Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
To be fair, anime nerds have brought this on themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Roku tells me that my plex trial has ended and I can't play stuff any more. :gonk: I wasn't aware that I was on trial.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I deleted and reinstalled the app and it works now. What was the cutoff for when they started charging? I've been using this for ~1.5 years.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Plex on FireTV has issues also.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

The platform opening would be really nice but they didn't announce anything like that at the WWDC last week so it's not happening anytime soon. That being said, I've been using plexconnect for a couple of months now on an ATV3 and it's working great. If you're having trouble setting it up I can try to walk you through it in an IM or something.

Is that where you trick the native Trailers app into talking to your Plex server instead of talking to Apple?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't think it really organizes anything. It scans whatever folders you tell it to and makes its best guess about what each file is. It usually does a decent job unless the files have some unusually nonsensical naming scheme. The organization is all in its internal database; the files themselves should remain untouched.

Maybe there is a way to skip the nice database and just show you a plain file-browser kind of interface?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wtf is xbone?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I see.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there any way for the Plex server to tell clients to refresh? When my server updates its library the changes don't appear in my client (running on an Amazon Fire TV stick) unless I manually go through the settings menu there and hit the "refresh"thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else have problems with Plex on a Fire TV in the last few days? There was some thing a few days ago where the app was stuck in an endless loop of messages saying that you were required to purchase it but that you couldn't purchase it because you had already purchased it. They released an update that fixed that but now everything that I try to play just pops up an error message saying "Can't play this video".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah unless you have an unusually good home internet connection, serving movies to multiple users isn't really a reasonable expectation.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That update was for the neverending purchase messages. This was something different; it happened after I got that update.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anyone know if there is a way to force the android app to refresh regularly? Every time I open the app I have to go through the menu and hit refresh to get new stuff to show up. It is on a Fire TV if that matters.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I won't rest until my request for a text editor in Plex is addressed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Any cloud-based stuff that you might subscribe to wouldn't work obviously, but mostly you would just have to enter the IP address and port number of your server for devices that aren't on your home wifi.

edit: Also it may not be a good idea to continue running server software that is no longer getting security updates from its developer.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My plex has always updated itself automatically when new things appear in the TV and Movies folders. :confused: