Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Has anyone had issues with Plex no longer being remotely accessible (when not at home)? This happened to me for like a week and now magically fixed itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Fix your naming structure as per Plex's own naming conventions. Google Plex naming TV shows and you'll see their page on this. Folder name rules are:

Show name->show name- season number->episodes of that season.

Having a download folder in the middle is the problem, because it is looking for a folder with a season name and not finding it.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 7, 2014

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
If you need bandwidth to handle connections between floors of a residence get a powerline Ethernet package (google powerline ethernet) for full Ethernet speeds with no signal degradation via using the power line.

:science:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Unacknowledged posted:

Well I thought it was the Roku before I went there last night. Playing locally was spotty as hell too, but my chromecast and phone had no problems playing from their server, so I still am suspecting the roku being the culprit.

I don't doubt blaming a roku 1,but I'd also make sure you have enough upload bandwidth as well.

Roku 1 has less horsepower than 2 which is equal with the stick and is less than roku 3, so hardware wise a 1080p stream (if it is) may be hard on a roku 1. Hell, I see significant stuttering on a chromecast with 720p so caveat emptor.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yes, you can cast to chromecast from the plex app directly.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

jadeddrifter posted:

ahh. load up a virtual machine and put PIA on the VM and do anything you want protected on the VM. Then plex runs on your main box and is unaffected by PIA

please, :filez: folks, do not ignore this. for a million reasons having a VM accidentally infected is a mostly non issue vs your main machine. especially with PIA.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Plex does have a naming convention guide so that your shows are recognized in their forms. always check that if something on your pc isn't at least showing up in plex.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

trilljester posted:

That's why I bought a Roku 3. The kids and wife can control it easily. Plus, it's really awesome with Plex.

Have to agree, and I got a Roku TV (the TCL one). Handles maximum quality (20mb/s) 1080p streams via plex which look great, too.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

EconOutlines posted:

How much of the content/channels do you pay for? I see that it has a ton of options, so I'm curious as to what people are actually paying for and using.

None.

All of that poo poo is garbage and the things that want money are hilariously lovely garbage.

I find myself using the TV(and by definition Roku) for 4 things:
plex, netflix, amazon and my chromecast.

teagone posted:

You should be able to direct play content from your Plex server without the need for transcoding on your Roku TV. Is it connected via WiFi or Ethernet?

Wifi, actually. I transcoded because I thought it'd save bandwidth?

fatpat268 posted:

Man, the Roku 3 I bought, really can't handle anything over 10mb 1080 streams. Some work fine, but some others will start introducing major artifacts. This is consistent with several 1080p files and among all my roku 3s. Backing down the quality to 8mb in the plex app usually fixes it.

This is a wired connection too.

Yeah, Roku TV is clearly using some pretty good hardware, they are not messing around. That said, I can't really tell the difference between 10mb and 20mb and I also just recently built this PC, so we're talking serious capability (i5 4690k and 16 gigs of ram). I don't even have the old MKV streaming issues I used to have with it.

It might not be your Roku which is giving you difficulty, as many people have said.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 26, 2015

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Any way to force the Plex pass sync to pickup subtitles? It seems really hit or miss about getting them.

There is a specific naming scheme for them. Are all of yours named accordingly?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200471133-Adding-Local-Subtitles-to-Your-Media

Example: movie.en.srt for english subs, etc.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

suddenlyissoon posted:

I actually got in to the legal section of smart hub menu in my hu8550 and found 4 or 5 sections in which you could disagree or opt-out of advertisements. Still, the fact that it exists on a 2500 TV pisses me off.

That is completely lawsuit material. Maybe this is why politicians are investigating already.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

suddenlyissoon posted:

Sadly, it's the only option if you want 4K content.

This is incorrect. There is no option that involves 4K content, because most 4K content is going to be requiring HDCP 2 (think how bad ultraviolet and bluray DRM was and now remember they want to do that with 4K aka terrible copy protection) and every tv that exists is basically not compatible.

So there is only one option for 4k content: 4k monitors. 4K tv's? gently caress no.

Article from July 2014 that is still accurate: http://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/ Even crutchfield is showing how this is completely loving stupid. Thus, if you want 4K? Enjoy! http://www.crutchfield.com/S-F919Z2GGw6m/learn/what-you-need-to-know-about-hdcp-2-2.html

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

This. Smart Tvs are almost always worse than the dongles and boxes.

My TCL Roku tv does an amazing job actually. It's just most brands do a poo poo job.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

kri kri posted:

Emby (mb3) does this. Speaking of, Emby is getting really close to having parity with the plex ecosystem. I like the server a lot more, and the clients are starting to catch up from what I can tell. Will definitely be interesting next 6-12 months.

There have been tons of media server apps across years and years. I don't suspect any, including plex, are going to do anything groundbreaking. Plex has more resources via $$ so they do more. It's not like they are better or worse.

Emby looks identical to plex in functionality and how it represents that functionality. what are you saying is "different /better" about the server?

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 12, 2015

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Actually, go to plex settings on the server and make it connect again. That will likely fix it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Cornjob posted:

I just installed Emby and used it to download art and .nfo files. now the art and info is right there in the same folders as the movies. I set the Scanner to "plex video files scanner" and the Agent to "personal media", then i forced a refresh. still nothing.

I tried it on Kodi, and kodi uses the local jpg and nfo files perfectly.
Change the agent order in plex. Or have you tried that?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

kri kri posted:

They had all sorts of weird spam issues on their forums, surprised this took so long.

Reddit posters basically say plex forum security is garbage, in addition to near total lack of moderation.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
If poo poo isn't identified correctly or missing,
change the order of agents to identify them and then refresh your library.

Problem will mostly fix itself from this.

Once it had been misidentified, it doesn't get checked again (same hierarchy /same reason). This is because of "local media assets"
see Plex support url: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201035758-Set-the-Agent-Order

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 10, 2016

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I had a library that constantly poo poo itself regarding a single video file. It'd continually re-assign other videos to be a part of that single video. So video mvi_3251 would be associated with video 3651, etc etc. Even splitting the video wouldn't fix it - they'd both be assigned the same name. I had to recreate the library.

Is there any sort of cause for this issue?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Khablam posted:

Gonna say no to most, if not all 1080 content on that one.
You're at about second-gen netbook spec on one of those chips, and that's before you peg the chip and it throttles.

I recall people discussing streaming with a pi 2, but I don't recall if that included transcoding as a plex *server*.

They did upgrade the graphics capability.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 1, 2016

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Atomizer posted:

The thing is he doesn't like his Chromecast or want to use any other devices, and he doesn't want to let Plex automatically transcode for no good reason. I agree with the suggestions and recommendations, he just seems to want to go in a different direction and not use the features that Plex offers.

What do you guys think about what I asked regarding transcoding? Before I get started mass-transcoding DVDs, are there any recommendations, any things I need to remember to do or not to do? Like I said, I was going for HEVC and source audio, and I know the server will have to transcode particularly to all the mobile devices that can't natively decode HEVC.

My server came today, although I won't have time to do anything with it until at least tomorrow if not later.

Sup plex buddy. Just use handbrake to copy everything onto plex as you're doing already and skip the audio unless necessary. Do not forget to follow their naming conventions, which are pretty straightforward. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200028098-Media-Preparation

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
there is a setting for local metadata. You hosed it up by continuing to not set it to default. Not a plex problem, sadly. also vvvv.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220717-Local-Media-Assets-TV-Shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Plex supports a lot more devices, including some relatively closed ecosystems like PlayStations. It's also an okay music manager. I wouldn't mind having a lifetime pass if they matured the DVR and maybe showed some leadership in bundling in alternatives to TVDB. Give me a TVMaze agent and live TV and I'm there.

I wonder if you can have plex use any agent you want. I know you can reconfigure the order of agents being used, though.