Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a plex server running and a TV upstairs in the living room connected to the network via WiFi. Bandwidth is not good enough for 1080p streaming.

I'm confused about how to force plex server to reduce the bitrate so the TV can stream it fine. It's a 55" 1080p TV but it's across the living room so 720p is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eddiewalker posted:

You should be able to force transcoding with bitrate limits in the player app itself.

I know the Roku and iOS apps can.

It's an LG Smart tv and it doesn't really have any settings. I think I have to do it server side.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

Are you sure it's a bandwidth issue and not a server issue that's preventing you from streaming 1080p content? What are the specs of your Plex server and is it connected to your home network through WiFi or ethernet? Is your router a wireless B/G model only?

Im fairly sure it's a bandwidth issue. The TV is connected via wireless N, at the other end of the house and 1 floor up.

The plex server is an i3 Intel NUC with 4gb ram connected to a gigabit network. I would assume that would be enough to transcode to a lower bitrate. I suppose I could get it to try and play a high bitrate file from the TV and run resource monitor on the plex server and see what it's doing...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

notwithoutmyanus posted:

If you need bandwidth to handle connections between floors of a residence get a powerline Ethernet package (google powerline ethernet) for full Ethernet speeds with no signal degradation via using the power line.

:science:

Yeah I know about those, eventually I'll set that up, in the meantime I just wanted to reduce the bandwidth requirements.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OK Regarding my earlier post about if my plex server is up to the task of transcoding to my LG smart tv,

Here is a resource monitor while transcoding a medium size (12GB) 1080p mkv (h264)

Notice the peaks and valleys on the graphs match up with the buffering times on the TV

7% cpu usage
1-2MB/second harddisk usage
And usually less than 1MB/second network (on a Gigabit connection where I can do 37MB/sec to the nas and pull 75MB from the NAS)

I cant figure out a way to run a bandwidth test on the TV (No vudu app) but my laptop sitting next to the TV can only get:

Speedtest is a good indicator of signal strength being the bottleneck as I can pull over 50mbit near the router over wifi.

9Mbit being about the same as 1MB/sec according to the network utilization being used at the server, as per the resource monitor.

Herp Durf: Got it to work, there is an rj45 port on the back of the DVR that is supposed to be for network input to the dvr but also works unofficially as a network hub. Streams just fine now.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 31, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just got an M8 android box for someone. I have plexbmc running on it, but curious if there is a standalone plex app that works ? The premium plex app is available on the google play store, but not the single pay version.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

No he means the standalone app for non-plex pass users that's listed at $4.99 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plexapp.android&hl=en which should work on the M8 box, based on what I looked up real quick on it. Should have gotten a Fire TV or Roku for around the same price instead imo.

I wanted an open platform to run xbmc on that I know won't try to circumvent side loading apps in the future. Plus it runs xbmc really really well. I have no use for any of the bloat that is on the fire tv. I wanted as close to a raw android experience as possible.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

If the M8 box is running plexmbc/xmbc fine and streaming properly from a plex server, why do you need the official plex android app?

Honestly I haven't given PlexBMC much of a shot, but my first impression is it's kinda janky. I purchased one for myself and one as a gift for a friend. I don't need PlexBMC but I wanted to share my library with her. A more commercial looking interface would be nice.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
remote streaming. If I change my firewall to NAT only, it works, but for whatever reason remote streaming died today. I had to restart the plex server software.

Is there anything I am missing to keeping the plex server reliable on a windows 7 machine ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Heners_UK posted:

What sort of upload speeds do people have for remote streaming? It chugs on my 1mbit up

Well, I do 15mbit up but I have some friends and family who all stream.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mortanis posted:

For what it's worth, I had the exact same thing happen to me today. I had to log out and back in on my server for it to work as well. Possibly a widespread gum up on the Plex side of things or maybe coincidence.

Thanks. I ordered a plexpass which I don't need at all, but there is no paid plex app available from the good play store for these android set top boxes. I'm going to stress test it for a month and see how it does.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's nothing quite like being 5 minutes deep into a scene and asking yourself the question "Wait, am I supposed to be understanding this?"

Or watching a side by side 3D movie and having non 3D subtitles pop up giving your the urge to vomit.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a way to allow people with a plex client to view my extensive H-SBS library if they don't have 3D TV's ? As in, can I transcode my sbs content into 2D ?

Is this possible with XBMC ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have plexpass and share my library with my father/mother. They use an xbox360/plex to watch my shows and movies etc, and it gets constant buffering. The xbox is hardwired, internet connection at their end and my upstream is good enough, and choosing a low resolution doesn't help. Also my server seems to be fine. It's an Intel NUC i3 with 4gb ram.

If I use something like an android m8, or a nexus player it works perfectly fine. Is the xbox just garbage ? If I ship them a chromecast will that fix things ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been having all sorts of stuttering issues the last few days. This software has never worked well remotely for me. My family members are always calling saying how it's skipping and buffering. However now it's skipping and buffering at home as well. I'm thinking of cancelling my plex pass and telling my family members to get hosed. No more free movies it's not worth it having to listen to dad complaining that "Man of Tai Chi" is skipping.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sellouts posted:

What fixed it for me was getting a better router and making sure the streaming bitrates were set correctly for everyone else.

Also upgrading my upstream to 20mbit helped.

withak posted:

Yeah unless you have an unusually good home internet connection, serving movies to multiple users isn't really a reasonable expectation.

teagone posted:

What are your internet upload speeds like and what are the specs of your Plex server?

poo poo, I guess I thought I could just use this as an idiot proof way to allow my dad to watch movies while he recovers from an aortic valve replacement.

Internet connection is decent, I just figured the plex client was smart enough to reduce bandwidth if it's skipping etc.

The server is an Intel i3 NUC with 4gb ram. It was working perfectly for me over the local network which is a 300mbit 5ghz wireless at it's bottleneck and gigabit wired everywhere else. But now the last few days it doesn't even play well locally.

Edit:

Opened up resource monitor, I have a 10GB high bitrate rip transcoding down to 3mbit/720p on the local network. It's playing on a Google Nexus player and it's skipping. Server ram usage is 50%, cpu bouncing between 30% - 42%, and disk usage seems fine.

The Nexus Player can transfer files to it at 8MB/sec. I wonder if it's the Nexus Player choking up on the decode ? I can play the raw MKV's through kodi off my NAS perfectly.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 8, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Invisble Manuel posted:

Man, that's rude from your dad. The few people I've shared my library with, I asked them to let me know if they had issues so I could check my file, but in general, if it's not good for them, sorry, that's how life goes. Don't complain about free stuff.

That said, other than some very large bitrates and them not understanding how to select down, Plex has been a dream to use for me and for them. I couldn't be much happier with the entire 'ecosystem'

Im exaggerating. It's more like "Hey Jonathan any chance you could get plex to work ? I've been having issues for a few days"

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So my prior complaints about plex unable to stream locally or remotely... They're still an issue however I found out if I reboot my plex server it will stream fine even at 1080p for 2 days or so. I am not sure if just restarting the service works. Could this be a memory leak ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Only lovely thing with Google Play music is it randomly replace your uploaded files with PG-13 versions of the songs, and will auto detect words like gently caress and just randomly mute the song in spots. Listening to the newest redman album and it hosed it up pretty bad.

Yet it hasn't touched my Cannibal Corpse albums.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cancelled my plex pass and uninstalled everything in favour of Emby last night. I've had nothing but issues streaming remotely with Plex and even locally to my devices over a 1000mbit wired network still have issues.

Emby works seamlessly. I'm streaming 30mbit to my nexus players wirelessly without a stumble.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheScott2K posted:

I thought they had stopped doing that, or it was a setting you turned off in the manager.

I havent read anything to suggest it was ever fixed. It's been ongoing for a long time. However I havent done any streaming listening in a few weeks.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Unacknowledged posted:

Yea, gotta second this. Sorry you're having issues, but I've had almost no issues in playback as a result of Plex. Once in a while I notice some downloads are oversaturating my connection or something, but I have an absolutely massive library with about 10,000 video files, 20,000 music files, and another 13,000 photos. I share it with in-laws, my parents, siblings, and a few friends. No issues. Streams to new phones, a first gen ipad, smart TV apps, Apple TV, chromecast, everything is great. It's a life saver, can't imagine what I'd do without it now.

I spoke to soon anyways, local network streaming is awesome but I'm having issues getting it to connect outside my network. uPNP has never worked well on this actiontec router.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have Telus Optik DSL (50mbit). I don't get a choice as to which modem I use :(

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fuuuuck. Hackers gonna know my trakt and last.FM logins now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This has likely been asked before but I can't find mention of it. How is the shield as a Plex server so far ? I'm thinking of ditching the nuc as a Plex server and using it as a normal low power desktop for my office.