Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
First of all, let me say that I have nothing but respect for workers in the service industry, having done that line of work for a number of years. I know it's not an easy job working with the public, but the experience I had in Starbucks was just too cringe-worthy.

I'm waiting in line, looking over the pastry shelf at the breakfast sandwiches. One of the workers suddenly materializes in front of me, slings his arm over the top of the glass and gives me a huge grin. "See anything good?" He asks cheerfully.

I'm all for morning cheerfulness and all, but this guy's grin just doesn't seem right. I return the smile anyway. "Uh, yeah. May I have the slow roasted ham and Swiss?"

He widened his eyes and declared, "Those are delicious, aren't they?" As he hurried off to fill my order, I walked over to the cashier. She too gives me an excited greeting. "What can I get for you today?" She asks in this really perky, musical voice.

"The slow roasted ham and Swiss." I said.

"Fo-shizzle, my nizzle." NO. I'm not making this up. She actually says this, and with conviction, mind you. I know I must have made a face, because I could feel some internal muscles lock up as they were trying to keep me from busting out laughing in her face.

What I found most embarrassing was not the fact that 'fo-shizzle my nizzle' actually means 'for sure, my niggah,' and the person saying it was not black and I am; it's the fact that no one has actually said it in several years. And even when it was new only Snoop Dogg and possibly twelve other rappers could get away with saying it.

As strange as I found these encounters, they're barely worth mentioning if not for the disturbing trend I'm noticing in the retail industry--customer service workers as overly friendly and overly helpful sycophants. It seems like big companies are no longer satisfied with hiring reliable, hard working people. They want personalities that embody their brand, who can at least put on the performance of friendliness. I'm sure some people suck up that kind of rear end kissing, but I find it rather creepy. From now on I'll be sticking to my mom 'n pop coffee shop with its salty proprietor and its terrible Mumford 'n Sons on infinite loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

BubbleGoose posted:

First of all, let me say that I have nothing but respect for workers in the service industry

than you have already failed it

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i just pooped and i'd give it an 8/10, p satisfying

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
If you want a similar experience with people who hate their jobs a lot more than Starbucks employees, try Barnes & Noble's Cafe. Same coffee, same work, less pay, less fucks given. Win/Win for you.

(It's not a Starbucks, don't try to use your Starbucks Gift Card.)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i worked at a barnes and noble cafe that served starbucks coffee, and two of my coworkers from then are dead

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
if you get coffee every day one of these would be cheaper overall:

http://www.amazon.com/La-Pavoni-PC-16-Professional-Espresso/dp/B00004S9GH/

it would also make much better coffee than starbucks once you get good at using it

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I rarely leave the house so any level of human interaction is p weird, especially from people who get paid minimum wage and are probably hounded to act that way because somebody in Seattle decided it would increase sales

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Behold th face and cheery voice of capitalism framed in a green apron, op. None of this is new and those ppl are just trying to get through the day & get paid, racial dorkiness aside

have a good one

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jokes on you op for going to starbucks

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
i just get free coffee from work op have u tried that

guppiehaus
Sep 13, 2010
I went to get coffee once and started talking to one of the starbucks workers while i waited. Tall dude w a beard. Well i mentioned how i used to work in the food business too and how it changes your outlook on servoce workers / tipping well. He agreed and then started telling me how poo poo the pay was at starbucks and that tips really make a difference even. I said yeah definitely and then he kind of stared at me in this weird way. I grabbed my coffee and walked out.

Im not paying 4$ every time i want a cup of coffee. Im already spending too much as it is on my bean water

Sorry guy

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

when walmart first came to germany they tried to force their employees to smile all the time. both the employees and the customers hated it so the policy was scrapped.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
hi, im not familiar with you are you a good poster?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

good posting is a myth

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Haam posted:

hi, im not familiar with you are you a good poster?

Taffer posted:

good posting is a myth

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
shitposting, however, is legend

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
If you doubt that fast food joints (eg Starbucks) have traditionally required employees to be cheerful then I refer you to the relevant scene in the 1993 film "falling down" about a cog in America's military industrial machine who at 40 struggles with the concept that social class is a thing

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

quakster posted:

my posts arent poo poo they just smell like my demented grandmother

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

quakster posted:

no thread is safe

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Buncha twats thinkin' latte art is an actual skill that people care about.

Oh well, they're just working as a barista until they can get an upgrade to a career in the...... BOOKSTORE!

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Anytime someone prefaces any statement with "I'm sorry but-" I immediately decide they have nothing to say. Good luck with your posting in the future OP.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phrasing posted:

Anytime someone prefaces any statement with "I'm sorry but-" I immediately decide they have nothing to say. Good luck with your posting in the future OP.
pretty sure everything anyone says is prefaced by an implied "i'm sorry". you must be a hit at the parties. anime is bad. did you know that they called the third xbox the xbox one

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Source your quotes.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
When a clerk has too much pep and perkiness like that I roll up my money into a ball and pay by throwing it at them

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

You should come to Austria then. Everyone in the service sector acts extremely forced at best, and not friendly at all at worst.

And it says something that the service lady in a pizza hut in florida is nicer than literally 99% of all asshats in Austria.

PS: Florida has the best and nicest service I've ever seen. I'd totally live there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mookface posted:

When a clerk has too much pep and perkiness like that I roll up my money into a ball and pay by throwing it at them

same but using coins

Silver Gadget
Apr 17, 2006

you were just in a pissy mood because you didnt have your coffee yet.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

You should come to Austria then. Everyone in the service sector acts extremely forced at best, and not friendly at all at worst.

And it says something that the service lady in a pizza hut in florida is nicer than literally 99% of all asshats in Austria.

PS: Florida has the best and nicest service I've ever seen. I'd totally live there.

"Wow, that McDonald's worker was super friendly! I'm so glad I moved to Florida."

*gets shot and killed for his McMuffin*

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Would you like your change sir?

No, you need it more than I do

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Modern Day Hercules posted:

"Wow, that McDonald's worker was super friendly! I'm so glad I moved to Florida."

natural selection is cruel but just

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
from what blog or facebook page did you derive this?

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Aren't we all a little bit weird op

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

i was at a starbucks in san francisco and the really effeminate barista gave a rly gay laugh after i ordered my peppermint mocha and i freaked ouit cuz i thought he wanted to gently caress me in the rear end.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
buying coffee from starbucks is probably one of the worst investments you can make

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Starbucks employees are almost always cheerful, and I always assumed that the constant access to lots of coffee played a part in that.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

because people don't get shot in other states

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blast of Confetti posted:

buying coffee from starbucks is probably one of the worst investments you can make

How is buying coffee ever an investment unless you're buying it in large quantities to break down into smaller units and sell it for profit

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I don't like overly enthusiastic service employees because I always assume that they're making fun of me

open container
Sep 16, 2008
Starbucks workers get decent pay and health insurance for doing a bullshit job. They're like the 1% of entry level fuckups. Of course they're happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
When I worked at Starbucks i would regularly do cocaine in the back. Hope that clears up your confusion, OP.

• Locked thread