Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

jubelio posted:

Dr. Strange Build

This was the base I settled on

From that point you can max demons of denark for some health regain or a basic for levelling or whatever. Seven suns should probably get threaded between higher cooldown incantations and vapors of valtorr is the main reason you are looking to get the 5 stack reset. The build is very slot heavy, basically any 1 point utility powers are vying for 1 or maybe 2 slots on your bar. The passives are unimpressive even with the 50% boost they get from maxing your stacks.

This is the basic Strange build unless you're doing that astral projection gimmick, and I am not impressed at all after spending quite some time with him on TC. It's a lot of work just so you can reset Vapors of Valtorr - not worth it imo. The cast animation on Flames of the Faltine is horrible and the damage on it is mediocre yet it has a pretty small aoe and a cooldown? His most impressive dps ability isn't even an Incantation, it's his Signature. I get what they were trying to do with him and I think he is very fixable but he's just kind of a mess right now and a lot of micro for very little gain. I pretty much only play decent aoe nuke heroes, I really like Dr. Strange as a character, and I really like his spells' graphical effects but I don't think I'm going to pick him up in this state, even for Splinters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Oh poo poo, that explains the weird damage numbers I was getting on TC when I tested the astral build. I suspect that this is going to get patched very soon.

e: I should pick up the good Doctor and abuse this to get him to 60 asap

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Toshimo posted:

Make no mistake, I like Punisher and I'd like to play him every day, but they effectively took the 6th most effective Hero (out of 28? at the time) and gutted his 2 strongest abilities with nothing to compensate. There was no chance he'd stay in the top half. He's not Thor or Thing, but I find I make better use of my time farming with a fun A-list Hero and hoping to pass an O'Grady/HoD/GotK back to Punisher in 6 months when he finally gets reviewed.

I really miss Frank the Tank. I found a very well rolled Eidolon Warwear for him back when it wasn't raining uniques and he was unkillable except to extreme spike damage / one-shot abilities. He was my favorite hero. RIP.

e: I take back what I said about Dr. Strange, he's actually pretty fun in X-Defense once you figure out the lazy/faceroll build.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

doing this immediately, see y'all at 60

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

"Check out Rocket over there. He was bitten by a radioactive raccoon!" - Spider-man

Team-ups own.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Everything that adds % damage functions exactly the same whether or not it says "base" damage in the description. It's the same poo poo as synergies where it's just converted to DR. This is less "broken" than Taskmaster's melee basic.

All of the damage boosts on attributes are just straight static DR conversions yet again and they are still not very impressive. Not enough to warrant giving up better costume core mods for most heroes, such as 25% health/spirit on medkit or invuln on medkit.

e: Defense on core seems to be just waaaay inferior to straight +health, which I've seen approach 2000.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 15, 2014

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

2 seconds of invulnerability is basically like your hero gained a new power. I find that to be much more useful than a minor damage (miniscule, even) increase.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I want to use M'Kraan Crystal every time they buff it but Gungnir still seems to provide more damage for my Iron Man.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Jedit posted:

^^^ 600 DR on Crystal plus a free One-Off every 20 seconds would absolutely destroy Gungnir where IM is concerned.

No, it's like not even close for me. I have a 50% crit rate with Gungnir so the CDR is better than 600 DR and 200k damage every 20s is not much when pulse bolt is critting for 60k half of the time. Odinrage is pretty significant as well.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

It's not a 12% DR increase. Percentage damage has a DR equivalence. For example, every Blessing of Odin is equivalent to 210 DR vs. Bosses only. Blessing of Loki is terrible for damage: 3% unaware damage means 126 DR per blessing, which is one of the worst. I really dislike Fandral - Critical Rating is easy to get and subject to diminishing returns. Chances are high that you have a better source for critical rating than your blessings. I just can't see using anything but Hela for pure damage. Many characters can use the various utility from other blessings, of course.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Whoa, cool sig. The UI is smaller.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Sue is amazing. She might be my favorite hero in the game.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Damage values are up across the board save a few exceptions. Certain heroes like Spider-man got massive damage boosts because almost all of his skills were tagged Fighting, plus the baseline buffs and stat buffs. The skills that were reduced in damage either obviously needed to be nerfed or were long cooldown sigs that had their damage offloaded to other skills. The nerfed skills include Ball Lightning, Freezing Tempest, Lightning Column, X-Slash, and Phoenix Inferno. The long cd sigs include One-Off, Aerial Assault. This is not a comprehensive list, I do not have most characters at level 60.

Cable's damage is up across the board. Loki's damage is up across the board. Cyclops' damage is up across the board. Scarlet Witch's damage is up across the board and bewildering hex still works fine as of the time of this posting.

Iron Man got buffed. Yeah.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

We the disappointed IMs want changes

1.Bring back our TO-O to its current level on live

2.Nerf of TTL option(eidolon,ll cores,25/25cores) is push us to reduce our dmg when everyone else get buffs

3.M'Kraan- lets be honest its always been IM legendary,we know it must became useful for other but till then buff it to 100% spirit to crit

4.Unique for slot 2 which provide dmg and def option to compensate TTL nerf from 2.^

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Invisible Woman can easily get 100% invisibility uptime, I just tested it. It's pretty op so we made a post about it but I can't see how they can fix this without resorting to extremely harsh/drastic measures.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

ok my body is ready what uru should i put this on and which anime waifu should i equip it to

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

edit: I hate you gibcount

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Deadpool is pretty solid. For some reason he gets an extraordinary amount of poo poo from goons who don't play him. Guess they feel that they have to chime in on poo poo that they have no idea about. I'm just about done levelling melee Taskmaster and Deadpool just seems more useful overall, but Taskmaster is more fun to play. I just don't feel quite as effective and he certainly doesn't have Li'l Deadpool. Deadpool is much, much squishier than Taskmaster but he has taunting dolls to make up for it.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

I agree, Black Widow is one of the best melee heroes in the game right now. Ranged Taskmaster feels a lot better than melee while levelling in the higher levels, btw. I'd be surprised if Deadpool's ranged tree doesn't get massively buffed for his review. His biggest flaw is that he is so boring at the moment.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Slot 3, why???? They just added the Kraven belt. Where is the any hero slot 1 for pet damage, mr Gaz??? where is it???

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

efb by Buttes but I need the Magneto shirt.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Axe gives you more damage than Gungnir if you have a decent crit rate already. Excalibur is less damage than both choices but it offers some survivability, though of course you won't get any of that damage on any ranged attacks you use.

I'd recommend the axe myself.

I don't get how this is true when the CDR on Gungnir gets better as your crit rate goes up, and also the fact that CDR adds directly to BDR. How can Excalibur be that far behind when it has 200 more DR and 100 more CR? I can't see how the BR and BDR make up for the difference, nor the proc. What am I missing here?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Yeah I like how the character with a huge aoe bubble that grants 50% damage reduction to allies inside with no cooldown has "zero defensive abilities." Chaos Warp is literally the best defensive power in the game. She used to be broken tier and now she's just great instead of totally op and still probably going to be a top pick for raids (depending on how the encounters are set up.)

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Iron Man is one of the best heroes in the game because he does very consistent, very high aoe dps with a unique mechanic that prevents him from running out of spirit, ever. He has no build diversity whatsoever (except for gimmick punch spec) and his playstyle is extremely boring. I have been mashing S (micro-missiles) , D (shield explosion) , left click (pulse bolt) , and right click (jericho) for months now. He also has very little utility, weak defenses, and no group buffs whatsoever. The only character that can possibly match Tony in overall capability at the moment is Dr. Strange, mostly because he doesn't have the same weaknesses.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

alansmithee posted:

I heartily disagree about SW. She can't frontload damage on bosses making her bad at running terminals unless you're doing full clears, and then she's only ok. The reduction on Chaos Warp is a joke because of the slow windup and the fact you're stuck there for everything to pound on. The best defense in cosmics is still to not get hit. Compared to Strange for instance, she's significantly worse in every way. I will admit that my threshhold for doing well in cosmics could be higher though and I rarely run Xdef so I underrate performance there.

You seem to value solo cosmic terminal clearing capability very, very highly whereas you completely discount group content. Does anyone even give a poo poo about running cosmic terminals alone other than when they are boosted for an event? They are adding raids soon, the ability to run cosmics well or poorly doesn't even factor into my assessment of heroes.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

That's funny because that's exactly how I feel about cosmic terminals, they aren't worth the trouble or time by a mile. They used to be when cosmic rings were as common as slots 1-5 when they first implemented them.

Toshimo posted:

So, yeah, terminal running speed is an important thing if you want to polish off your heroes to "raid-ready standards" for your personal definition of that.

The gently caress does it matter how geared out your shitbird melee dork is if he is useless in raids? The heroes that are going to be good in raids are going to be good regardless of whether or not they have BIS gear so I'm failing to see your point and how it applies to Scarlet Witch in particular. She is either going to be good at raid encounters or she isn't, her cosmic clearing ability has nothing to do with it. Having GOK and MFH is not going to make or break her.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 13, 2014

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

jubelio posted:

So you're argument is "being able to run cosmics doesnt matter cause I dont run cosmics and your reason for running cosmics is dumb, furthermore having best in slot gear is dumb"

Please PLEASE do not out-toshimo toshimo.

Taking a character from fresh 60 to survived cosmic Kurse is a pretty rewarding process, especially since their group utility almost always improves along the way too. Getting better gear(or BiS gear) from cosmics definitely changes the way you can play a hero and the level of impact you can have in groups.

That's not what I said at all. I am well aware of the satisfaction of gearing out a fresh 60, that's all I've been doing in this game (on Iron Man) for almost half a year now. This whole discussion started because two posters had very different definitions of "best hero in the game" based on the type of content that they prefer/prioritize. The point I was trying to make before I got distracted by random Toshimo words is that people should clarify why they feel a particular hero is strong or weak at the things that they like to do in Marvel Heroes. (At least if they are trying to express an opinion that's not just random stream-of-consciousness blorted onto a keyboard.) Not that this is a salvagable thread in the first place, mind you.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Mechanical Arms of Doctor Octopus is one of the few uniques I'd waste molecules on leveling to 60. It's one of the best in the game.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Sheesh, Psylocke is even more terrible than I imagined.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

HUMAN FISH posted:

Ranged/area build is kinda weak and boring - ping with a psi power for the DR boost, drop dot, implode and spam Psycho Blast. Throw some butterflies around and repeat. Does less damage than Mrs. Invisible with similar gear, while simultaneously being even squishier (like 9k hp, 7.5k defense).
Should be ok after a damage pass, especially the ranged psi powers are complete garbage at the moment. Very one note, it's like playing Jean Grey.

Yes, the base damage values on those ranged abilities are atrocious. Even if they do a damage pass, I agree that it's a very boring playstyle due to the design of the skills. It's like a bad Emma.

HUMAN FISH posted:

Tried a full mental melee build (with Psionic Assault and Vortex) too, which seemed powerful but has about a 0,07% chance of working against a moving, attacking enemy.

The DPS was kind of low on this build compared to good single-target damage heroes but a large part of that might be due to the difficulty of hitting things, as you say.

HUMAN FISH posted:

Physical melee seems great. Stealth roll away for the 50% damage bonus, Assassinate back. Punch things. Psi-Strike seems crazy good. Might be a bit clunky for actual gameplay? Didn't play around with it too much.

The physical ninja stuff seemed the most viable for the current test server build but it did feel super clunky and the total DPS seemed very low, it just has somewhat big numbers when you hit with Assassinate and stuff. Overall I agree with your assessment 100%. I hope she gets some decent tuning in the next couple of days.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

They are adding dual specs I believe but monetizing respecs has been a tried-and-true staple of free to play MMOs since their inception.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Invisible Woman’s Seeker Orbs no longer have an animation - and as such, can be used while moving.

never say never I guess, they did it even though I said they wouldn't

• Locked thread