Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

_Leviathan_ posted:

Back and Forth was a great documentary. The part about William Goldsmith having to do 80-90 takes for songs, and then the band just taking off and doing it without him made me feel pretty bad for the guy. I can understand that Dave was releasing a major record, had a firm idea of the drums he wanted in his head, and knew he was the best guy to do them though. I think Goldsmith had some time issues too. As a drummer I can relate and can only imagine the blow to the ego.

I still love that the first Foo Fighters record is literally all Dave on every single side of the performance aside from one guitar overdub, recorded in a week in a studio down the street from his house. I still listen to the first two albums quite a bit, and they were a huge part of my teenage years. Dave Grohl was kind of my Ringo Starr.

That bummed me out too. William Goldsmith is a loving great drummer in Sunny Day Real Estate, but I can see how he didn't fit with the band.

Foo Fighters are probably my favorite "mainstream" modern rock band besides the Black Keys (who were better before they got big). Their performance at Lollapalooza 2011 was transcendent. I think Wasting Light might be their best album period (although TCatS is right up there). Just a solid band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just watched the Chicago episode and it was really loving cool, especially since I just moved out here. Love Steve Albini carrying Lil Bub around the studio, plus some great footage of Buddy Guy, who's my favorite bluesman.

Something From Nothing was decent but nothing special. Its combination of I Should've Known and Holy Diver is amusing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I guess nobody really cared all that much for the Nashville episode? I really don't care for country at all, classic or pop-crossover, but I'm pretty sure Florida-Georgia Line are one of the worst things I've ever heard.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Viper_3000 posted:

It's an interesting take on my city. Nashville IS a songwriters town, and very much an industry driven one. Country music is a machine that keeps growing and growing, and if you don't believe me take a spin around your radio dial.

I think what I found curious is that Nashville is also full of a literal poo poo Ton of extremely talented, legendary, session musicians. All of the big players lived here and worked here, and to be fair when Dylan came here to record Blonde on Blone with the Nashville Cats, literally everyone followed suit. Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, The Byrds, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Joan Baez, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Linda Ronstadt. Leon Russell, Steve Miller, Simon & Garfunkel, literally everyone who was anyone in the late 60s and 70s came here to work and record albums with our session players. I found it a bit weird that they completely glossed over that fact, and those people.

In a similar vein, I found it weird that they talked to Dan Auerbach but ignored the fact that he was not a Nashville musician and that he moved down there to be a part of that history. He said like two things and then he was in the montage of faces at the end as if he were an important part of Nashville's legend.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Basically this series is still dope and I'm much more interested in the history of the areas they chose to record in that the series shows in detail than some of the songs that came out of those sessions.
Yeah, especially because the songs aren't all that great or any different from a typical Foos song besides some poorly shoehorned references. I would love if there was second season. Maybe hit up Detroit, San Francisco, Boston, Atlanta, The Twin Cities, Philadelphia, Cleveland...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like he maybe spent a bit too long talking about jazz musicians that tons of people know about already and that it would've been cool to show other things happening in music in New Orleans, but at least at the beginning he included Big Freedia and Juvenile in the reel of musicians from New Orleans who have impacted music at large, which another filmmaker might not have even acknowledged.
Just watched it and wished he would've found a way to include sludge metal. I know he probably has a taste for stuff like that, but a scene full of misanthropic heroin addicts wouldn't have meshed well with the vibe that the episode was going for.

Maybe it's because I just saw Eyehategod again.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Re: Sonic Highways, I wrote about some places where I think they should go next and am curious what ideas you guys have should there be a season 2.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Craig Finn doing a hybrid of this show and Insomniac would be amazing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cheesus posted:

Is "dad rock" the same as "classic rock"? I always thought it was a slur for self-catalog-derivative music. Like an X band who might one have been good to great but is currently making music that sounds like an X cover band who has only ever listened to X.

I wouldn't diss classic rock from my glass house of Bowie. :D

Dad rock is often just a derogatory way of referring to classic rock, but it should refer to what you're talking about. Bachman-Turner Overdrive is dad rock. Led Zeppelin are classic rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Isn't that what they already did with Wasting Light?

Isn't that what they already did with most of their discography?

• Locked thread