Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

How Ingratiating! posted:

Your video goes black for about a minute starting at 14:55, then again at 17:54 for a couple seconds, but I can still hear the game audio and your commentary. What went wrong?

Yeah, that's why she's handy. ;)

The L-Brace is called the Strongman Brace in the Japanese version. The other pieces of legendary armor, instead of being L-This or L-That, also refer to a specific type of person in that version.

And yay, Steam-out-the-scrubs-wood! There are two types of BFM players: those who beat Steamwood at this point, and those who didn't. The jumps that Valve 3 etc. make you do are a real killer, though. The sides of the pipes you're supposed to jump on are slanted, so you can slide off and mess up your timer if you're not careful. Those jumps were always more tense for me than the valve-turning minigames.

Wait, so you can fail the steamwood challenge and it's not a game over? What, does it make a bunch more leaks in the levels, blocking you from things?

Also, Zannosuke, why did you wait to appraise the L-Bracelet? Does it automatically start the Steamwood challenge right after that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Yep. if you fail steamwood, it blows up, and you get a game over screen. I was loving terrified of this as a kid!

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Section Z posted:

Add me to the pile of "Rented but never got far in". The Quote on the Thread title still stands out to me :allears:

I like how on top of being informative, you just seem so happy and enthusiastic about it all. Between all the watching people play games and watching them break down in the process (Note to self, get back to the Star Fox Adventures LP), it's always nice to see people enjoying themselves. So I hope the technical issues are not too much of a headache for you.

I wasn't kidding when I said I loving love this game. The issues aren't that bad, actually, just me getting used to using a new editor.

Choco1980 posted:

Wait, so you can fail the steamwood challenge and it's not a game over? What, does it make a bunch more leaks in the levels, blocking you from things?
Also, Zannosuke, why did you wait to appraise the L-Bracelet? Does it automatically start the Steamwood challenge right after that?

Oh, if you fail, it's Game Over.
I'm sorry if my actions didn't make clearer that L-Brace's appraisal triggers Steamwood breaking down. I do explain in the video that Steamwood blowing up was kind of an issue, though.

Fake Edit: beaten.

Also, don't worry as you guys will see a game over screen from me soon enough. I did it on purpose though.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ah, the first case of video game PTSD that this game brings up.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
There's only one thing worse than saving Steamwood at the start of the game. But we'll get there when we get there. :suicide:

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012
Steamwood was the most frustrating thing for me in this game.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Zannosuke posted:

Also, don't worry as you guys will see a game over screen from me soon enough. I did it on purpose though.
I expect several if only to show off the different quotes. :colbert:

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Oh man, I remember this game! I loved it so much, and then I just kind of petered out in the final area. I just used my consumables too profligately after the point of no return and was too young to have "keep a backup save" hammered into me.

I, too, hated Steamwood. I have a hard time deciding whether I hate it or something else more. The other thing is, in my opinion, even more frustrating, but it's a single screen on the way to the Wind Crest Guardian so it's over in a matter of a minute, whereas Steamwood is a quarter of an hour of annoyance, so I'm not sure which part I find worse overall.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Glidergun posted:

Oh man, I remember this game! I loved it so much, and then I just kind of petered out in the final area. I just used my consumables too profligately after the point of no return and was too young to have "keep a backup save" hammered into me.

I, too, hated Steamwood. I have a hard time deciding whether I hate it or something else more. The other thing is, in my opinion, even more frustrating, but it's a single screen on the way to the Wind Crest Guardian so it's over in a matter of a minute, whereas Steamwood is a quarter of an hour of annoyance, so I'm not sure which part I find worse overall.

I'd say think I know which screen your talking about, but it truly could be any screen on the way there. I am actually practicing for one section of that place in this LP. You can probably guess which one if you're paying attention.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I never played this game, but it certainly has a lot of charm.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I never played this game, but it certainly has a lot of charm.

That's the response that I expected out of people when I started this LP, not the torrent of love and adulating nostalgia that it's currently producing. Which is awesome! :woop:

By the way, new episode up!!!

Episode 3, Part 2: Rick Raced

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 5, 2014

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
This game's an old favorite of mine, and I'm glad to see such a cool LP. Keep it up!

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Is the VA of the prisoner in the stocks Steve Blum?

Edit: Welp!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow Steamwood is kind of a dick move. You barely have time to get used to the game mechanics and yet you have to do all that? drat.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I got seriously stuck right before getting the Earth scroll. I'd explored the place where you fight him on my first time climbing Twinpeak, so I already knew there wasn't anything there, and I just ran through the rest of the area like ten times. It took me a week until I finally found the bastard.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Steamwood drove me loving insane.

The game's difficulty remains mostly steady throughout, but there are spikes, sometimes accompanied by abrupt gameplay changes. Some, though, are pretty fun.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Just checking in to say that I love this game and I love what you've done with it so far. Getting to see it played again is getting me all nostalgic.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
I recall a friend of mine traded the first disc of FFVII for this game for a few months (we were young enough that it took him that long to get to the second disc), played the hell out of it and loved it. This was such an underrated gem, the waves of nostalgia are flooding back! Just beating the steam knight took me an embarrassing amount of time, shameful as it is to admit. I was young, what can I say.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Axe Master posted:

I recall a friend of mine traded the first disc of FFVII for this game for a few months (we were young enough that it took him that long to get to the second disc), played the hell out of it and loved it. This was such an underrated gem, the waves of nostalgia are flooding back! Just beating the steam knight took me an embarrassing amount of time, shameful as it is to admit. I was young, what can I say.

You are not alone sir. First time I played the demo, it took me six days to figure out that you had to throw the steam knight through the wall. Then again, there are things in this game that don't make much sense. And it's awesome because of it.

Episode will be posted soon. Just have to edit it all up.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Just caught up.

I loved loved LOVED this game when I was in college! It makes me wanna go out to a pawn shop and grab a copy.
And I hate hate HATED that little brat.

Have some fan art about it.

Puh-leeeez tell me you plan on showing all the action figures out of their package. I was a geek about playing with the action figures in the game, imagining playing with them in real life and wondering what girl's were like.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Grimwit posted:

Just caught up.

I loved loved LOVED this game when I was in college! It makes me wanna go out to a pawn shop and grab a copy.
And I hate hate HATED that little brat.

Have some fan art about it.

Puh-leeeez tell me you plan on showing all the action figures out of their package. I was a geek about playing with the action figures in the game, imagining playing with them in real life and wondering what girl's were like.

Don't worry man, I'll do that at the end of every chapter, after I buy them, of course.

Also, holy poo poo man, keep up the fanart!

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New episode up!!

Episode 3, Part 3: Prep Time

Alex0080
May 3, 2013
The maid actually teaches you your first technique, and it's been so long since I played this game that I completely forgot about Hawker Steakwood to.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
"Somnolent" refers to sleep, as in "somnambulism" - sleepwalking. I only know this because it was a clue in Altered Destiny.

I was pretty sure the herbs in the basket also decreased Musashi's tiredness, since the fight can drag on and being tired is pretty much a death sentence. Maybe I'm wrong about that, since I don't remember any of the other bosses having mints around - does Musashi even get tired while fighting bosses?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
As long as time is still passing in-game, Musashi will get tired and regen HP as usual during boss fights. The herb in the basket is an Antidote, and only cures poison. It doesn't decrease tiredness. Poison damage is 8 HP per hour. First the 4 HP hourly regen goes off, then poison damage.

Correct me if I missed it, but Zannosuke, you never mentioned how the Crest Guardian's core increases Musashi's level limit. It would've been cool to do some more off-screen grinding to get all of Musashi's experience bars up to 8:99, when they're flashing, so when you grabbed Skullpion's core, everything would level up to 9 at once.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

As long as time is still passing in-game, Musashi will get tired and regen HP as usual during boss fights. The herb in the basket is an Antidote, and only cures poison. It doesn't decrease tiredness. Poison damage is 8 HP per hour. First the 4 HP hourly regen goes off, then poison damage.

Correct me if I missed it, but Zannosuke, you never mentioned how the Crest Guardian's core increases Musashi's level limit. It would've been cool to do some more off-screen grinding to get all of Musashi's experience bars up to 8:99, when they're flashing, so when you grabbed Skullpion's core, everything would level up to 9 at once.

Usually, that's what I would do to save time, but didn't do it this time, due to time constraints. How ironic.

Gim52a posted:

The maid actually teaches you your first technique, and it's been so long since I played this game that I completely forgot about Hawker Steakwood too.

drat, I totally forgot she does that!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

True to form for 90s localizations, Bubbles, Gingerelle, and Flatski aren't the Japanese names of those characters we just met. Respectively, they were originally Brandy, Liquor, and Tequila.

Who the hell even knows what "Thirstquencher" and "Allucaneet" and all the rest of these names were. But, who even cares. These ridiculous names are a beautiful thing.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Mazed posted:

True to form for 90s localizations, Bubbles, Gingerelle, and Flatski aren't the Japanese names of those characters we just met. Respectively, they were originally Brandy, Liquor, and Tequila.

Who the hell even knows what "Thirstquencher" and "Allucaneet" and all the rest of these names were. But, who even cares. These ridiculous names are a beautiful thing.

Thirstquencher was Liquor Barrel, and Allucaneet was Yakuiniku, a slightly altered form of yakiniku. The word's used for Japanese fried meat, and Korean barbecue. So, BBQ Kingdom.

And Rootrick was Bordeaux. :eng101:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mazed posted:

...I have to ask: is "naming characters after food" some weird Japanese thing? Because I thought that was limited to Akira Toriyama.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

There are 10,000+ kanji and many sound identical despite wildly divergent meanings. There are also two separate phonetic alphabets, one for native words, and one for spelling foreign words. Japanese is a good language for puns, period, and lots of manga and video games make use of themes when naming their cast.

...though it could still be a Toriyama reference anyway. Musashi and Dragonball do have a similar feel to them.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 11, 2014

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Overflight posted:

...I have to ask: is "naming characters after food" some weird Japanese thing? Because I thought that was limited to Akira Toriyama.
Colors, food, historical figures, seasons, elements, clothes, musical instruments...

Really, naming characters after alcoholic beverages doesn't seem that strange when you consider the average. It only feels strange if the characters aren't designed to resemble or incorporate their namesakes in some way, which I feel might be the case in Brave Fencer.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Overflight posted:

Not at all. People just love puns and theme naming. Like remember Megaman? He was Rock(man) in the JP version. Which is why his sister was named Roll, his rival was name Blues, his anti-self was named Forte (whose dog was named Gospel) and so on.

In Starforce 3, the main villains are Dealer whose members are Mr. King, QueenVirgo, JackCorvus, Heartless and Joker (the black dude in my avatar). They create the bosses SpadeMagnes, DiamondIce and ClubStrong.

I think every JP game company does this.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
Hey guys what's up!

Just a quick apology for not updating recently. I've been bogged down by a combination of a new job and Skyrim (Y'all can blame Lizard Wizard for that second one. That Oblivion LP is too good!).
Also, I've upgraded my version of Fraps, which records in one contiguous video instead of, like thirteen smaller ones. Score one for easier editing!! Hopefully, I can have an episode ready by tomorrow.

Later.

SSNeoman posted:

Not at all. People just love puns and theme naming. Like remember Megaman? He was Rock(man) in the JP version. Which is why his sister was named Roll, his rival was name Blues, his anti-self was named Forte (whose dog was named Gospel) and so on.

In Starforce 3, the main villains are Dealer whose members are Mr. King, QueenVirgo, JackCorvus, Heartless and Joker (the black dude in my avatar). They create the bosses SpadeMagnes, DiamondIce and ClubStrong.

I think every JP game company does this.

Yeah, some do, some don't. The theme naming thing is actually pretty common, especially in manga/anime. Speaking of naming things, I'd thought I'd share a bit of localization genius with you guys.

In this game, the Five Scrolls are Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, and Sky, right? Musashi describes in his book "The Book of Five Rings" (his preachings on war, overall strategy, fighting techniques, and philosophy that I REALLY want to get my hands on) the five elements of battle being based on the Buddhist elements of Earth, Water, Fire, Wind and the Void/Nothing. Now, this game is aimed towards kids; what average 6-10 year old kid would get the concept of a void? See, the hangup is the word itself: Void. I can honestly admit that 8-11 year old me would have never gotten what that word meant. However, there is exists a void that every kid is very familiar with: the Sky. And thus, the meaning of Void is accurately conveyed: an empty space. This fact really hit home when I started playing the not-so-great sequel to this game, in which the five swords you collect are, you guessed it, Earth, Water, Fire, Wind and Void.

Now, I don't know what the fifth scroll is named in the Japanese version. Hell, I could be completely off the mark about why they named the last scroll "Sky", but I thought I'd just share my reasoning with you guys.

Later.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

If I recall, there's reasons they used 'Sky' because it's related specifically to what circumstances the scroll is obtained under. It could of course just be a translation thing too, but it fits, and doesn't go against the Book of Five Rings theme.

Also, the Book of Five Rings is best read in the voice of this game's Musashi, as opposed to some gravelly wise old sensei that most people probably imagine.

But then, the real life Musashi was basically the closest real-world thing to an 'adventurer' as defined by modern fantasy that there has ever been (particular the 'big dumb fighter' type), and this is hilarious.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Mazed posted:

If I recall, there's reasons they used 'Sky' because it's related specifically to what circumstances the scroll is obtained under. It could of course just be a translation thing too, but it fits, and doesn't go against the Book of Five Rings theme.

Also, the Book of Five Rings is best read in the voice of this game's Musashi, as opposed to some gravelly wise old sensei that most people probably imagine.

But then, the real life Musashi was basically the closest real-world thing to an 'adventurer' as defined by modern fantasy that there has ever been (particular the 'big dumb fighter' type), and this is hilarious.

I just did a bit of a wiki-walk and I found that the kanji for Void, as it pertains to the Buddhist Elements, can also be read as Sky or Heaven. So, I guess I was close? v:v:v

Also the on fighter thing: he's seems pretty smart and well rounded. He practiced his brushwork with as much effort and skill as he did with his sword, and he's got war-strats out the wazoo.(Know your battle-field, master your movements, try not use the same weapon/moveset repetitively, ect.) It's why I want to read his book so badly; you can still apply these philosophies to certain aspects of life/competition and still have it work.

Can't wait read the Book of Five Rings in mini-Musashi's voice. :xd:

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

I found an LP of the Japanese version of BFM, and it's Sky.

The real Musashi Miyamoto was such a great swordsman that he never died in battle. Cancer did that instead. :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I found an LP of the Japanese version of BFM, and it's Sky.

The real Musashi Miyamoto was such a great swordsman that he never died in battle. Cancer did that instead. :v:

Miyamoto gave no fucks.
The duel with Kojiro is still one of my favorite storiea out of japanese history/legend since it involves him hopping off a boat with a large gently caress off wooden stick, killing a master swordsman with it then quickly hopping back on the boat so the guys disciples couldnt catch him.

Hop bonk hop.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Miyamoto gave no fucks.
The duel with Kojiro is still one of my favorite storiea out of japanese history/legend since it involves him hopping off a boat with a large gently caress off wooden stick, killing a master swordsman with it then quickly hopping back on the boat so the guys disciples couldnt catch him.

Hop bonk hop.

This story is why I love comparing him to the big dumb fighter archetype.

It's such a loving D&D move.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Miyamoto gave no fucks.

Hop bonk hop.

I read that Musashi was notorious for arriving to duels late as a means of unsettling his opponents. In the case of Kojiro, he timed his boat trip such that the tide would take him to the island, and during his journey he fashioned a long wooden sword out of his oar (likely to handle Kojiro's nodachi). Upon arriving late as usual, he proceeded to strike down the incensed Kojiro, then hopped back in his boat with the tide now turned to bring him back to the mainland.

How much truth is in that is up for argument, but it's still a great story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Miyamoto gave no fucks.

Hop bonk hop.

It was less a big wooden stick, more of a wooden sword carved out of an oar. Would've been like getting hit with sword-shaped baseball bat. The legend about his duel with Kojiro is pretty hilarious, especially since I have this picture in my head of Musashi having the most :smug: expression while sailing away.

• Locked thread