Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So does the initial library processing need to happen before the server is officially seen as connected or something? Both going from plex.tv and from my phone when off my local network my account says I have no servers connected. I could see the progress happening on processing from the local IP address on my PC and I could also play stuff it had already processed from my phone when on the local network. I have the two green checkmarks that say it should be sharing fine.

Will all this just sort itself out once the initial processing is over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
How do I get Plex to use the genre tags and the like from my mp3s directly instead of going through last.fm or whatever it does? It seems to ignore GENRE from a lot of things.

Also, is there a way in folders view mode to say "play this folder"? I liked plex because I liked being able to just view my drat folder structure, but it doesn't seem to like me using that mode very much.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

The iOS app is a piece of poo poo. Particularly with chromecast. So much happier with the Amazon fire stick but I miss the ease of YouTube casting

You saying Youtube doesn't exist on the fire stick?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
If I'm looking at either the Fire Stick or the Fire TV, is there a massive reason to prefer the Fire TV if I'm going to be mainly just doing Netflix, Amazon Instant, and streaming Plex from my desktop server? Is the processing power that different?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Roundboy posted:

Hard line vs wireless solves a lot of issues with high bit rate streams.

This answer varies due to your media/wireless type/range

My desktop is hardlined into my router. Can the Fire TV have a hard line too? If so that might be enough of a reason to sell me on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

That's what his post means, yes.

I don't know what you're expecting though. It's a solid, powerful box to run android plex client on. It comes with a remote. If that's what you want, and I'm not sure what else there is for a plex setup, it's here.

I just didn't understand what made the Fire TV so much more expensive than the stick is all.