Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«85 »
uncurable mlady
Jan 13, 2008

get meow dis wack-ass crystal prison

horrible nerdpinion posting goes here, don't loving lf it up too much because goons are just as terrible

quote:

Michael, you tend to make interesting points that get brushed under the rug because you can't resist throwing your hobby horse issues into every conversation.
"mainstream business culture of entitled executives and board-whores"
This ignores the huge and growing influence of engineer-led companies, YC empowering founders vs financiers, and technical VCs like a16z. The tech leadership here is miles better on average than any other city I've worked in or know through friends.
"Snapchat and Clinkle setting the tone in the current Valley"
I know these companies piss you off, but they're not setting the tone in the Valley. They're more like an NBA player getting a max contract without making the playoffs. Google, Facebook, Apple, Twitter are all waaaaaaay more important than anyone taking VC money right now. And if you're talking about "hot topic" companies, Whisper and Secret are relevant now than either of the two you mentioned.
"rents becoming unaffordable"
This is not a tech issue, this is a structural local government land use issue present everywhere in the US but more of an issue here because of SV's wealth (vs income) generation.
"no-poach agreements all over the Valley"
This is a big deal for a large number of employees, but Facebook crashed that party years ago, and it didn't apply to startups anyway. Besides, breaking that cartel probably raised rents even more.

quote:

wdewind 3 hours ago | link

What's the part where it's anti-psychopathic then?

michaelochurch 3 hours ago | link

Anti-psychopath doesn't mean "good person". Many anti-psychopaths are good people but it's not a law of nature. Anti-psychopathy seems to be about sensitivity.
A common anti-psychopathic/hypomanic pattern is the creative "flare-up" in which a person is highly focused but intolerant of inefficiency. Such people, when faced with the slow pace and meaninglessness of most corporate work, often just elect to do something more useful, or try to solve the deeper and more important problem. It's hard to blame them.

wdewind 3 hours ago | link

> Such people, when faced with the slow pace and meaninglessness of most corporate work, often just elect to do something more useful, or try to solve the deeper and more important problem. It's hard to blame them.
Again, massive implication here. Why are you so sure that the anti-psychopaths are making the right call, that the work they are working on is more useful to the organization?

michaelochurch 2 hours ago | link

Why are you so sure that the anti-psychopaths are making the right call
Case by case, one can't be 100% sure on every call, obviously. But I will choose the beneficial and sometimes altruistic creativity of the anti-psychopath over the self-advancing vice, social competitiveness, and superficial reliability of the psychopath every time, and be right most of the time. No one can make the right call all the time.

wdewind 2 hours ago | link

> But I will choose the beneficial and sometimes altruistic creativity of the anti-psychopath over the self-advancing vice, social competitiveness, and superficial reliability of the psychopath every time, and be right most of the time
I do not accept the premise that the behavior your are describing is by definition "beneficial and sometimes altruistic." And I do not accept the premise that the reliability of the psychopath is superficial.

michaelochurch quotes are basically cheating tho

quote:

TAC1234567 2 hours ago | link

This will not be a popular opinion, nor is it a nice opinion, but sometimes the truth is neither and I think it is valuable to be explicit about these things sometimes.
The "stigma" against mental illness makes sense in a lot of ways.
I do not mean: that the mentally ill deserve fewer legal rights than others, deserve any kind of bad treatment or violence or ridicule, shouldn't be "accepted", or bear any "responsibility" for their condition.
I do mean: life is full of subtle social contracts that mental illness often causes people to flout. Mental illness (in many cases) makes people less predictable and reliable. Harder to deal with.
Some people reading this will say "obviously that is true, which we all acknowledge but have no reason to dwell on, and that is why it is a complex situation that demands awareness". Others will say "that is false and you are a bad person". First group, I refer you to second group.
If you are 100% committed to the goals of your organization (growing a startup, winning a war, whatever), you will be very hesitant to add a mentally ill person to your team/company/platoon. This makes sense. It sucks. Being mentally ill sucks. This is one of the ways.
That doesn't necessarily mean anything needs to or can be done to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncurable mlady
Jan 13, 2008

startups, war, what's the difference really

please don't lf post

uncurable mlady
Jan 13, 2008

rotor can you fix the thread tag thanks.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Gas!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why did you say "goons are just as terrible" i think u meant to say shruges is just as terrible please correct and release a version 2.1 hotfix

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

startups, war, what's the difference really

please don't lf post

start ups. start ups never changes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

startups
good god, y'all
what are they good for
absolutely nothing

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Bloody posted:

why did you say "goons are just as terrible" i think u meant to say shruges is just as terrible please correct and release a version 2.1 hotfix

notorious bsd is also increasingly making his terribleness apparent

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

[terribleness intensifies]

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

Trophy-ko says:
~death to capitalism~
;3

Bloody posted:

[terribleness intensifies]

sup

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i like vlc.

power botton posted:

he should change his name to beastie smalls

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tele-juche

nolf?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t2YJIfSdXM

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

quote:

As a conservative-ish person in tech, I'm glad I made the decision to hide my politics beginning a few years ago. You people are vicious. I'd love to have an open debate or conversation, but that doesn't seem to be your game.

Our culture is in middle of making unprecedented changes to a core social institution that goes back into prehistory. It's going to be a messy process and some people are going to disagree. That's reasonable and shouldn't be grounds for disbarment from polite society. Let's dial back the vitriol

Lastly, equality isn't an unmitigated good. We treat different people differently depending on the circumstances, and for good reason. For example, you probably don't believe that children should be able to marry, or more than two people. "Equality" isn't a magic word that wins all arguments.

Personally, I raise an eyebrow when a six year old boy raised by adoptive lesbians decides he is transexual, and I feel like society may be failing that boy. But we are so drunk on the doctrine of equality that there is no stepping on the brake...

equality isn't an unmitigated good

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

also,

"i'm glad i learned to hide my opinions"

*posts terrible opinions*

uncurable mlady
Jan 13, 2008

remember when we got shrughes to delete his twitter, that was pretty funny

and then he came and careposted about it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier
of the Neil Bush Torch

teh butts

power botton posted:

boy howdy

uncurable mlady
Jan 13, 2008

rotor posted:

boy howdy

uncurable mlady posted:

rotor can you fix the thread tag thanks.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier
of the Neil Bush Torch

teh butts

im on my phone what tag do u want

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

tag is fine as it is imo

uncurable mlady
Jan 13, 2008

rotor posted:

im on my phone what tag do u want

hacker safe

or maybe the stone cold steve austin one, i like that

uncurable mlady
Jan 13, 2008

double sulk posted:

tag is fine as it is imo

well now that you're here!!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

Trophy-ko says:
~death to capitalism~
;3

netscape is the best tag

uncurable mlady
Jan 13, 2008

this one is appropriate all things considered

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

equality isn't an unmitigated good

im the implied

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol if you read any of this

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

(Backstory) I do FOH for a band on the road. Been With the band for about 15 months. The guitarist produced an album for a different band, that did well in the 90's. So he is a self proclaimed "God of Sound". On my case the entire time I have been with the band.
The only thing he ever tells me to turn up? His Guitar.

(the story) We are doing the show last night. A third of the way thru the show, he is signaling to me from the stage to turn him up. Every single time he walks out to solo, he signals to me and shakes his head disappointingly.. This is stressful, because now I know, Im going to have a big confrontation with a drunk guitar player after the show. Just as expected, while we are loading out, he is in the green room talking up a poo poo storm to the band.

But THEN, right as he is talking poo poo, the drummer from Pantera walks in with his posse, and starts Raving about how it was the best sound he had ever heard at that venue. Then in the meet and greet, same thing. Everyone saying it was great. Such perfect timing. SHUT DOWN!

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

salisbury shake posted:

(Backstory) I do FOH for a band on the road. Been With the band for about 15 months. The guitarist produced an album for a different band, that did well in the 90's. So he is a self proclaimed "God of Sound". On my case the entire time I have been with the band.
The only thing he ever tells me to turn up? His Guitar.

(the story) We are doing the show last night. A third of the way thru the show, he is signaling to me from the stage to turn him up. Every single time he walks out to solo, he signals to me and shakes his head disappointingly.. This is stressful, because now I know, Im going to have a big confrontation with a drunk guitar player after the show. Just as expected, while we are loading out, he is in the green room talking up a poo poo storm to the band.

But THEN, right as he is talking poo poo, the drummer from Pantera walks in with his posse, and starts Raving about how it was the best sound he had ever heard at that venue. Then in the meet and greet, same thing. Everyone saying it was great. Such perfect timing. SHUT DOWN!

theadder
Dec 29, 2011

pram posted:

yep

my stepdads beer
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

i 100% agree with most things posted on reddit and hacker news.

uncurable mlady
Jan 13, 2008

quote:

[UPDATE] Following the publication of this story, Oculus Rift creator Palmer Luckey wrote on Reddit that Oculus VR employees have received death threats in the wake of the company's sale to Facebook.

"We expected a negative reaction from people in the short term, we did not expect to be getting so many death threats and harassing phone calls that extended to our families," Luckey said. "We know we will prove ourselves with actions and not words, but that kind of sh** is unwarranted, especially since it is impacting people who have nothing to do with Oculus."

gj nerds, stay classy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tele-juche

exterminate all nerds

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

random boners and goldeneye

Sagebrush posted:

exterminate all

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

i'm glad tech is taking leadership over finance because maybe now instead of hyping up a barebones technology solution to a problem that doesn't exist, they will use all this brainpower and funding to solve real problems that are going to take longer than 1 year to solve. right?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

uncurable mlady posted:

gj nerds, stay classy

how dare that dude not turn down a 2 billion dollar offer

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

Displeased Moo Cow
Jun 15, 2009

Shitty Macbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

poemdexter posted:

i'm glad tech is taking leadership over finance because maybe now instead of hyping up a barebones technology solution to a problem that doesn't exist, they will use all this brainpower and funding to solve real problems that are going to take longer than 1 year to solve. right?

«85 »