Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Stoked for this thread. I have been using Plex for years on a Macbook Pro with a busted screen.

Plex keeps getting better and better. Now instead of using a logitech remote to control it, I cast from my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

porktree posted:

edit: Turned on debug logs and got the message ""message": "Unknown is unavailable at [url]http://[/url]<remoteip>:32400/ (Status 406)","
You've probably already tried this but...

1. Update server and all clients to latest.
2. Configure server to login to your Plex account
3. Visit http://plex.tv/web and see if you get an interface.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

What about using a subtitle downloader external to Plex?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

MycroftXXX posted:

Do you need to update the plex server to do playlists?

Yes, in my case checking for updates indicated that I had the latest so I had to download the real latest from the website.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Not to be a dick, because I realize Plex isn't truly free, but is there a way I can give Plex the money for Xbox Live instead of Microsoft? It's a software that doesn't really require Microsoft to keep the Live network up and running.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I've used Plex for years and it's always been really automatic, but I'm having problems playing most media now. It looks like it's trying to direct stream everything to web players or chromecasts. If I play to a Plex Home Theater on one of my Macs it plays most everything fine.

I've unchecked the boxes on the web player options to Direct Play and Direct Stream and tried experimental player off or on but it's all pretty much poo poo. My server is running the latest Plex Pass version on a Mac laptop that has no problems playing the same files locally on Plex Home Theater. Neither host or player computers have firewalls enabled. The only oddity is that my home network doesn't have NAT loopback enabled because it's not an option that I can tell. But this isn't something that has changed since this all basically stopped working.

Is there a reliable way I can force my server to transcode?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Medullah posted:

Is there any way for Plex to deal with movies that are split into multiple files? I have a bunch of movies that are split into 700mb chunks - Plex sees them but starts playing a random one. I'm assuming there's no setting to make that work without combining the videos?

It depends how the files are named. I just checked, and it didn't work for a case where files were named:
  • some-show-part-one-encoding.mkv
  • some-show-part-two-encoding.mkv

But if I renamed them as follows, it worked:
  • some-show-encoding-pt1.mkv
  • some-show-encoding-pt2.mkv

When I renamed the files in the 2nd example, the show page indicated the full time (2:05) but the timecode in the web player indicated it was only 1:02 long. But it automatically transitioned to playing the second half after a brief 6 second gap while it started encoding the second file.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Did a drive path change?

Have you tried:
  • Empty trash
  • Clean bundles
  • Update library

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

notwithoutmyanus posted:

That is completely lawsuit material. Maybe this is why politicians are investigating already.

On what grounds?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

teagone posted:

If anyone is looking for a new Plex server, the TS140 is $200 on Newegg atm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G2MR4700&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSRNCFWKPJWX-_-9SIA24G2MR4700-_-Product Just need to add hard drives and OS.

I've never used Plex for music since I stream everything now, but have you tried creating a Music Library on your Plex server and adding your media there? I'm not sure if that would only playback/transcode the audio though.

How well does that work adding hard drives to a 280W fixed machine? How many are people reporting they can run?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Watching a show tonight, Plex stopped and threw up a warning that I needed to be logged into Xbox Live. I couldn't figure out a way back in to resume watching a show from my local network until Xbox Live came back up.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I'm not the least OCD about my files or metadata and I have almost no issues.

My only suggestion is to keep TV and movies in separate base folders, and in most cases sporting events go in with movies unless they are an episodic show.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I'm curious (legitimately) what everyone is downloading/watching that Plex can't find matches. I get all kinds of odd filenames and everything matches out of the box, except for the occasional lesser known, or hot of the presses sporting event.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

teagone posted:

For me it's mainly special interest content like concerts, workout stuff, and firearm training videos.

Start submitting feature requests to better support the hearing impaired (me too).

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I think worse case it just wouldn't do server auto-discovery by logging into your account. You could still forward ports and reach the server directly by IP, which I think all of the clients I've used support.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

While we're on the topic of optimal client setups for Plex, is the Nexus Player capable of doing native streaming?

I currently play most files through an old Macbook with a Logitech remote, and it's nice that RWD and FF are pretty instantaneous on files that aren't transcoded. But for transcoded files on my Chromecast, it takes 5-10 seconds for any jumping to happen and playback to resume. It's generally not worth the wait if I missed something, and it's hard to tell where I'm skipping ahead so we generally just don't skip.

My server (and client) is an old Macbook Pro pre 2012 so it doesn't have the oompf to do super high def stuff. Is FF and RWD when transcoding a better experience with a i5 or better processor?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Lordy posted:

I just wish Plex had a good plugin system like Emby or Kodi.

What is the scoop on that? They've had plugins for a long time, with an interface to browse/add/use them. But most of them don't work.

MLB.tv works great on my oldish smart TV that hasn't seen a software upgrade in 2 years, yet the only plugins I can get to work consistently are Comedy Central and PBS, and the latter has had long outages.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Aren't you an adult now?

Try creating your own wi-fi network, or using a VPN like Pertino.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I've been running Plex server and Plex Home Theater from an old 2010-2011 era Mackbook Pro with a busted screen for a few years and it makes a great server.

Occasionally with really big files it doesn't like transcoding to Chromecast due to lack of horsepower, but I can usually direct stream to Plex Home Theater on my real laptop just fine so it's still holding up.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I'm trying to work out the best way to play files natively to reduce buffering gaps when rewinding or fast forwarding.

My primary player is Plex Home Theater on a Macbook pro which also serves as my server and has SMB mounts to a file server, so the files are basically local. Using a remote or my phone I can skip ahead or go back instantly. On Chromecast, web, phone players there is a 5-10 second pause anytime I rewind or FF, which often is not worth it when just going back to catch a word I missed or to instant replay something funny.

I don't expect the Macbook Pro to last much longer and might eventually have to move the server to a Windows/Linux server in a closet far away from the TV. Is there a way to make FF and RWD more responsive on other players? 2-3 seconds would probably work pretty well for most of my viewing.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Not That Into You posted:

Running into a weird issue with my server (plexpass latest, running on mac):

It is no longer saving my watched history/watched progress. I don't think it is a permissions issue, because I can manually change the watched/unwatched flag, but it doesn't happen automatically. A minor issue, but pretty frustrating.

When this happened to me (also on Mac) I had to uninstall/reinstall and then go through and mark things watched for any shows about which I might get confused.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Irritated Goat posted:

Talk of raid always reminds me of a quote "Raid 0 is exactly how much data you'll get back if a drive dies"

idgi I will get all of my data back because I had it properly backed up.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

The record collection model is pretty cool, but it sucks for exploring new music.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I recently found out my Plex server was severely underpowered. If I make one of my modern laptops a server, everything plays fine regardless of wireless, powerline, or gig ethernet.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

What is the best plex server hardware platform that doesn't require a whole PC? I'm done running servers at home, but am good with any power conscious dedicated box that will occasionally create optimized files, but mostly stream to Chromecast.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Annual Prophet posted:

any trip reports on plex cloud? hadn't seen that before and ran across it as an option doing a bit of server research this afternoon

None, everyone ended up in jail before they could post.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

TheScott2K posted:

Please post the details...

emoji posted:

Probably from the cloud using a machine id.

lol don't expect much help here

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I just watched a show heavily associated with a product, and immediately started seeing ads for the product on my social. The product isn't named anywhere in the show meta data, however it's a pretty clear campaign to associate with this episode of the show.

How do I turn this off?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Craptacular! posted:

Correlation != Causation

EDIT: To be more specific, some products have large marketing budgets and it's possible the people behind the product, knowing they would be featured on a TV show people watch, purchased more online ads than usual. Like I can't avoid an ad for Coca-Cola simply because my interests skew into markets they heavily advertise in, and I don't know what game show replaced The Apprentice as product placement central but it used to be that products featured on that show would do a heavy ad buy around the time their episode was scheduled to air.

However, "how do I turn this off" implies you think Plex is selling viewership telemetry to marketers, and that's bullshit.

I get all of that, and I wasn't trying to imply any intentional selling of data. I was more interested in how to block anything that might be picked up via my browser.

It was especially weird because it showed up in a place where I normally get highly targeted ads for software and things I've searched for or from industries I work with. But this was a fairly specific product, that had nothing to do with anything I look for. The only demographics that match are age, gender, and income (which I admit are generally the most important demographics for ads). It was just striking how it took the place of much more targeted ads, so I assumed it was based on the show.

I will see if this happens with other shows.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I'd like to move off a laptop I've been using as a Plex server.

1) Is anyone using a Shield with SMB mounts for storage?

2) What about USB storage...do I need an SSD or can I just use a big spinning disk to support maybe 1-3 streams?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Warbird posted:

Hahahahahahaha you goobers jinxed me. The drive I use for my docker configs just poo poo the bed. So no more sonarr settings for me. I really need to get a proper backup.
Backups, not NAS. NAS serves an entirely different purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

CopperHound posted:

I think the question we are all wondering is:
Will this fix the ordering of my Firefly episodes without my manual intervention?

I would just do it by hand. There aren't very many.

(ducks)