Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IUG posted:

I am also a huge fan, and Colour And The Shape was the first CD I bought. (I also have that artwork tattooed on my shoulder.) I'm glad someone made a topic for this, as I made the one for the previous album, which has obviously fallen into the archives.

Everlong is one of the best songs ever recorded, from any era and in any genre. I will fight anybody who disagrees with this at all.

I mean, the band has spent the last 17 years (yes you read that number correctly) trying to match that album, so maybe it's kind of a double-edged sword? They've had a lot of great singles and Wasting Light is a really good album overall, but The Colour and The Shape is on a whole other level.

Also, anybody reading this thread who hasn't seen "Back and Forth" yet should try and track it down, as it apparently isn't on Netflix anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AYC posted:

One by One: All My Life

For me it's "Times Like These" which I would also say is one of their best tracks period.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aw man, they played a secret show here in New Orleans last night and I didn't get to go. It was a private event and only VIPs (Win and Regine from Arcade Fire who are still here after performing at Jazz Fest like 2 weeks ago were in attendance) got in, but so many people stood outside and listened that the street was shut down. They had rented out Preservation Hall for a week and used it as a temporary studio. Butch Vig was here too and they recorded one song for the new album here. And they ended their week here with the secret show last night, where they were joined by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, and for the last song (This Is A Call), Trombone Shorty came up and joined them for that one after already playing Hangout Fest and a gala in New Orleans that same day.

Read a bit more here.

I was actually in the French Quarter that night while on a trip to New Orleans, but my family were all fighting with each other and I was like "gently caress it I'm going back to the hotel" so I missed that show. We would have walked right past it, too.

Knowing I would have just stood in the street unable to see anything takes some of the sting out, but still.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

gently caress yes, Steve Albini.

Also did I just loving see Dave Grohl sitting down with the president of the US?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Those new song clips sound so good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I can't shake the fact that the main riff really sounds like the first half of the famous "Holy Diver" riff, but otherwise it's a pretty solid track. It hasn't immediately grabbed me like "I Should've Known" or "White Limo" off Wasting Light, but I'll give it a few listens

I actually think it sounds a lot like "I Should've Known" but I still like it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_2oR97KQBc

#2 is by far the best.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fenrir posted:

Eh, mine are Hey, Johnny Park! and New Way Home, so maybe we're in the same boat. Learn To Fly is the closest 3rd I can think of.

X-static and For All The Cows come goddamn close to that, though.

Anybody who gives you poo poo for loving Hey, Johnny Park! is a fool and scoundrel. It's definitely in my top five.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ruddiger posted:

Just watched the first episode of the episode show and drat if they're not going to have a hard time topping that. Naked Raygun. Albini. Cheap Trick. loving blues history with Buddy Guy and Muddy Waters. I want a show a about the history of just music in Chicago. For a place so racially/economically segregated, the sounds that have come out of that city have been nothing short of magic and Grohl and co. captured that perfectly in the first episode.

Somebody needs to make a documentary just about Steve Albini. I mean, when I first heard Big Black I was like :psypop: in a good way, but hearing him talk about the studio and the tantalizing tidbits about poker were super interesting.

Also I learned that I don't respect Cheap Trick nearly as much as I should.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fateo McMurray posted:

Do something like this in Boston, assholes. Do it at Middle East Down or something.

It seems like they're gonna do it in each city they shot an episode in on the night the episode airs.

I mean, that's a patter from 2 points, but still.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fateo McMurray posted:

And of course they didn't do anything in Boston. We have nice punk roots. Come here and talk about The Rat and write a punk song about gently caress the Yankees.

Yet another objective statement that Boston sucks :smug:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think The Feast and The Famine blows Something From Nothing out of the water.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 25, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

kidcoelacanth posted:

Man I gotta say, watching the Sonic Highways episodes gives me such a better understanding and appreciation for these songs. I don't think I'm going to be able to dislike anything on the album just because of knowing the story behind it all.

Yeah, I liked The Feat and The Famine a lot on its own, but after that episode, :drat:

Also, I hope the LA episode is pretty much just Pat Smear reminiscing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I really like the studio version of Outside, and I Am A River is interesting. The intro for it is really amazing. EDIT: The ending too.

TMMadman posted:

And I must be weird because I like to have the physical tickets mailed to me.

I'm the same way, I pin them to my wall.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 9, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Fenway with Mission of Burma is :aaaaa:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think they also didn't have enough time to really go outside of their box in each location. They were only there for what, a week? That's almost no time to record even if you're not writing as you go.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Just got time off on Friday to go stand in line for tickets to the NYC show.

Also, I didn't sign up for the mailing list, can somebody give me the pre-sale password? I want to see if I can still get anything for Citi Field.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
All the NYC tickets were gone by 2PM, an hour before the lineup was supposed to start and three before they were supposed to go on sale. :waycool:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I like some of their big hits and Dave Grohl but I too just can't get into the band either because as mentioned above, its just radio rock and its kind of boring to me.

Honestly, I consider myself a fan of the band for sure, but The Colour and the Shape and maybe Wasting Light are the only albums I put and play all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I hope they actually take Nick Lachey on tour with them.

(Also I need to actually go see the Foo live already.)

• Locked thread