Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

oddeye posted:

Maybe they pass off the second season to a different band?

Tom Waits please.

I want a documentary where people follow Axl Rose around from city to city and you get to watch an insane person talk about music sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Re: Sonic Highways, I wrote about some places where I think they should go next and am curious what ideas you guys have should there be a season 2.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Good call on the Twin Cities. Hell, if Grohl turns down a second season, I'd love to see Craig Finn take the reins.

How about St. Louis and Memphis. Portland?

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 11, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Craig Finn doing a hybrid of this show and Insomniac would be amazing.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Got three more episodes of this to watch but, after initially being sceptical of it being an exercise in self indulgence, I'm really into this show. It's excellent. I'm ignoring the songs at the end though. I'll listen to the finished album after I'm done with the show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ICHIBAHN posted:

I'm ignoring the songs at the end though. I'll listen to the finished album after I'm done with the show.
It's probably an even better show that way!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Because I refuse to let this thread die:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwoI2luPN1k

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

BigFactory posted:

I want a documentary where people follow Axl Rose around from city to city and you get to watch an insane person talk about music sometimes.

Episode 1 is Axl Rose going to Jamaica and doing nothing but asking for reggae.

Edit: WRT Sonic Highways, I'm not sure I'm down on the album past about the first 3 songs. The album seems to peter out for me after that. To be fair, I feel like I was going into this expecting Wasting Light 2 and building my expectations to unreasonable levels. I'm still in love with both Wasting Light and Them Crooked Vultures though so I can always just fall back on those.

I also get way more glee out of that Fresh Pots video than is healthy. I love imagining Dave Grohl as some kind of hyperkinetic manchild that is perpetually on a caffeine rush.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 3, 2015

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
everlong was good but im not sure he's ever been involved in anything else worthwhile. maybe nirvana i havent really listened to them seems like all hype though.

still he's a nice guy if a bit dumb, hopefully he does something interesting at some point.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr. Unlucky posted:

everlong was good but im not sure he's ever been involved in anything else worthwhile. maybe nirvana i havent really listened to them seems like all hype though.

still he's a nice guy if a bit dumb, hopefully he does something interesting at some point.

It still blows my mind when people don't know nirvana's catalog front to back. The music was everywhere for so long, but that's 20 years ago now. Weird poo poo.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Everyone probably knows at this point that Dave broke his leg at a show in Sweden then came back and finished it.

The story got better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5qE9Tq0XJI

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gonna be so glad that he's not going to cancel the concerts in America for us. He's earned that rock god throne.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
My first thought of someone touring on a loving rock and roll stage throne was man he's got some balls to do that.

Second thought: You know what, he's going on tour with a loving broken leg which is something you don't very often. He's earned the hubris to do so from a throne. Motorize the fucker and give it fireworks launchers for the man willing to do a cross country tour while unable to walk.

I've got tickets for them in September, wonder if he'll be sporting the Golden Rock n' Roll God Emperor of Mankind look by the time that comes around.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I saw Foo in Fenway on Saturday night. It was loving awesome of course (and that field is way bigger than it looks from the stands).

Some things about the show I'll put in spoiler so that those going to the show can be surprised if it happens to them.
A whole lot of Queen love. They covered Under Pressure!
They also covered AC/DC's Let There Be Rock.
The throne can move forwards/back!
They played for 2.5 hours, and he said that they would just play through and not act like they were done early. I think this was because there was no easy way for Dave to leave/get back on the stage.
During the solo for Outside, Dave played the guitar on his broken leg!

So awesome.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JozAmXo2bDE

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

As if Dave would even want to turn that down:

@foofighters: Ci vediamo a presto, Cesena.... xxx Davide
https://t.co/o3ThIE4QYV @rockin_1000

(That means "Yes.")

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

IUG posted:

So I saw Foo in Fenway on Saturday night. It was loving awesome of course (and that field is way bigger than it looks from the stands).

Some things about the show I'll put in spoiler so that those going to the show can be surprised if it happens to them.
A whole lot of Queen love. They covered Under Pressure!
They also covered AC/DC's Let There Be Rock.
The throne can move forwards/back!
They played for 2.5 hours, and he said that they would just play through and not act like they were done early. I think this was because there was no easy way for Dave to leave/get back on the stage.
During the solo for Outside, Dave played the guitar on his broken leg!

So awesome.

Hello fellow Boston goon! I was also at that show, I thought they were great! It was my second time seeing them (I saw them at the Garden during the Wasting Light tour in 2011), and I almost enjoyed this set more than the last one! The fact that they played "I'll Stick Around" off the first album was amazing

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is so unbelievably rad :swoon:

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Dave Grohl is a cool human being and I appreciate his attitude and his contributions to the pop landscape but for some reason I can't get into 'the Foo' at all. As far as hits go, I kinda liked "Times Like These" but I think my approach to the band may be entirely wrong. I've been able to tap into bands that I was sorta on the fence about in the past by listening to albums, or sides of albums rather than individual hits. Assuming I am decently versed in all the stuff that's already received a ton of radio play, where do I start?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

rest his guts posted:

Dave Grohl is a cool human being and I appreciate his attitude and his contributions to the pop landscape but for some reason I can't get into 'the Foo' at all. As far as hits go, I kinda liked "Times Like These" but I think my approach to the band may be entirely wrong. I've been able to tap into bands that I was sorta on the fence about in the past by listening to albums, or sides of albums rather than individual hits. Assuming I am decently versed in all the stuff that's already received a ton of radio play, where do I start?

Is your general feeling about the foo fighters that they're sorta milquetoast radio rock? Cause if that's your criticism with what you've heard so far, it just means you have a good ear.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

rest his guts posted:

The Colour and the Shape and There Is Nothing Left To Lose are both pretty much essential listening for anyone interested in the band. Most of their biggest hits are there, supported by solid deep cuts. (As amazing as "Everlong" is on its own, it's even better in the context of the full album.) These albums represent the two sides of the band's golden age; Colour & the Shape is still a nearly all-Grohl effort, while Nothing Left To Lose adds an actual band. (Not that you can really tell just by listening.)

There are definitely many people who prefer the self-titled first album, but personally I find it a bit uneven -- or at least, not really an accurate representation of what the band is all about.

After those, feel free to check out Wasting Light, which takes the "surprisingly good later album" spot. It's not as critically unassailable as the above, but most people agree it's still pretty damned good, and lacks most of the various pitfalls of their albums from the 2000s. (Although honestly, I think all of their albums are pretty easy to like.)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

rest his guts posted:

I like some of their big hits and Dave Grohl but I too just can't get into the band either because as mentioned above, its just radio rock and its kind of boring to me.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Dave seems to be into playing to a certain comfort level for the past decade and it was exemplified by a scene from Sonic Highways. The band was in Nashville, Chris is working on a country-riff and Dave jokingly but seriously says that they can't do country music on a Foo Fighters album.

I dislike modern country with a passion, but I'd rather see the Foo's take on it rather than the luke-warm dad-rock that made it to the album.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cheesus posted:

Dave seems to be into playing to a certain comfort level for the past decade and it was exemplified by a scene from Sonic Highways. The band was in Nashville, Chris is working on a country-riff and Dave jokingly but seriously says that they can't do country music on a Foo Fighters album.

I dislike modern country with a passion, but I'd rather see the Foo's take on it rather than the luke-warm dad-rock that made it to the album.

Man, some of us just like dad rock, okay?

Seriously, my music collection is basically a who's who (The Who) of classic rock. I do agree that they never seem to stray too far. After that Probot album and Wasting Light I thought it was time to get heavy for the band. Instead, God As My Witness. :sigh:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Man, some of us just like dad rock, okay?

Seriously, my music collection is basically a who's who (The Who) of classic rock.
Is "dad rock" the same as "classic rock"? I always thought it was a slur for self-catalog-derivative music. Like an X band who might one have been good to great but is currently making music that sounds like an X cover band who has only ever listened to X.

I wouldn't diss classic rock from my glass house of Bowie. :D

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
You're delusional if you don't think Rush is both dad rock and good

I listened to some of these suggestions and I think it's just not for me. I don't find the music offensive or anything though and I'm glad he's getting people into music

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 3, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cheesus posted:

Is "dad rock" the same as "classic rock"? I always thought it was a slur for self-catalog-derivative music. Like an X band who might one have been good to great but is currently making music that sounds like an X cover band who has only ever listened to X.

I wouldn't diss classic rock from my glass house of Bowie. :D

Dad rock is often just a derogatory way of referring to classic rock, but it should refer to what you're talking about. Bachman-Turner Overdrive is dad rock. Led Zeppelin are classic rock.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I like some of their big hits and Dave Grohl but I too just can't get into the band either because as mentioned above, its just radio rock and its kind of boring to me.

Honestly, I consider myself a fan of the band for sure, but The Colour and the Shape and maybe Wasting Light are the only albums I put and play all the way through.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
The Million Dollar demos (original recordings of One By One tracks that ended up being re-recorded) leaked today!

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/08/the-entirety-of-foo-fighters-million-dollar-demos-tape-leaks-online/

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

rest his guts posted:

If you want to hear Grohl play in something stranger and less radio friendly but still quite good, check out the collaboration album he did with Josh Homme and John Paul Jones called Them Crooked Vultures. Grohl does drums and backup vocals for it. It does sound kind of like Queens of the stone age (given the front man, obviously) but still winds up having its own style to it. I actually wind up listening to that and wasting light more than anything else Grohl has done.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Sound City documentary soundtrack would be a good example along those lines too. It's masterminded by Grohl about as much as Sonic Highways, but plays with a more diverse range of sounds and styles due to the various different guest players involved.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Sound city is just a good movie.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

BigFactory posted:

Sound city is just a good movie.

I like the first two thirds of it but then it becomes a commercial for the soundtrack. Sonic Highways is the same to me as well, good stuff but then it becomes "BUY MY RECORD"

I agree that he's a very likable guy but his music just sounds so bland that I can't get excited for it. There's nothing wrong with FF's music, but it's just sort of there.

I found Them Crooked Vultures to be a huge letdown. It sounds like QotSA, which is fine for QotSA but god drat it, you've got the guy that wrote No Quarter in your band, LET HIM WRITE SOMETHING. That's like making Picasso paint your house white.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah that's probably right. The dave grohl angle of sound city was gas and away the least interesting part.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favourite part of Sound City was

"Goddamn computers ruining music" - 15 people

*cuts to one guy* - "On the other hand, computers are okay I guess*

*cuts back to Neil Young bitching about computers*

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Went to see them last night. They had Gary Clark Jr opening for them, which I had not heard a lot of until now: I'm going to have to check him out. Dave has a smaller boot cast now and doesn't have to keep it elevated so he now looks more like the Rock and Roll God Emperor of Mankind now. He's able to stand up on the throne now, but still has to walk in crutches. Since this was in Wichita, they actually opened the set with Carry on my Wayward Son and tore it up. Dave even said at one point "We know about 35 seconds of all your classical hits" and that he would of played Dust in the Wind but he thought it would bring the mood down.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Saw them at ACL last night and Gary Clark Jr. who is a local guy had played his own set at a different stage and then came and played in the song he did on the album with them. It was awesome, also listen to Gary Clark Jr. he is the bomb.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

http://lobby.foofighters.com/

So it looks like some announcement is coming up in 24 days from now. See you all on November 22nd!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Sonic Highways 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I heard it's that they're going to strip it down and make a really accessible arena rock album. Something true rock fans have been waiting a long time for. No bullsh*t, just some rock n roll.

• Locked thread