolvie was. I mean he's fun to me but... it sure was nice progressing past the crumminess quickly. I feel like there's some ghost with a slow aura following me everywhere.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

jubelio posted:

and, to be honest, there are other ways to wave your dick in somebody's face.

Yeah but my yellow name won't get me arrested.

I liked the idea of cosmic prestige because I just wanted an excuse to play my Wolverine more, but I have to say that even though I understood full well that it would take a lot longer to do, I just assumed all they did was massively increase the xp needed for each level, instead of lowering the xp you receive. It would be nice to make it easier for people to take the massive amount of time they'll be playing these characters to try out different legendaries, different builds that may not have been optimal for quick 1-60 runs in the past. I dunno, maybe Gaz will change that around, maybe not. I just enjoyed getting to spend more time at 1-5 with a maxed gungnir.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
edit: ^^ That's one thing I like about cosmic prestige is just lingering in the story areas now and then. When the game launched and there wasn't much else to do I played through the story a lot but now I only peak into it for LQ's, so it's nice to spend some time revisiting thsoe environments and seeing all the assets created for them that don't appear anywhere else. I get tired of midtown and don't really like to do x-def when I'm at the very bottom of a 10-level range.

When Squirrel Girl launched I thought she was going to be the go-to pet class then when nothing but crit buffed the squirrels I gave up on that and went for savage swipe and autofire acorns and never looked back. The way I have her set up now she's fine, pretty mid-tier, but nothing beats holding a squirrel in front of your face and having it shoot hot nuts at all of your opponents. Build-wise mine is just like Kelp's but with a few points stolen from the third tier passives to max autofire and no pet-buffing artifacts.

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 4, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Disco Bandit posted:

I felt like all of my gear was appropriate for my level, but it's entirely possible (read: highly likely) that I have no idea what I'm doing gear-wise, so Torch benefited from going full dps and building glass cannon without really understanding what I was doing and how that would apply to other heroes. Though, if others don't feel like MK is frustrating and I do, that doesn't bode well for the other heroes that actually are frustrating.

I just wasn't that big on MK myself, but that probably has more to do with the fact that I already have a favorite single-target focused melee hero of choice. If your frustration lies in feeling that his damage didn't scale so well when you got above the 40's, is it possible that you just had really decent low-level gear? Having gear that grants an ability early or cosmics that add a few points makes a larger difference in the teens than it does in the 40's, so that might be it? It may just be the lack of huge aoe that's doing it though. Most content in the game isn't incredibly difficult, and it just feels more satisfying to be hitting every single dude on your screen at once than just focusing on a couple guys at a time.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Giedroyc posted:

Right so rather than do the story each time (which considering I was in beta and so I've already done the first 4 chapters more times than I'd care to remember) you can just level 1-20 in Manhattan Patrol, then do legendary quests for massive XP afterwards before doing some of the other survival modes? Some legendary quests involve playing the story dungeons on heroic difficulty so do you have to play that to unlock all the SHIELD points again?

Got Storm from level 1 to level 14 last night in under an hour playing Manhattan Patrol which is pretty fun.

Also since launch they've added X-Defense and Holosim, which are also both great ways to level up before you get legendary quest access. Holosim you can even do solo.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Lux Aeterna posted:

So are you guys actually going to bring up the fact Gaz can't math with the cosmic prestige or is this nugget being dropped after the first people hit 60?

I got distracted from my cosmic yesterday when I got Iron Man, who like everyone says is crazy fun. I love one-off because while I enjoy the sheer volume of enemies in midtown, every now and then I get to a point where there's just so much spawning and I'm sick of it and just want everything on my screen but me to be dead. Trash, blues and yellows. I can't believe there's a button that does that and it has such a short cooldown.

But yeah, Gaz said cosmic would take 25 times longer and that's exactly what I was prepared for. If that's not accurate then they ought to fix it so it is. I don't think that's unreasonable to expect it to take exactly how long they specifically told us it would.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Philosopher King posted:

Not in the OP. - I'm talking about how long it takes to get through story and 1-60.

There is no one answer to that. I can go 1-60 in 3 hours. It's different for everyone based on how much they've already played. If it's your very first run through I'd say if you only play the story and don't do anything else it might be 3-4 hours? The higher you go though the longer each level takes, and there's no real reason to spend all your time wandering around the story areas on the road to 60. I'd do the story once 1-23 or thereabouts, then try out some x-defense, holosim and midtown, and dip back into the story mode for legendary quests and to do the specific missions that give good rewards like extra power points and xp/rif boosts.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

silvergoose posted:

I think he was saying that the story could be completed in that time.

Yeah sorry, rereading my post I'm talking about a lot of different things all bunched up together, but yes I meant 1-60 in 3 hours without even touching the story, then 3-4 hours for a newbie to do just the "Normal" story mode, and then proceeding on to everything else the game has to offer.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Tintifax posted:

Ok, from a new player (me) on his first character, playing casually through the story, quite often unloading trash at the crafter etc. My Storm is at lvl 42, in the middle of the 2nd story playthrough, do some legendaries in between and sometimes a terminal. Definitely not minmaxing my levelling speed, I've clocked 42 hours in Steam...

You are playing this casual game too casually! Kick it in to high gear! *whipcrack*

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Zeike posted:

Dont you have like bugged 700% xp?
Man I wish. Just the 200% hero synergy, Cyclops' 10% and 10 days of the 25% boon. I burned through a lot of my 100% xp bars on my Deadpool green-red bender, so now I'm stingy with them.

Kainser posted:

People in this thread really tends to underestimate how much time it takes for people to level up their first few characters.

Well I honestly don't have a great idea because 1-60 took like a month and a half at launch, but things have changed so much since then. I know it's easier now but not exactly how much so.

Also I normally leave signatures off on thsoe terrible official forums full of Big Bang Theory and anime signature jpegs, but I clicked on this sig-maker and just had fun configuring it with all the costumes and what-not, so if anybody enjoys that sort of thing it's pretty elaborate:
http://seanwmcginnis.com/marvelheroes/configuresig.php

I kept mine simple and looks like this:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I think the best bad maths were early on in the game. When Hulk's leap would compound with interest until you zoned so that if you stayed in a midtown instance long enough he would just one-shot bosses. And the time when the slow effect stacked so you could do say the red Doc Ock terminal with Storm and have his killed before he lifted the first chunk of concrete up in the air to throw. Those are the good bad maths. This bad math just results in us having to grind twice as long as we had intended to do based on the description they wrote.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
edit: ^^ beaten

So glad I didn't blow more than I did trying to cosmic so far.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

WarLocke posted:

I want a Doop team-up.

What would he say as you go around murdering Doops? That just seems cruel. I'm also no a big fan of having all these things on screen that look like you should kill them. Having Emma's pets was one thing but now we've got Taskmasters everywhere and before long there'll be Venoms and Magnetos. They need to alter these villain default costumes somewhat to try to make it more obvious in midtown explosions who I should be trying to cut into pieces.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

HPanda posted:

Can anyone give a lore explanation why Doop is a loot piñata? I'm only slightly familiar with the comics, but from looking at wikis, it looks like he's a good guy. Why are heroes setting him on fire and shooting him?

Mind you, I'll still be setting him on fire for his pretty cosmics regardless. It just seems kinda weird unless there's something in the comics to explain it.

I stopped reading Marvel books about 8 years before he was introduced so I could be wrong but it's my understanding that his body can be used as some sort of interdimensional portal, so in theory he could just have all this gear just sitting in limbo in an alternate universe and you're essentially making him barf it up.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Spudsly posted:

What a stupid loving thing to say. Just every aspect of it. No, there was no partof saying that it wasn't 1/50th that was correct... well you see it's 1/25th of the exp you'd get if you didn't get an invisible, mechanic free normalization. But don't worry, that "arguement" (pointing out that Gaz f'd it out) was not necessary because both sides were right! All that conclusive evidence that showed that what they tried to implement had not happened (and resulted in them fixing it) was for nothing, everyone was right.

Yeah, this struck me as a really silly issue to suddenly become all chickenshit about. No one is going to care or read them the riot act if they just said "hey we set an integer wrong and it was hosed up for a week, sorry." It's fixed and done now so there's no real point in anyone on their end ever discussing it further, and Gaz already had a reputation for bad maths, so all this issue has achieved is garnering them a new reputation for actively trying to weasel out of admitting a mistake.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Lemon Curdistan posted:

(M'Kraan stats)

So, uh, on my IM this would mean 1024 crit rating with a 10% chance on hit to do 205k damage "in a large area" on a 20s cd.

My Iron Man has 1800 spirit as a gimmick and I cannot wait for this ridiculousness.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

LordHippoman posted:

Just finished my first runthrough of the story as Luke Cage, can't wait to try heroic on my random box Nightcrawler...

Oh. I have to start on Normal again. :psyduck:

Well, that sucks.

Why would you want to play a level 1 character on Heroic though? You'd die constantly. If you don't want to play through normal on Nightcrawler just do Holosim, Midtown and x-defense until you unlock heroic mode.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

MMAgCh posted:

I'm rather disappointed to find that apparently you can only turn multiple duplicate uniques into other stuff at the crafter. Does this mean that to get rid of superfluous non–duplicate uniques, I'm still stuck waiting for that mysterious Starktech update?

Yes, and you get a random unique, so I really don't understand why the uniques you put in can't be random. It is a dumb system.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

alansmithee posted:

It's far better than the previous system of keeping them in your stash/vendoring them.

I mean I don't see how it's a bad system-people complained that uniques were too rare so they up the drops, then they complain there's too many uniques, but not the right ones so they give a trade in. I'm assuming they'd like there still to be some randomness in getting uniques.

I guess the next step can just be removing gear slots 1-5 for pre-set stat bonuses based on the uniques that formerly went in those slots?

Having something to do with unused uniques is better than nothing, I don't think anyone argued that. The moment they introduced uniques a bunch of us on the forums wondered if there would be a random unique recipe, because regardless of rarity, you're going to end up with a unique that isn't right for your heroes or builds and something so rare shouldn't just be thrown away for 200 credits. Doomsaw said no, there would never be a random unique recipe, with the typical Gaz justification for their decision as none whatsoever. So they finally flipflopped, which is great and we have a random recipe, but you can't use it on anything unless you happen to find a bunch of identical uniques. Okay, but why? When I do a random costume they don't require I put in 3 identical costumes. That would be stupid, right? And costumes are actually worth real world dollars whereas uniques are just items that drop in the game.

It's not a "bad" system, it's just stupid.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Babyface Mingo posted:

Really neat game, currently playing through it. It's got a shitton of content and it let's you play as a fuckton of villains/heroes which is really neat. If you're looking for a more relaxed single player Marvel game then I'd definitely recommend it.

I'd love a co-op relaxed marvel game but why does everything have to be Lego nowadays? Can't studios just share assets and plug 3d models into different engines at this point? Give me Lego Marvel with the Marvel Heroes assets and I'll buy two $5 copies and run through with a friend. I'd love another Ultimate Alliance game once it went on sale.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

KittyEmpress posted:

Hulk beat up literally everyone because he's angry enough to do so

Hulk should be best hero. One hit every boss!

He did do that for a whole week last year. I think every hero deserves one week of completely glitched out OP nonsense. I'm hoping something goes horribly wrong with wolverine's 52 rework that results in an amazing glitch to get me through these last ~17 cosmic levels.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Lunchboxx posted:

With that said (campaign plus minor dabbling in terminal stuff) what the hell should I be trying to get done before this weekend then what should I be aiming for during this weekend? I'm sure as poo poo going to whale a bit and buy some Gs because I am having enough fun with the game to warrant buying a few things. Stash space is looking like a definite, and with BOGO I'll pick up a hero or two. Iron Man and Gambit both sound like fun, is there any reason for me to avoid either one of those two for later on? I'm having enough fun with Colossus still, and it sounds like it is worthwhile to get your dudes to 60, so that is a definite possibility.

Just make sure you buy Gambit first then open the BOGO token. You'd feel terrible if you bought them together them your bogo from Gambit was an Iron Man token. Iron Man lives up to the hype which is why I saved him for almost last, but instead of playing him properly I went for an all spirit gimmick build and its still just as fun as any hero I've put actual thought into building. Once I get him to red 60 I can start upgrading stuff because I'm determined to hit 2,000 spirit.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

HPanda posted:

They definitely know how to get people to spend money on this game.

May '13 davebo: I'm just gonna preorder the Wolverine pack then play whatever free drops I get. Oh the $20 Wolvie pack is "sold out? I'll just get the $60 one.

July '13 davebo: Well maybe I'll just get all the X-Men since that's what I was into when I was young.

December 13' davebo: Hey if I shell out a hundred bucks for the 2014 advance pack then I can use all my splinters to get every hero in the game I don't already have and max out the xp synergy bonus. Of course I'll need to buy stash tabs for the heroes I'm going to prestige a bunch but they're $1.50 cheaper than regular stash tabs so it's stupid not to so gaz take all my money!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

It depends. Originally he was a decent, if un-notable, D-list villain with a Harry Potter demon cape. Then he became Bendis' personal project and he got power bloated, and suddenly he could take on heroes like they were nothing because otherwise he couldn't become the crime kingpin they wanted to use him as in Dark Reign, somehow forgetting that Marvel has an infinitely better character for this who's coincidentally called Kingpin. He works well in the game, but in the comics he just really gets up my nose because he's so Mary Sue all the way down to not having a loving costume.

What caliber handgun does he have that does so much damage compared to all the maggia's and other's guns? Does everyone else actually have BB guns and he's the only one shooting proper bullets?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

Loki gives him a Norn-stone so he uses it to make his guns shoot magic bullets.

I have no idea if this is a joke post or is that actually what happens in the comics?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I don't care what SG build they make most optimal because I'm never changing from my autofire acorns build. You hold what looks like a taxidermy squirrel in front of you that fires 10 acorns a second from its mouth at people. If there's a ricochet squirrel basic to augment that then all the better.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
With all these changes have they mentioned force-respeccing everyone's characters for this build? I always hated when that happens as opposed to just giving us free respec for a day or free tokens or something, because some characters I don't play often but when I do its because I need odin marks and just want to whip out a daily odin mark bonus on them and don't want to remember and recreate an old build or figure out a new one. I think someone mentioned free respecs so I'm hoping this isn't necessary?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Supergroup nerds were nerding out about comics and complaining about Deadpool, then this happened:

Doomsaw is watching over us.

Edit: vv I sure as hell hope they never let us have more than one active at a time. My screen is already chock full of Magiks and Falcons.

davebo fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 25, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I have a Wolverine question I'm just wondering if anyone has encountered. He has a proc on a unique so that any time an ally dies he gets 5 seconds of unlimited fury. It's great if you have ngarai demons or someone manages to kill the sabretooth summon, but I was testing things out trying to get it more often so in my 40's I equipped a level 25 sinister medallion hoping the weak clones would die quick and gimmie that sweet sweet fury. But no go, they'd get killed but it doesn't count as a summon the way others do I guess, or is that a glitch?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Pindakaas posted:

In case you missed it they re-enabled the random hero and costume codes for a little while longer.

They actually said they did but it isn't work, then they said they'll look into it. So it's not working but it will soon so keep an eye out if you missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Russad posted:

For those people levelling in X-Defense/Midtown, do you just go back later and slog through the story for the bonus skill points and stuff? I find that to be a slog in general, more so when I grossly outlevel the content.

...B-b-but my skill points.

You basically get most of the teleport platforms opened just by doing or even rerolling LQ's, so it's very easy to get the power point missions from chpt 7 in normal mode through the end of superheroic. The only tricky bit is getting the chapter 2 and 4 skill points from normal because you have to warp to them with another hero then switch, or if it's your first hero just dash through the game to those two points.

Edit: also you can't actually warp to hood or kingpin then switch, because those are instances so you're bound to that hero. Just warp to them, exit back to the street and switch heroes, then walk back inside.

• Locked thread