Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Zeikier posted:

I think the worst platforming section is the bone swings in Twinpeak. The hitbox on that is wonky as all hell and you can't just hold to the right to catch the next one. It's manageable, but still awkward.

On the bone swings, just jump off while pressing no directions, and Musashi will literally fall right on top of the next one. Makes it easy once you get used to it.

How Ingratiating! posted:

With the D-pad, you can't start running at full speed right away (when dust clouds come off Musashi's feet), and letting go of the direction while running always results in a skid. With an analog stick, Musashi can dash right away and stop on a dime.

She's got a point. When I skidded off that platform in the mines, I had switched over to D-Pad to make that jump easier for myself. Though, I'm not certain whether or not Musashi skids on landing with just the D-Pad. I'll test it and let y'all know tomorrow.

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
She. :eng101: And you can still skid with the analog stick if you don't hold it just so when you land or stop running.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did we not see all of Twinpeak Mountain last time, or is this errand pure backtrack?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I think you can get up to where Aqualin is after you get the Earth Scroll. But you can't gather it until that event in Chapter 3 to save Tim. Afterwards though, you can go back up and get Aqualin whenever; it heals Poison and restores 10 HP.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New episode up!!

Episode 4, Part 3: Dual Possibilities

I apologize for the melodrama near the middle of the video. I dunno what happened.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Really dig your enthusiasm, Zannosuke, with this LP. It makes for a entertaining watch for a game I've never played before.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

That what-if could have used a massive trim. It really didn't need the amount of time it took in that video to explain what would happen, and just felt like padding.

Your commentary would benefit from not reading the gist of what the characters say all the time. Maybe plan in advance what you'll say about the parts you're playing so it has more structure. A lot of the unspoken dialogue has some character bits to them, so I guess it can't be skipped over, but less of the current play-by-play reading would help.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Seemed fine to me, really enjoying the Lp so far. I never really got to see this game though I remember playing a demo of it a long time ago. Keep up the good work I'm looking forward to the next video.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

I'm really glad someone is bringing this amazing game to the masses, but you're getting a little overbearing to the story. You could have summarized the whole "Tim becomes a Vambee" thing by skipping to the end, then after the talking scenes explain that you lose access to the Grocery Store for now, that Hotelo goes missing, and that you don't get an orange (which teaches you the most radical move in the game.)

You're enthusiastic, that's great, but you don't need to carry the game and explain to us what people are saying. Just linger on the text box for a fraction longer and let us read it. This game even goes out of its way to put the Important Words in bold red text, so you can just give us a basic summary at the end of the conversation for those who don't want to read.

But really though, even though I think the game should be allowed to speak a little more for itself, I'm glad you're doing this and want to thank you for bringing this really obscure amazing game some attention.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
This is legitimately my favorite game of all time. It's just so whimsical :allears: I'm extremely glad you're LP'ing it. Keep it up, man.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
For those of you who gave feedback, I appreciate it. I'm always looking for ways to improve my LP's. I'll be honest, that last episode should have been shorter. Thankfully, the next episode will be more action-y for us, so yeah. Hang tight.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Really liking this thread, and this game! You have the perfect voice and enthusiasm for this. It's so charming and interesting, and there are so many neat mechanics at play!

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New episode up!!

Episode 5, Part 1: Baking Under the Influence (of Porkchops)

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 1, 2014

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Baking Under the Influence (of pork chops)

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Really enjoying your LP so far, I like how much enthusiasm you have for the game. I played this game a ton when I was a kid and I still have my copy (with the FF8 demo and everything).

Since I played this as a kid it's only now that I'm getting all the adult references associated with the restaurant. Pork chops, soda pop, caffeine? I never gave it a second thought when I was younger, but it all makes sense now! :doh:

I still love how much personality the game has, even if everything is ridiculously named after food (even pot roast haha). Despite certain things being lost in translation (or censored), I think a lot of more contemporary adventure games could learn a thing or two from BFM.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Gildiss posted:

Baking Under the Influence (of pork chops)

If you don't mind, I'm gonna steal this title. It's too brilliant.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Bowl" is a pretty great special ability. I'm hoping you don't have to cart it all around the world looking for cracked walls, though.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

This game does a very good job of localizing "world powers." I don't really recall any instance of Bowl-Walls outside of this dungeon, or Spring Spikes in an area with no springy guy, or similar "you need this power and this power only" patches very far outside of the area their power is granted. Most content is locked behind Scroll Abilities, and special rewards or bincho fields or minkus that are hidden behind Fusion abilities tend to have the ability within one or two screens.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Fumbles posted:

This game does a very good job of localizing "world powers." I don't really recall any instance of Bowl-Walls outside of this dungeon, or Spring Spikes in an area with no springy guy, or similar "you need this power and this power only" patches very far outside of the area their power is granted. Most content is locked behind Scroll Abilities, and special rewards or bincho fields or minkus that are hidden behind Fusion abilities tend to have the ability within one or two screens.

That's one of the nice things about the game. You don't need a power from Twin Peak Mountain to use in the mines or anything frustrating like that. The most nefarious fusion ability use that I can remember is in the Ice Palace where you need the Steel ability to break through what looks like a field of harpoons in order to get a bincho field, however thinking to get the ability in the first place and then finding where to use it aren't exactly straight forward.

God help you if you miss it because getting back to the Ice Palace is awful. It's only one of two or so in that dungeon and can be really hard to find because your watch will blink like crazy but it's hard to pinpoint where it is.

edit: vvvv you're right, my memory sucks

Shoren fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 4, 2014

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I didn't even know Hop worked there. You can absorb an ability in that dungeon that allows you to break spikes by walking into them.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Apparently part of my sense of humor just never grew up, because the name "Pianissimeat" is just as immaturely hilarious now as it was then.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Glazius posted:

"Bowl" is a pretty great special ability. I'm hoping you don't have to cart it all around the world looking for cracked walls, though.

No,no,no. Powers are grouped into two different use categories: general use (usually attack powers), or special occasion (the thing you need to use it for is right there or close by.) As people posted earlier, the game does a fantastic job with power locations. There is never an occasion where a power from one area needs to be used to progress in an entirely different one. That's reserved for the Five Scrolls and L-Armor pieces.

Should have an episode or two up later on today.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Having you get one of the puns live after all these years was precious. It's like you're in-character as 16-year-old me.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New episode up!!
Episode 5, Part 2: Stuffed in the Darkness

I tried a new rendering style. Tell me if the slight motion blur in the video is too much.

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 14, 2014

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

edit: Deprecated.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 14, 2014

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Zannosuke posted:

New episode up!!
Episode 5, Part 2: Stuffed in the Darkness

I tried a new rendering style. Tell me if the slight motion blur in the video is too much.

I'd say that you should change the rendering style to what you had going before, the new one is killing the video quality for me.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I don't know what improvement you were hoping for, if any, but that video quality is terrible, and I say this as someone who still has copies of old LPs that I rendered in DivX and passed through Viddler's encoder. If it's not too late, you might want to redo this video in the old style so it's viewable, and never do whatever you just did ever again.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Wow, the sharpness dropped right off with whatever you did. And it feels like the video keep bulging randomly, with every pixel shifting around periodically.

It'd almost look like a neat "room made out of flesh" effect, if it weren't affecting the entire heads up display and everything.

That's the only upside I could think of, but seriously, what inspired you to switch render methods?

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Nidoking posted:

I don't know what improvement you were hoping for, if any, but that video quality is terrible, and I say this as someone who still has copies of old LPs that I rendered in DivX and passed through Viddler's encoder. If it's not too late, you might want to redo this video in the old style so it's viewable, and never do whatever you just did ever again.

Duly noted. I was trying mute the color saturation (because it's a bit too high), but ended up continually causing motion blur. I'll go to the Tech Support Fort to try to fix this admittedly minor issue, but only show the results if it succeeds.

Fixed version will be posted in an hour or so.

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 14, 2014

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
Fixed version is now live. OP and recent posts have been updated.

Sorry for the drop in quality.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I kind of like the idea of scouting out a dark area, and it doesn't look too hard to memorize.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
All those times I played the game I just did those dark sections by trial and error. I never thought to absorb tho ghosts.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
Hey guys. Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Work and computer issues are the main causes. Hopefully I'll have an episode up tomorrow for you guys.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Zannosuke posted:

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Work and computer issues are the main causes. Hopefully I'll have an episode up tomorrow for you guys.

I'm glad to see this LP isn't dead. I've always wanted to play BFM but just never got around to it; thanks for showing it off.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New episode finally up!!!

Episode 5, Part 3: About Freaking Time

Sorry for the delay. Hard drive death is a hard thing to recover from with one computer. Hopefully I'll be back to proper LPing shape in a week or two.

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 18, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0156
Jan 1, 2005
romantic comedy wahhhh
yaaay I'm glad this thread is back. I played this game to death as a kid and always thought I'd revisit it but for some reason the BP decreasing food eating thing scared me away even though it never got in the way as a kid and would be even less likely to now.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Glad to see this back. You're officially past where I got to as a kid. I don't think I even cleared a single eye door TBH. Also, you ran past a chest at around 5:45. Just useless loot I assume?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know, I think one of the reasons I never make it far into replaying this game is because everything in this chapter up to the end of this video is just a drag. It's just so boring. The bowling quadrant of the dungeon is amazing, but the other three sections just suck the life out of you. Not to mention the whole ordeal with Tim and having to travel all over God's green earth for two plants. The next chapter is not much better about it until the dungeon starts.

ippon
Nov 16, 2012
Count me in on being excited as well that this LP is still alive! I never owned this game, but I always would borrow it from my best friend to play it. I think this is about as far as I got though. Watching it get played is making me want to follow along too, guess I'll have to go out and get a copy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ah, it's back. How nice! Alas, it must be said that while I played the game to completion multiple times, the Vambee arc of the game is just interminable even when you're playing it in person. Fortunately I believe we're only one boss fight/set-piece away from finishing it, and I enjoyed the rest of the game a great deal.

• Locked thread