Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That is a pretty sick use of clavinet right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So the show starts in about 90 minutes. If the show is like the first 2/3rds of Sound City Music, it should be interesting.

I have HBO Go, but haven't tried to watch anything live with it yet. Does anyone know how long it takes before I can watch it on that?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

IUG posted:

So the show starts in about 90 minutes. If the show is like the first 2/3rds of Sound City Music, it should be interesting.

I have HBO Go, but haven't tried to watch anything live with it yet. Does anyone know how long it takes before I can watch it on that?
If it's anything like Game of Thrones, it should be up immediately as it comes on TV, or almost immediately at least.

Also, they're broadcasting a live streamed concert from The Cubby Bear in Chicago at 11 (Central) immediately following the premiere on HBO's Facebook page :dance:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:siren: Sonic Highways episode 1 is now live on HBO Go. :siren:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also, they're broadcasting a live streamed concert from The Cubby Bear in Chicago at 11 (Central) immediately following the premiere on HBO's Facebook page :dance:

They are, and it's loving awesome.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

IOwnCalculus posted:

They are, and it's loving awesome.

This set is amazing. Cheap Trick? Yeah. I can get behind that. 100%. Wish they did more than one song though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"We don't have much time left, so gently caress that encore poo poo. Let's just keep playing, how 'bout that?"

And now he's chanting "gently caress. THAT. CLOCK." along with the audience.

Oh Dave Grohl :allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

This set is amazing. Cheap Trick? Yeah. I can get behind that. 100%. Wish they did more than one song though.

Wish granted. :getin:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
That was a pretty loving awesome show and I wish I had been able to get tickets.

Also, Surrender was just fan-loving-tastic.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wish granted. :getin:

My favorite hit too. God drat. AND loving NAKED RAYGUN? ARE YOU making GBS threads ME.

Dave Grohl might just be my favorite person.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_2oR97KQBc

#2 is by far the best.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

my favorite Foo Fighters song is Learn to Fly. how scrub-tier is my music taste?

Eh, mine are Hey, Johnny Park! and New Way Home, so maybe we're in the same boat. Learn To Fly is the closest 3rd I can think of.

X-static and For All The Cows come goddamn close to that, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fenrir posted:

Eh, mine are Hey, Johnny Park! and New Way Home, so maybe we're in the same boat. Learn To Fly is the closest 3rd I can think of.

X-static and For All The Cows come goddamn close to that, though.

Anybody who gives you poo poo for loving Hey, Johnny Park! is a fool and scoundrel. It's definitely in my top five.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Inspector_666 posted:

Anybody who gives you poo poo for loving Hey, Johnny Park! is a fool and scoundrel. It's definitely in my top five.

Hey, Johnny Park! is a loving sublime slice of music. The way Dave sings the first line gives me goosebumps every time.

Has anyone mentioned Good Grief yet? Because if not, why not, that may be the best Foo Fighters song.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just watched the first episode of the episode show and drat if they're not going to have a hard time topping that. Naked Raygun. Albini. Cheap Trick. loving blues history with Buddy Guy and Muddy Waters. I want a show a about the history of just music in Chicago. For a place so racially/economically segregated, the sounds that have come out of that city have been nothing short of magic and Grohl and co. captured that perfectly in the first episode.

_Leviathan_
Jul 12, 2006

by Lowtax
The part at the end of Hey, Johnny Park! where there's a big drum fill, and Dave starts shouting, "Now that I found my reward, I'll throw it away long before" was always one of my favorite moments of Colour And The Shape.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ruddiger posted:

Just watched the first episode of the episode show and drat if they're not going to have a hard time topping that. Naked Raygun. Albini. Cheap Trick. loving blues history with Buddy Guy and Muddy Waters. I want a show a about the history of just music in Chicago. For a place so racially/economically segregated, the sounds that have come out of that city have been nothing short of magic and Grohl and co. captured that perfectly in the first episode.

Somebody needs to make a documentary just about Steve Albini. I mean, when I first heard Big Black I was like :psypop: in a good way, but hearing him talk about the studio and the tantalizing tidbits about poker were super interesting.

Also I learned that I don't respect Cheap Trick nearly as much as I should.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The Foo Fighters really do put on a great show and they are my favorite band

I saw them as part of the DeLuna music festival in Pensacola in 2012, literally 100 feet from the Gulf of Mexico and they were really impressive. A ton of energy and Dave is great on stage and with the crowd. Also, at one point the speakers went out and half the crowd just kept singing the song while the other half kind of booed or groaned. The band couldn't tell, so they kept playing for a bit and then when they realized it, they went into that sort of holding pattern they do in the middle of songs. When the speakers came back on Dave was like 'Did we just rock so loving hard we broke poo poo?' and then they went on to finish the song. It was pretty awesome.

During the encore they played Dear Rosemary and Tom Petty's Breakdown with Bob Mould and then sang Happy Birthday to Joan Jett before playing Bad Reputation.

Pearl Jam (my second favorite band) closed the night before and I felt like the Foo Fighters blew them out of the water. The Zac Brown Band closed on Sunday, but I really felt like the Foos were the highlight of the festival.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

For me it's "Times Like These" which I would also say is one of their best tracks period.

I don't know if it was because I heard the song all the time on every music station in town, or a lot of TV shows or movies might've used it, but I think the song was played so much that it killed what enjoyment I did get out of it.

I think it is a bit unfortunate how the Foos seem to shun One by One nowadays because I really do enjoy a number of tracks on it. I don't think it was revolutionary. It was just a good rock record, maybe a bit too produced but I like most of the tracks on there, particularly Low and Tired.

The Foos also do some excellent cover songs. My favorites are Darling Nikki and Danny Says.

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

I can't wait until the new album drops in just a few weeks, it's going to be a stellar listen. I'd also like to echo the love for Hey, Johnny Park! That was easily one my favorite songs off that album, but for me my favorite Foo Album might just be "There Is Nothing Left To Lose". It was the first album I ever got and I listened to it non-stop as a teenager. Even now, I just keep coming back to it because I love the energy of "Stacked Actors" and "Breakout", but my favorite all-time Foo Song is on this album "Generator".

It's probably an odd way of looking at it but I almost feel like "Generator" is a different take on the themes of "Everlong". In "Generator" the chorus sings "I'm the Generator, firing whenever you quit/ Yeah whatever it is, you go out and it's on/ Yeah can't you hear my motored heart/ You're the one that started it/" and I just love the imagery of something that has broken down becoming reinvigorated. The progression of the song is also one of my favorites and the drums, as with all Foo songs, just warmly resonates. I just love "Generator" because it feels like a love song for people that need a kick-start. A love song for people that aren't sure they can love, but you have your generator and they make everything better.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think it is a bit unfortunate how the Foos seem to shun One by One nowadays because I really do enjoy a number of tracks on it. I don't think it was revolutionary. It was just a good rock record, maybe a bit too produced but I like most of the tracks on there, particularly Low and Tired.
Yeah, Low loving ruled. That one and Overdrive are 2 of my favorite Foo songs.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

_Leviathan_ posted:

The part at the end of Hey, Johnny Park! where there's a big drum fill, and Dave starts shouting, "Now that I found my reward, I'll throw it away long before" was always one of my favorite moments of Colour And The Shape.

Same here, dude. That poo poo was golden. Then the heavier version of the chorus riff kicks in and it's like :drat:

That minute and a half or so is my favorite part of their entire catalog to date, just a notch or two above the part in New Way Home where the tempo gradually gets faster and faster. (Soundgarden did that once to great effect as well, in "Gun")

I'm not scared...

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 23, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

YouSpoonyBard posted:

I love the energy of "Stacked Actors"

That's a song I didn't give enough credit to the first time around. Once I caught them playing it live with an epic instrumental sequence in the middle, I changed my mind. Listen to it on the Wembley Stadium recording.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
As a person born in 1982, Nirvana was my introduction into music that was not weird al yankovic.

I honestly don't know why, but I never listened to much Foo Fighters. I mean, I knew the singles, I even saw them once in the late 90s and liked it a lot, but just never got into them. What the gently caress was I thinking? C&S is so good I'm absolutely stupefied that I've never really listened to it before.

I'm constantly saying stuff to my 12 year old like "man, I wish I could go back and listen to that nirvana unplugged concert for the first time again," or whatever... but with FF I'm pretty sure I get to actually live that fantasy.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Add me to the love of Hey, Johnny Park! The opening drums and guitar are amazing.

In the Xbox Rock Band game, my band name was Hey Johnny Ballpark.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

They announced yesterday a surprise show at The Black Cat in DC, which holds probably around 700 people or so. Tickets were in person, cash only, $20 each. The venue tweeted three hours before tickets went on sale "If you're not in line by now, don't bother."

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

SgtScruffy posted:

They announced yesterday a surprise show at The Black Cat in DC, which holds probably around 700 people or so. Tickets were in person, cash only, $20 each. The venue tweeted three hours before tickets went on sale "If you're not in line by now, don't bother."

Do something like this in Boston, assholes. Do it at Middle East Down or something.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

IUG posted:

Add me to the love of Hey, Johnny Park! The opening drums and guitar are amazing.

In the Xbox Rock Band game, my band name was Hey Johnny Ballpark.

Don't feel bad, while my rock band name wasn't a Foo thing, I loved playing their songs in that game. Learn To Fly was SO fun.

Also, this thread has gotten me on a Foo kick lately. It's all you goons' fault. MAKE MY WAY BACK HOME AND LEARN TO FLY.

e: ok I'm really listening to Hey, Johnny Park, and it's impossible. I can't let it out. You'll never know, am I selling you out?

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 23, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Platypus Farm posted:

As a person born in 1982, Nirvana was my introduction into music that was not weird al yankovic.

I honestly don't know why, but I never listened to much Foo Fighters. I mean, I knew the singles, I even saw them once in the late 90s and liked it a lot, but just never got into them. What the gently caress was I thinking? C&S is so good I'm absolutely stupefied that I've never really listened to it before.

I'm constantly saying stuff to my 12 year old like "man, I wish I could go back and listen to that nirvana unplugged concert for the first time again," or whatever... but with FF I'm pretty sure I get to actually live that fantasy.

I'm several years older than you but I made the grave mistake of never seeing the Foos live. I even had the chance several times but never did it, so I envy you.

Not sure how that's supposed to replace Nirvana, though. I'm not a huge Nirvana fan (I think even Foo Fighters, who also aren't anywhere near my favorite band, are a lot better than Nirvana), and that said I still don't think Foo Fighters could ever replace what Nirvana was. It's just a completely different thing.

Then again, I actually DID see Nirvana live and it kinda sucked. Maybe that soured me on the band when they were pretty much the gods of everything to most 90s kids.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 23, 2014

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I've seen them live twice, it loving ruled both times :toot:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, how is this not awesome? Are you scared? I'm not scared.

Man I need to catch these guys on a tour. Every time I see a live recording of them it seems like they're just so awesome and so glad to be there and having a goddamn blast.

I felt like this on my way home...

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Fenrir posted:

I'm several years older than you but I made the grave mistake of never seeing the Foos live. I even had the chance several times but never did it, so I envy you.

Not sure how that's supposed to replace Nirvana, though. I'm not a huge Nirvana fan (I think even Foo Fighters, who also aren't anywhere near my favorite band, are a lot better than Nirvana), and that said I still don't think Foo Fighters could ever replace what Nirvana was. It's just a completely different thing.

Then again, I actually DID see Nirvana live and it kinda sucked. Maybe that soured me on the band when they were pretty much the gods of everything to most 90s kids.

It wasn't so much a replacement thing - because yeah it's a completely different animal - more of a thing how if you like XXXXX band, you end up listening to the side projects of the members, if that makes any sense, so I'm not entirely sure how I missed the bus :P

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fateo McMurray posted:

Do something like this in Boston, assholes. Do it at Middle East Down or something.

It seems like they're gonna do it in each city they shot an episode in on the night the episode airs.

I mean, that's a patter from 2 points, but still.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

It seems like they're gonna do it in each city they shot an episode in on the night the episode airs.

I mean, that's a patter from 2 points, but still.

And of course they didn't do anything in Boston. We have nice punk roots. Come here and talk about The Rat and write a punk song about gently caress the Yankees.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fateo McMurray posted:

And of course they didn't do anything in Boston. We have nice punk roots. Come here and talk about The Rat and write a punk song about gently caress the Yankees.

Yet another objective statement that Boston sucks :smug:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
They just premiered "The Feast and the Famine".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPv0AOlTxXA

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Don't think I'm feeling it as much as Something from Nothing, but still pretty good. I got a distinct One by One vibe from it.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Yet another objective statement that Boston sucks :smug:

I'll fuckin' cut your face

(:love:)

I liked Something from Nothing better but The Feast and the Famine is in no way a bad song. Just gets me more stoked for the album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Why do I feel like I've heard part of Feast and the Famine already? Was it in the episode last week or did they play it at the livestreamed gig afterwards or something?

It's a pretty solid song, but yeah, I'll echo that it's not as much of an instant favorite of mine as Something From Nothing is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I think the chorus was used in a trailer for the Sonic Highways show

• Locked thread