Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Is the plex pass worthwhile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

It depends on if you want the features it provides. Overall I would say yes but not knowing anything you are trying to do is pretty impossible to make a recommendation. Plex has a weird thing where paid Plexpass memebers get access to early things to beta-test, and then things get released to the unpaid masses.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Malmanous posted:

I did this exact thing two weeks ago and I love it. It works perfectly with no stutters on any of my movies.

Ordered one, THIS BETTER BE GREAT OR ELSE :argh:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Maneki Neko posted:

Ordered one, THIS BETTER BE GREAT OR ELSE :argh:

What are the specs of your Plex server?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

kri kri posted:

It depends on if you want the features it provides. Overall I would say yes but not knowing anything you are trying to do is pretty impossible to make a recommendation. Plex has a weird thing where paid Plexpass memebers get access to early things to beta-test, and then things get released to the unpaid masses.

Generally I'd be streaming to my own house and no internet steaming, mainly to a few handheld devices, google chromecast, and WDTV/Patriot Box Office/PS3. No interest in the picture sharing app.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

teagone posted:

What are the specs of your Plex server?

i7-3770, 8gb ram, ssd for os and mirrored WD red drives for media. Probably the biggest bottleneck is my MoCA run between the living room and office, but that's a pretty reliable 100mbps.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Generally I'd be streaming to my own house and no internet steaming, mainly to a few handheld devices, google chromecast, and WDTV/Patriot Box Office/PS3. No interest in the picture sharing app.

I would use the free version unless you want early access to stuff.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I paid for Plexpass during the few months I was flying a lot last winter. The iOS syncing for offline playback was nice, but buggy at times.

I considered the lifetime pass, but the rumors that offline syncing will eventually require a separate additional purchase soured me on that idea.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

i7-3770, 8gb ram, ssd for os and mirrored WD red drives for media. Probably the biggest bottleneck is my MoCA run between the living room and office, but that's a pretty reliable 100mbps.

Yeah, a Fire TV running the Plex App will be pretty great then :). Not sure where it is in the settings, but be sure to set the Plex App on your Fire TV to always try and Direct Play with transcode as a fallback.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

Probably not, the only great thing it offers is cloud playback (files from Google Drive, Dropbox...) or offline syncing. If you are willing to leave a server running constantly it will stream outside of the house very well and even do all of the network tunneling.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Stick100 posted:

Probably not, the only great thing it offers is cloud playback (files from Google Drive, Dropbox...) or offline syncing. If you are willing to leave a server running constantly it will stream outside of the house very well and even do all of the network tunneling.

Yah, I just cancelled my plex pass actually. Outside of the one trip I didn't have reliable wifi and used the offline syncing function, I never used the pass for anything. You'll get a LOT of mileage out of the free version!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah I feel like after my year sub lapses it will probably be time for mediabrowser to mature and I can move to that.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

teagone posted:

Yeah, a Fire TV running the Plex App will be pretty great then :). Not sure where it is in the settings, but be sure to set the Plex App on your Fire TV to always try and Direct Play with transcode as a fallback.

Looks like that is pretty much the default settings. I did get bit by the "lol plex on fire tv doesn't decode dts/dolby digital" bug, so pretty much all audio has to get transcoded, we'll see how annoying that gets.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Looks like that is pretty much the default settings. I did get bit by the "lol plex on fire tv doesn't decode dts/dolby digital" bug, so pretty much all audio has to get transcoded, we'll see how annoying that gets.

Huh, its just a bug though right? The Fire TV should be more capable of decoding DTS/Dolby D. The Roku 3 is able to, but its Plex app is hot garbage in comparison.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

teagone posted:

Huh, its just a bug though right? The Fire TV should be more capable of decoding DTS/Dolby D. The Roku 3 is able to, but its Plex app is hot garbage in comparison.

It's a known bug, but there's been no talk of a timeframe for a possible fix. Of the non PC devices, Fire TV probably has best plex app, but holy poo poo every other app on that platform is bad (even manages to have a bad Netflix app).

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

teagone posted:

It's not a bug - it's a feature. You can see the supported Fire TV codecs here. DTS requires a licensing fee (presumably per unit) so Amazon saves money by not supporting it and since it's not marketed as a local playback box they don't have much to gain by having that added cost, they would prefer you buy your content from them.

The solution is to install XBMC which comes with its own codec library and does support DTS (and a bunch of other codecs the Fire TV doesn't) and use the PleXBMC add-on for local content. I had a number of playback issues with the Plex app that was solved by switching over to XBMC.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Man the Plex app on Roku really sucks. My girlfriend has a Roku 3, we installed the Plex app and threw in my server info. I only have a 2mbit upstream at home but she watches stuff via Plex on her tablet with no issues and fast loads (2-3 seconds). The Roku plex app is hot garbage, laid out like poo poo and videos take 1-2 minutes to load. I tried giving it the lower profiles even but same story. When the video does start it will randomly skip around after awhile too. Transcoding shouldn't be an issue because my server is pretty powerful, is it buffering half of the damned file before it starts or something?

At this point I'm ready to return this thing and get a FireTV but I'm worried I'll have the same issue there. Where should I start on troubleshooting? Her tablet plays stuff from my server with no issue, very fast loads and no buffering.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Plex on FireTV has issues also.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I did notice this weekend that if you use the screen size adjustment settings on the FireTV to scale to your display, Plex is retarded and won't display full screen.

So if anyone else has this problem, that's the fix! There's overscan adjustment settings in the FireTV Plex settings menu, but apparently they literally do nothing. :confused:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Man the Plex app on Roku really sucks. My girlfriend has a Roku 3, we installed the Plex app and threw in my server info. I only have a 2mbit upstream at home but she watches stuff via Plex on her tablet with no issues and fast loads (2-3 seconds). The Roku plex app is hot garbage, laid out like poo poo and videos take 1-2 minutes to load. I tried giving it the lower profiles even but same story. When the video does start it will randomly skip around after awhile too. Transcoding shouldn't be an issue because my server is pretty powerful, is it buffering half of the damned file before it starts or something?

At this point I'm ready to return this thing and get a FireTV but I'm worried I'll have the same issue there. Where should I start on troubleshooting? Her tablet plays stuff from my server with no issue, very fast loads and no buffering.

As much as I like to poo poo on the Roku Plex Channel UI, I find it's actually pretty great for quality playback, local or remote. How low of a bitrate did you set it to on your GF's Roku? You should start from the lowest and work your way up. For reference, my upload is 5Mbps and one of my friends is able to stream stuff at 480p, sometimes at 720p if my internet isn't under load.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 16, 2014

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm not technically inclined so I can't help you. But I can say that I have not had your issues with my Roku 3 and Plex setup. It plays just about everything and loads in a couple seconds. I don't think I changed any settings anywhere as I am new to all this. I don't even know what transcoding is. So your issue should be fixable unless you got a lemon.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

The Gunslinger posted:

This should really be in the OP. It fixes a ton of issues and ads some nice improvements. It might help your issue.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/79897-rarflix-modified-roku-channel/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I'm not technically inclined so I can't help you. But I can say that I have not had your issues with my Roku 3 and Plex setup. It plays just about everything and loads in a couple seconds. I don't think I changed any settings anywhere as I am new to all this. I don't even know what transcoding is. So your issue should be fixable unless you got a lemon.

From what I understand, he's trying to access his Plex server remotely at another location (his girlfriend's place). There's more variables involved, such as internet speed on both ends, server specifications, and some other stuff that I'm probably not aware of that would be causing remote playback to have issues.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

From what I understand, he's trying to access his Plex server remotely at another location (his girlfriend's place). There's more variables involved, such as internet speed on both ends, server specifications, and some other stuff that I'm probably not aware of that would be causing remote playback to have issues.

Yep exactly. The server is an i3 with plenty of power and my connection is only 2mbit upstream but it works just fine with her Nexus 10 tablet using the Plex app. The Roku app takes forever (as long as 3-4 minutes) to even load a video. I'm going to try rarflix instead (thanks cheese). I just don't understand why it streams fine to her tablet in perfect quality with 1-2 second initial loads but is barely usable on her Roku. Oh well I will mess with the settings and logs next time I'm over, I was just hoping someone else had attempted to share their Plex server with friends or family who had a Roku.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 17, 2014

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I tried the plex app on my android phone plus Chromecast and it kept freezing up. Should it keep playing even if my phone goes to sleep?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I think there should be a link to the Unsupported Appstore in the OP. I didn't see any mention of it in any of these pages but I couldn't live without what it offers.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/25523-unsupported-as-in-totally-unofficial-appstore/

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Are there any news updates in regards to Apple TV opening up as a platform where we'd get a native plex app without requiring a jailbroken apple TV or the plexConnect python script? I prefer to have an app instead of airplay from my phone, but browsing on the TV is a bit of a pain. It's all minor complaints, just wondering if there's a smoother way to browse without another device in the mix.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Unacknowledged posted:

Are there any news updates in regards to Apple TV opening up as a platform where we'd get a native plex app without requiring a jailbroken apple TV or the plexConnect python script? I prefer to have an app instead of airplay from my phone, but browsing on the TV is a bit of a pain. It's all minor complaints, just wondering if there's a smoother way to browse without another device in the mix.

The platform opening would be really nice but they didn't announce anything like that at the WWDC last week so it's not happening anytime soon. That being said, I've been using plexconnect for a couple of months now on an ATV3 and it's working great. If you're having trouble setting it up I can try to walk you through it in an IM or something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

The platform opening would be really nice but they didn't announce anything like that at the WWDC last week so it's not happening anytime soon. That being said, I've been using plexconnect for a couple of months now on an ATV3 and it's working great. If you're having trouble setting it up I can try to walk you through it in an IM or something.

Is that where you trick the native Trailers app into talking to your Plex server instead of talking to Apple?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

withak posted:

Is that where you trick the native Trailers app into talking to your Plex server instead of talking to Apple?
Yep.

GutBomb posted:

I see. I have a jailbroken ATV2 with the app installed, as I had some problems with plexconnect when I attempted it. I appreciate the offer for setting it up, but things are running smoothly otherwise for me. I was just hoping they would do something more with the platform finally, guess we'll have to wait a while still :(.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Newbie question: I'm streaming Plex onto my TV through a hardwired PS4 in the web browser. Would getting a chrome cast or roku stick stream higher bitrate HD to my TV?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Housh posted:

Newbie question: I'm streaming Plex onto my TV through a hardwired PS4 in the web browser. Would getting a chrome cast or roku stick stream higher bitrate HD to my TV?

It would almost certainly be easier, and I would think a bit rate boost is plausible.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

I use both and don't really notice a discernible difference between either.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

bagina posted:

I use both and don't really notice a discernible difference between either.

Do you use both PS4 and Chromecast? Accessing plex through the PS4 browser is slightly annoying but isn't terrible. However, I was wondering how much better it is with a chromecast despite the fact I lose my ability to plug in headphones unless you can plug them into the phone/tablet you are casting from to get audio.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'm having a plex related problem I'm hoping you guys can help with.

For the last year or so I've been using plex on my Roku LT. It's been fine for the most part but I've run into a problem I can't get fixed. We've moved and right now don't have an internet connection besides our phones and when we do get internet it probably won't be very reliable. The issue is that the newer updates of roku seem to always want internet access and if it doesn't it'll just drop off the wifi network and obviously plex won't work then. I've been able to get internet access for roku's initial login to get everything connected and plex will work fine but sometime after I shut off internet access (while still leaving the wireless network up of course) roku will drop the network and won't reconnect without establishing a connection to the internet.

So now I'm looking an alternate way of getting plex onto the tv without internet access (besides the initial setup). Wireless would be preferred but wired is also an option. I just can't run an HDMI cord from computer directly since loving windows can't play separate audio steams to different devices and I'd like to able to play a game with sound while my wife watches shows. Is Fire TV an option here? We'd both really like something with a remote.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CFox posted:

I'm having a plex related problem I'm hoping you guys can help with.

For the last year or so I've been using plex on my Roku LT. It's been fine for the most part but I've run into a problem I can't get fixed. We've moved and right now don't have an internet connection besides our phones and when we do get internet it probably won't be very reliable. The issue is that the newer updates of roku seem to always want internet access and if it doesn't it'll just drop off the wifi network and obviously plex won't work then. I've been able to get internet access for roku's initial login to get everything connected and plex will work fine but sometime after I shut off internet access (while still leaving the wireless network up of course) roku will drop the network and won't reconnect without establishing a connection to the internet.

So now I'm looking an alternate way of getting plex onto the tv without internet access (besides the initial setup). Wireless would be preferred but wired is also an option. I just can't run an HDMI cord from computer directly since loving windows can't play separate audio steams to different devices and I'd like to able to play a game with sound while my wife watches shows. Is Fire TV an option here? We'd both really like something with a remote.

You could sideload XBMC and the add-on PleXBMC on to the Fire TV. I know people at XDA have been blocking updates direct from Amazon's server with no real issue.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Housh posted:

Do you use both PS4 and Chromecast? Accessing plex through the PS4 browser is slightly annoying but isn't terrible. However, I was wondering how much better it is with a chromecast despite the fact I lose my ability to plug in headphones unless you can plug them into the phone/tablet you are casting from to get audio.

Can you not access Plex as a media server on a PS4 as you can on other consoles and devices? Do you really have to use a browser?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

chemosh6969 posted:

Can you not access Plex as a media server on a PS4 as you can on other consoles and devices? Do you really have to use a browser?

Nope, PS4 doesn't support DLNA.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, no DNLA on PS4 yet. I just picked up a Chromecast cause they are cheap and once PS4 gets DNLA I can use the Chromecast on my 2nd TV in the basement. So far it works great with Plex and Crunchyroll but the perplexing thing is I can't get it to play YouTube videos in HD using the official app. I guess that's a question for the Chromecast thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Housh posted:

To my knowledge, you can't get the audio from your mobile device while streaming, but the phone interface is really easy to use. Unless you are a subscriber, the plex ap is five bucks.

The only reason I use the PS4 interface is when I can't stream a channel via the phone. Some PBS shows and most NBC shows will let you watch from your phone but not stream them to the tv. Running through the PS4 browser gets around that problem. Unfortunately the browser method makes the font so tiny that it's hard to read from the other side of the room.