Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Back in the PSX days I went through the trouble of getting my system modded to play Japanese imports. I don't remember what I was originally looking for the day I bought this (I assume it was the FF8 demo that swayed me) but I never had cause to regret the decision. I remember it being a lot of fun--even the story wasn't hard to follow, though I missed the puns what with not speaking a word of Japanese and all.

(As a side-effect it also neatly avoided the hand-holding on some of the puzzles. I thought a lot of them were clever! Then they released the English version and I realized all the dialogue I couldn't understand was literally telling you the solution a lot of the time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

This was the hardest puzzle in the game for me when I played the Japanese import. I was stuck for days trying to figure out what to feed that guy. He clearly wanted food, but what kind? In the end I had to look up the katakana one at a time then find out what the words meant. Oddly enough that was one of the only times the language barrier walled me. Most of the game's puzzles are fairly intuitive.

Musashi & Threads of Fate represent some of the best stuff Square was doing in the PSX era. I think they've aged better than the FF games, even.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Zannosuke posted:

Also, don't worry as you guys will see a game over screen from me soon enough. I did it on purpose though.
I expect several if only to show off the different quotes. :colbert:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

There are 10,000+ kanji and many sound identical despite wildly divergent meanings. There are also two separate phonetic alphabets, one for native words, and one for spelling foreign words. Japanese is a good language for puns, period, and lots of manga and video games make use of themes when naming their cast.

...though it could still be a Toriyama reference anyway. Musashi and Dragonball do have a similar feel to them.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 11, 2014

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

In retrospect, it's shocking this LP got to page 3 without someone posting the Hark! A Vagrant! comic on him:

by Kate Beaton

So should we take this as permission to talk about the historical Musashi? Or at least how he's portrayed in Japanese pop culture. At this point sorting one from the other is like arguing the details of Robin Hood's biography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ah, it's back. How nice! Alas, it must be said that while I played the game to completion multiple times, the Vambee arc of the game is just interminable even when you're playing it in person. Fortunately I believe we're only one boss fight/set-piece away from finishing it, and I enjoyed the rest of the game a great deal.

• Locked thread