Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The save file is literally what tier are you on, how much cash do you have, what cars have you bought, and what upgrades. If they managed to break save compatibility between versions that would be spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

There used to be a bug that caused your saves to be... not exactly nuked, because they were still in the savegame folder but you couldn't access them in-game, and it was triggered by changing your Steam name. :laffo: if they still haven't fixed that.

They didn't break save compatibility between versions, so your saves shouldn't have been affected by updates. My current save has been fine since the beta.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Weird, I don't know what happened then. I thought this game had cloud saves too.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Someone made a bunch of poo poo-hot V8 cars and slapped them into a rad trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPHkvN-hSOI

Blood Riviera :fap:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Songbearer posted:

Someone made a bunch of poo poo-hot V8 cars and slapped them into a rad trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPHkvN-hSOI

Blood Riviera :fap:

Rad so now i can kinda do that policecar chase from the Blues Brothers

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Is that the loving '69 Manta from Vigilante 8 in the thumbnail? [fake edit] oh my god it is and they've made like half the cars from that game and a bunch of old Carmageddon cars. I must have these now.

The trailer music was a bit disappointing though, I like cheesy hair metal as much as anyone here but this kind of trailer needs more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twy4vVs0tnU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

drat, those V8 cars are awesome. Would be cool for someone to mod the Interstate 76 cars in as well too.

Also, a little late to the party but I am loving the new optimizations, it's as smooth as Max's bald head and actually fun to play now! The new Ferrari sports car and Merc tank are pretty awesome too.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 7, 2016

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

^ Word, this game owns

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

They just put out a trailer for "Carmageddon Max Damage"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEu-agoA4Rc

Basically a console release with some new stuff, read somewhere the new poo poo will added for free to the PC version.
Car splitting! :dance:

e: Apparently Max Damage is just going to be a separate title you get on PC rather then a game update?

quote:

But don’t worry - we haven’t forgotten about your support - and because we value your continued loyalty so much, when Carmageddon: Max Damage is released on PC you will automatically receive a copy. Yes, that’s another Carmageddon in your Steam library – for free!

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 22, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Cross-platform play would be cool. I wonder what features they're going to add to make it stand out from Reincarnation, if any.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm gonna assume this is a similar situation as with Wasteland 2, where they released the Director's Cut version with a bunch of new stuff on PS4 and Bone and gave the PC Director's Cut for free to everyone who owned the original Wasteland 2.

I was 100% certain the console versions had been axed after the PC launch was a bit of a garbage fire, and I didn't know if we were ever going to get the car splitting feature either. I'm glad I was mistaken. This is good. I like this.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hexenritter posted:

Cross-platform play would be cool. I wonder what features they're going to add to make it stand out from Reincarnation, if any.

The big rig is a pretty nice feature.

Plus more ped varieties, and the graphics do look nicer.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ddraig posted:

The big rig is a pretty nice feature.

Plus more ped varieties, and the graphics do look nicer.

Big Rig sounds fun. More ped variety certainly can't hurt either. Finding fatties and grandmas is my favourite ped-based minigame and I love the mincing gait the fatties have as they try to leg it from you.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Awesome, more Carma :D

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Do people honestly complain about the dubstep in the game? That's hilarious considering probably the majority of people playing this only like Fear Factory etc. because Carmageddon introduced it to them when they were impressionable 12 year olds.

Good game.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I love carma and I liked english rock for the most of my life and more recently noise rock and math rock

tips
Feb 16, 2011

AugmentedVision posted:

Do people honestly complain about the dubstep in the game? That's hilarious considering probably the majority of people playing this only like Fear Factory etc. because Carmageddon introduced it to them when they were impressionable 12 year olds.

Good game.
no getting pissed about The Terminator is timeless dude.

tips fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 23, 2016

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

tips posted:

no getting pissed about The Terminator is timeless dude.

idgi?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrPV7FBlANU

Good song (i lied)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

i wish there was a way to send this to people without the name showing up

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Fairly sure it was Prodigy's Firestarter and Korn's Freak on a leash that got me into heavier music. Then FF and Static-X etc. When igot carma I was like huh why isn't Burton singing. Tho, Carma 2 deff made me appreciate Maiden

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

AugmentedVision posted:

Oh yes. Go to the official Carmageddon forums to see a lot of well-informed opinions on game development and equally great suggestions for improving things such as the background music. At one point, someone unironically suggested that Stainless should get the guy from Mindless Self Indulgence to do the soundtrack. :gonk:

I think the music sperging has died down quite a bit since one of the patches added the option to replace the contents of the music folder, but some people were really up in arms about the dubstep at first. I didn't particularly care for it myself, but it wasn't really any worse than the electronic stuff in the old games and I just put on Spotify in the background instead of having a meltdown on the forums.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Standalone expansions are all the rage now, get with the times daddio.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Doc Morbid posted:

Oh yes. Go to the official Carmageddon forums to see a lot of well-informed opinions on game development and equally great suggestions for improving things such as the background music. At one point, someone unironically suggested that Stainless should get the guy from Mindless Self Indulgence to do the soundtrack. :gonk:

I think the music sperging has died down quite a bit since one of the patches added the option to replace the contents of the music folder, but some people were really up in arms about the dubstep at first. I didn't particularly care for it myself, but it wasn't really any worse than the electronic stuff in the old games and I just put on Spotify in the background instead of having a meltdown on the forums.

did this really happen? I do not like dubstep not one bit but it never bothered me in the game, I don't even remember the music really, I guess I never pay too much attention to other stuff that is not gameplay

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The dubstep in this game is hardly offensive

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The "dubstep i mean shitstep" quote in the OP is an actual post from the official Stainless forums so yeah, for some time it was a thing to whine about the music as loudly as possible.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Doc Morbid posted:

He did the boss music for Lollipop Chainsaw so it's not that big of a stretch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faAXsgrCGu8

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Hm, that sucks considerably less than the MSI stuff I've heard. Wouldn't sound out of place in Carma at all.

okay Stainless forum spergs you win this one

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
It was the OP and a few idiots that really had some weird issue with dubstep being present, that was never really the opinion of the old guard there.
And I wouldn't have tossed the MSI suggestion(it was just that, a suggestion) if it wouldn't have fit.

There's a lot of stupid on that forum but it doesn't apply to the majority of the population.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Humans Among Us posted:

Tho, Carma 2 deff made me appreciate Maiden

Hell yeah. At the time I first heard it, it didn't make a big impact on me because I was a dumb kid, but at some point in high school I had a realization I needed to listen to more then just music from video games and decided to look into the real music I heard in a video game :v:

Never been super crazy about the dubstep in Reincarnation, but it's pretty inoffensive and not totally out of place from what I remember.

Man I hope Max Damage edition improves on car handling. Outside of performance woes that was my biggest gripe with Reincarnation.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'd rather have dubstep or whatever you'd call this games music than the generic as hell butt rock that still plagues most B level racing games. For some reason European developers just loving love CHUGGA DA CHUG CHUG guitars.

e: and I'll gladly give this game another chance if they're retooled some things

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

TheCoach posted:

It was the OP and a few idiots that really had some weird issue with dubstep being present, that was never really the opinion of the old guard there.
By "the OP", do you mean the quoted post I put in the OP? Because even though I'm not a huge fan of dubstep, I really have no issue with wubs at all and I say as much in the OP. And yeah, there were reasonable comments about the music as well, the complainers were simply the loudest ones.

quote:

There's a lot of stupid on that forum but it doesn't apply to the majority of the population.
This is true, a lot of the posters there are perfectly fine folk who have unfortunately been drowned out by the deluge of whining at certain points. I certainly don't think everyone there is a terrible nerd or anything. (I'm a terrible nerd)

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Hell yeah. At the time I first heard it, it didn't make a big impact on me because I was a dumb kid, but at some point in high school I had a realization I needed to listen to more then just music from video games and decided to look into the real music I heard in a video game :v:

Yeah when i was young and dumb i always thought that Maiden and such sounded cheesy as hell with those high pitched vocals. But then i got used to it and it opened up the way to awesome stuff like Megadeth and Overkill and whatnot :madmax:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
On the dubstep stuff, Morgue did cop a lot of poo poo for his contributions (hardly any of it was actually dubstep, mind) and that went a ways to making the poor guy feel pretty poo poo, it wasn't fun to see.

I think what he bought to the game was a modernised since of absurdity and fun musically which is befitting to the game and can be viewed as somewhat mocking those who hate it.
Nobby made a good call throwing that spanner in the works, I think.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

On the dubstep stuff, Morgue did cop a lot of poo poo for his contributions (hardly any of it was actually dubstep, mind) and that went a ways to making the poor guy feel pretty poo poo, it wasn't fun to see.
Yeah, isn't there like... one song with some wubs in the whole game? Of course, these days it seems like some folks call all electronic music dubstep, just like they called all electronic music techno 10 years ago.

That's a real shame to hear about Morgue. :smith:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah it hit him bad in the feels, It's one thing to say "Yeah I wasn't into it", it's another to make threads demanding a patch where you can "Get rid of that dubstep bullshit".
It's a man's art, for gently caress sake.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

that's some serious bullshit. People suck.

I am a metalhead first and foremost but the tunes in the game are fun and work quite nicely.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Carmageddon 2 got me into Maiden, which was great.

Reincarnation has some pretty cool music. I admit it's not quite up to par with Carmageddon 2's stuff, mainly because I imagine it would be hellish to licence big named bands for the game on the budget they had to work with, but the music fits and isn't offensive.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Not spending much on music licensing was in fact done on purpose, according to Nobby's forum posts and stream commentary. Stainless knew that most people would just play their own tunes on Spotify or whatever, so like you assumed they didn't want to blow their limited budget on big-name bands (Maiden would be a hell of a lot more expensive now than in 1998), only licensing the iconic Fear Factory song from the original Carma and some lesser known but fitting stuff (Morgue and our very own Maximum Sexy Pigeon) for the in-game soundtrack.

Looks like there's a few people who were introduced to Maiden by Carma 2. I probably would have discovered them at some point anyway because they're really popular in Finland, but Carma 2 definitely got me into their music. Before I bought any of their albums, I'd actually play the Carma 2 CD on my portable player at school. :krad:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah, isn't there like... one song with some wubs in the whole game? Of course, these days it seems like some folks call all electronic music dubstep, just like they called all electronic music techno 10 years ago.

All I seem to hear 'the kids' on about lately is 'trap' this and 'trap' that. Courtesy of the 'it's not loving techno!' blithering back then, I've effectively tuned it out since.

Ddraig posted:

Carmageddon 2 got me into Maiden, which was great.

While the game didn't get me into Maiden, any time I hear Aces High or The Trooper, I have flashbacks to playing Carma2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It also made me appreciate one of the lesser known songs "Man on the Edge" which is about that Michael Douglas film Falling Down, which makes it rather appropriate for Carmageddon, probably.

• Locked thread