Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

IUG posted:

So I just listened through The Birds Of Satan, the side project of Taylor Hawkins. Has anyone else listened to it and has an opinion? I've only given it the one listen so far, so I don't really have my own opinion formed yet.

All I know is the band name sounds like a mistranslation of "Them Crooked Vultures".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
And honestly I think "less Nickelbacky" is a pretty succinct way to describe the difference between the In Your Honor / Echoes era and Wasting Light, even though I think they're not bad albums.

Also "Wheels" was more or less the last song they had released before WL came out, and that song was just about the most boring thing I'd ever heard.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That is a pretty sick use of clavinet right there.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Interesting song. I think it will play well live, especially the second half, but the production doesn't seem "big" enough for the feeling I'm picturing in my head. It still sounds exactly like a guy in front of an amp in a studio.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

rest his guts posted:

Dave Grohl is a cool human being and I appreciate his attitude and his contributions to the pop landscape but for some reason I can't get into 'the Foo' at all. As far as hits go, I kinda liked "Times Like These" but I think my approach to the band may be entirely wrong. I've been able to tap into bands that I was sorta on the fence about in the past by listening to albums, or sides of albums rather than individual hits. Assuming I am decently versed in all the stuff that's already received a ton of radio play, where do I start?

The Colour and the Shape and There Is Nothing Left To Lose are both pretty much essential listening for anyone interested in the band. Most of their biggest hits are there, supported by solid deep cuts. (As amazing as "Everlong" is on its own, it's even better in the context of the full album.) These albums represent the two sides of the band's golden age; Colour & the Shape is still a nearly all-Grohl effort, while Nothing Left To Lose adds an actual band. (Not that you can really tell just by listening.)

There are definitely many people who prefer the self-titled first album, but personally I find it a bit uneven -- or at least, not really an accurate representation of what the band is all about.

After those, feel free to check out Wasting Light, which takes the "surprisingly good later album" spot. It's not as critically unassailable as the above, but most people agree it's still pretty damned good, and lacks most of the various pitfalls of their albums from the 2000s. (Although honestly, I think all of their albums are pretty easy to like.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Sound City documentary soundtrack would be a good example along those lines too. It's masterminded by Grohl about as much as Sonic Highways, but plays with a more diverse range of sounds and styles due to the various different guest players involved.

• Locked thread