Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

What is this mess?
Brave Fencer Musashi was an Action-Platformer/RPG developed by Squaresoft and released back in 1998. It was touted as a so-called “Zelda Killer” at that year's E3, but was met with a general “meh” in sales, despite generally good scores. It also included, as you can plainly see, a playable demo for Final Fantasy VIII. For some people, that was the only selling point needed to buy this game.

I was NOT one of those people.

Why LP this game?
I loving love this game. I want to share my love of this game to people and show why this game is worth your time. It's cheesy, it's fun, has character, and has design decisions that reverberate through gaming history. It's the first game I've ever picked up solely because the demo was so awesome.

It's also filled to the brim with puns. Lots of puns.

How will you be playing this game?
This will be an informative LP, with post commentary. I will also attempt to get 100% completion of everything.

Also, I kindly ask that you don't post spoilers for this game. It might be an oldie, but there are some people who might not have played or even heard of this game.

With that said, let's do this thing.

Episode 1: The Journey Begins
Episode 2, Part 1: Exposition and Explanations
Episode 2, Part 2: Dog Daze
Episode 2, Part 3, Rapids Suck
Episode 3, Part 1: Vapor Tree, WTF, Man?!
Episode 3, Part 2: Rick Raced
Episode 3, Part 3: Prep Time
Episode 4, Part 1: Off-Kilter
Episode 4, Part 2: Flower Power
Episode 4, Part 3: Dual Possibilities
Episode 5, Part 1: Baking Under the Influence (of Porkchops)
Episode 5, Part 2: Stuffed in the Darkness
Episode 5, Part 3: About Freaking Time
Episode 6, Part 1: Demon's Brawl
Episode 6, Part 2: Prep Time 2 (Igneous Boogaloo)
Episode 6, Part 3: Cracked Crucible
Episode 7, Part 1: Takin' Stock
Episode 7, Part 2: Rock Bottom
Episode 7, Part 3: Conversations
Episode 8, Part 1: Revengeance
Episode 8, Part 2: Shifted Expectations
Episode 9, Part 1: Issues

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
Reserved for stuff.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Not quite as pun-filled, and more of a sequel than a remake but Musashi Samurai Legend is a fairly good game. If you still have a PS2 floating around you could probably find it for cheap on Amazon or something.

I dunno... I found it lacked a certain Musashi-ness when I played it. It's alright but to me this game definitely superior than its sequel. Something I'll get into when I get my PS2 back.

Also, what the hell, Sony?! Why is this game not on PSN anywhere but Japan?!:argh:

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Jesus what. I own that game, and, uh...no it is not. Let's look at the boxart.

That about sums it up.

The only systems in that game I actually liked were the ability to store the techniques you aquired, and canceling said techniques into your combos. That and the soundtrack which ranges from "phoning it in" to "inspired".

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Pretty unmemorable save for the tutorial for acquiring techniques being really trial-and-error-y. Also, there was some kind of worse version of Crazy Motorcycle from FF7.

Holy poo poo, I totally forgot about that annoying rear end motorcycle BS. You had to do it everytime you went to a certain area. Also, if memory serves me right, it was nigh unskippable. But, I've never beaten the game so correct me if I'm wrong. I could write paragraphs on what that game could have done better, but that's for another LP.

Hope to have another episode up by Sunday night.

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 11, 2014

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New Episode up!!

Episode 2, Part 1: Exposition and Explanations

Warning: the following episode is filled to the brim with explanation.

Mazed posted:

Also, these characters were all designed by Tetsuya Nomura.

What happened, man. what happened

Well, there goes my sanity.:suicide: Didn't he also design the characters for Musashi Samurai Legends?

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 31, 2014

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

macfam posted:

Haha this game is great, it's like Metal Gear Rising for the PlayStation 1.

I mean once that giant robot appeared I started hearing "RULES OF NATURE" in my head. Even the princess being kidnapped by a cocky Southerner reminded me of the prologue of Revengance.

The thing that just hooked me about this game as a kid was the moment I figured out I had to throw that big rear end motherfucker through a goddamn WALL. THREE TIMES.:black101:

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

bobthethurd posted:

"Thou art beeth correcteth!"

I would say this is the best Engrish I've ever seen, but this is better than that. This was on purpose.

I got exactly that far into the video and I am slain. This game is great.

It really is good voice-acting, though. At least the equal of the voice work in Megaman Legends 1 and 2, just from this first bit.

Oh, it gets better. We'll be hearing a very familiar voice soon.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

McKilligan posted:

I just get a kick out of the voice of Chief Aramaki sounding to patently absurd. This game has a ton of charm!

In all my years playing this game, I never once made that connection. This game does have some pretty awesome voice acting/actors.

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 1, 2014

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New Episode up!!

Episode 2, Part 2: Dog Daze

Also, the explaining will soon wind down as we get deeper into the game itself, so hold on.

I'll be keeping track of everything in the thread soon, to keep the crap in my videos to a minimum.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Overflight posted:

I got the impression that he anticipated that he might get caught so he somehow had a duplicate key made and hid it.

Yep, that's what I thought as well.

New episode up in a few hours. Going to try a new editor, because Camtasia is totally cribbing my ability to edit accurately. BFM actually runs at 30-60 FPS and Camtasia can't handle it.

Fake edit: Sony Vegas, where have you been all my life?

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Mazed posted:

See, Wanda first noticed Musashi's huge sideburns and eyebrows (both signs of virile manliness, without a doubt) but it became apparent he was a kid when he opened his mouth. But by then she had committed to the act.

:mmmhmm:
I don't that theory really holds water since everyone else in the village instantly spots that Musashi is a young boy. That's my opinion at least.

By the way, New Episode up!!!

Episode 2, Part 3, Rapids Suck

After this episode, I'm going to start tightening up my editing.

Also, real progress!!

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 2, 2014

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

How Ingratiating! posted:

You're right about Mind being slowest to max out. BFM's the only game where I had to run around to grind a stat. Fusion and Lumina are a breeze in comparison, as they don't rely on kills, but strikes on enemies, whether they're lethal or not. Using the Counter move seems to rack up sword experience pretty fast, too.

Also, don't you need to rescue a few more castle members to beat the game? Even if you know what to do without them, I think the game makes you collect them anyway.

Next episode's probably gonna be the part where about half the people who played this game gave up! :haw:

You actually just touched on something I forgot to show, and rediscovered while grinding a bit on Twinpeak. That'll be shown a couple of episodes from now. But, as far as I remember, there's no one left that you're required to rescue, except perhaps the librarian or weaver in the basement. I am running this thing memory blind, so forgive me.:sweatdrop:

SSNeoman posted:

Aww you can't get wasted and kill people with an oar?

That's not until the sequel, although I don't think you can get drunk.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

I'm going off a rough memory of minimum required rescues from when I used to speedrun the game, myself. :shobon: I don't think the librarian or weaver are required to finish the game, even if the second one is handy to rescue anyway. But if you forgot the path through Meandering Forest to Frozen Palace, I will judge you. :colbert:

You do remember that the weaver will give you a bonus piece of Legendary Armor, right?

That practice run idea is pretty good one. I used it when I LP'd Ape Escape, don't know why I didn't employ that here too. After the next two episodes, I'll start doing that, since the footage for those has already been recorded.

Also, new episode up!!

Episode 3, Part 1: Vapor Tree, WTF, Man?!

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 3, 2014

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Your video goes black for about a minute starting at 14:55, then again at 17:54 for a couple seconds, but I can still hear the game audio and your commentary. What went wrong?

Encoding error. I'll have that fixed in a bit.

The next update was actually a learning experience for me. Several things happened to me that I didn't think would happen. This seems to be a running theme for my LP's.

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 3, 2014

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Section Z posted:

Add me to the pile of "Rented but never got far in". The Quote on the Thread title still stands out to me :allears:

I like how on top of being informative, you just seem so happy and enthusiastic about it all. Between all the watching people play games and watching them break down in the process (Note to self, get back to the Star Fox Adventures LP), it's always nice to see people enjoying themselves. So I hope the technical issues are not too much of a headache for you.

I wasn't kidding when I said I loving love this game. The issues aren't that bad, actually, just me getting used to using a new editor.

Choco1980 posted:

Wait, so you can fail the steamwood challenge and it's not a game over? What, does it make a bunch more leaks in the levels, blocking you from things?
Also, Zannosuke, why did you wait to appraise the L-Bracelet? Does it automatically start the Steamwood challenge right after that?

Oh, if you fail, it's Game Over.
I'm sorry if my actions didn't make clearer that L-Brace's appraisal triggers Steamwood breaking down. I do explain in the video that Steamwood blowing up was kind of an issue, though.

Fake Edit: beaten.

Also, don't worry as you guys will see a game over screen from me soon enough. I did it on purpose though.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Glidergun posted:

Oh man, I remember this game! I loved it so much, and then I just kind of petered out in the final area. I just used my consumables too profligately after the point of no return and was too young to have "keep a backup save" hammered into me.

I, too, hated Steamwood. I have a hard time deciding whether I hate it or something else more. The other thing is, in my opinion, even more frustrating, but it's a single screen on the way to the Wind Crest Guardian so it's over in a matter of a minute, whereas Steamwood is a quarter of an hour of annoyance, so I'm not sure which part I find worse overall.

I'd say think I know which screen your talking about, but it truly could be any screen on the way there. I am actually practicing for one section of that place in this LP. You can probably guess which one if you're paying attention.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I never played this game, but it certainly has a lot of charm.

That's the response that I expected out of people when I started this LP, not the torrent of love and adulating nostalgia that it's currently producing. Which is awesome! :woop:

By the way, new episode up!!!

Episode 3, Part 2: Rick Raced

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 5, 2014

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Axe Master posted:

I recall a friend of mine traded the first disc of FFVII for this game for a few months (we were young enough that it took him that long to get to the second disc), played the hell out of it and loved it. This was such an underrated gem, the waves of nostalgia are flooding back! Just beating the steam knight took me an embarrassing amount of time, shameful as it is to admit. I was young, what can I say.

You are not alone sir. First time I played the demo, it took me six days to figure out that you had to throw the steam knight through the wall. Then again, there are things in this game that don't make much sense. And it's awesome because of it.

Episode will be posted soon. Just have to edit it all up.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Grimwit posted:

Just caught up.

I loved loved LOVED this game when I was in college! It makes me wanna go out to a pawn shop and grab a copy.
And I hate hate HATED that little brat.

Have some fan art about it.

Puh-leeeez tell me you plan on showing all the action figures out of their package. I was a geek about playing with the action figures in the game, imagining playing with them in real life and wondering what girl's were like.

Don't worry man, I'll do that at the end of every chapter, after I buy them, of course.

Also, holy poo poo man, keep up the fanart!

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New episode up!!

Episode 3, Part 3: Prep Time

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

As long as time is still passing in-game, Musashi will get tired and regen HP as usual during boss fights. The herb in the basket is an Antidote, and only cures poison. It doesn't decrease tiredness. Poison damage is 8 HP per hour. First the 4 HP hourly regen goes off, then poison damage.

Correct me if I missed it, but Zannosuke, you never mentioned how the Crest Guardian's core increases Musashi's level limit. It would've been cool to do some more off-screen grinding to get all of Musashi's experience bars up to 8:99, when they're flashing, so when you grabbed Skullpion's core, everything would level up to 9 at once.

Usually, that's what I would do to save time, but didn't do it this time, due to time constraints. How ironic.

Gim52a posted:

The maid actually teaches you your first technique, and it's been so long since I played this game that I completely forgot about Hawker Steakwood too.

drat, I totally forgot she does that!

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
Hey guys what's up!

Just a quick apology for not updating recently. I've been bogged down by a combination of a new job and Skyrim (Y'all can blame Lizard Wizard for that second one. That Oblivion LP is too good!).
Also, I've upgraded my version of Fraps, which records in one contiguous video instead of, like thirteen smaller ones. Score one for easier editing!! Hopefully, I can have an episode ready by tomorrow.

Later.

SSNeoman posted:

Not at all. People just love puns and theme naming. Like remember Megaman? He was Rock(man) in the JP version. Which is why his sister was named Roll, his rival was name Blues, his anti-self was named Forte (whose dog was named Gospel) and so on.

In Starforce 3, the main villains are Dealer whose members are Mr. King, QueenVirgo, JackCorvus, Heartless and Joker (the black dude in my avatar). They create the bosses SpadeMagnes, DiamondIce and ClubStrong.

I think every JP game company does this.

Yeah, some do, some don't. The theme naming thing is actually pretty common, especially in manga/anime. Speaking of naming things, I'd thought I'd share a bit of localization genius with you guys.

In this game, the Five Scrolls are Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, and Sky, right? Musashi describes in his book "The Book of Five Rings" (his preachings on war, overall strategy, fighting techniques, and philosophy that I REALLY want to get my hands on) the five elements of battle being based on the Buddhist elements of Earth, Water, Fire, Wind and the Void/Nothing. Now, this game is aimed towards kids; what average 6-10 year old kid would get the concept of a void? See, the hangup is the word itself: Void. I can honestly admit that 8-11 year old me would have never gotten what that word meant. However, there is exists a void that every kid is very familiar with: the Sky. And thus, the meaning of Void is accurately conveyed: an empty space. This fact really hit home when I started playing the not-so-great sequel to this game, in which the five swords you collect are, you guessed it, Earth, Water, Fire, Wind and Void.

Now, I don't know what the fifth scroll is named in the Japanese version. Hell, I could be completely off the mark about why they named the last scroll "Sky", but I thought I'd just share my reasoning with you guys.

Later.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Mazed posted:

If I recall, there's reasons they used 'Sky' because it's related specifically to what circumstances the scroll is obtained under. It could of course just be a translation thing too, but it fits, and doesn't go against the Book of Five Rings theme.

Also, the Book of Five Rings is best read in the voice of this game's Musashi, as opposed to some gravelly wise old sensei that most people probably imagine.

But then, the real life Musashi was basically the closest real-world thing to an 'adventurer' as defined by modern fantasy that there has ever been (particular the 'big dumb fighter' type), and this is hilarious.

I just did a bit of a wiki-walk and I found that the kanji for Void, as it pertains to the Buddhist Elements, can also be read as Sky or Heaven. So, I guess I was close? v:v:v

Also the on fighter thing: he's seems pretty smart and well rounded. He practiced his brushwork with as much effort and skill as he did with his sword, and he's got war-strats out the wazoo.(Know your battle-field, master your movements, try not use the same weapon/moveset repetitively, ect.) It's why I want to read his book so badly; you can still apply these philosophies to certain aspects of life/competition and still have it work.

Can't wait read the Book of Five Rings in mini-Musashi's voice. :xd:

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Miyamoto gave no fucks.
The duel with Kojiro is still one of my favorite storiea out of japanese history/legend since it involves him hopping off a boat with a large gently caress off wooden stick, killing a master swordsman with it then quickly hopping back on the boat so the guys disciples couldnt catch him.

Hop bonk hop.

It was less a big wooden stick, more of a wooden sword carved out of an oar. Would've been like getting hit with sword-shaped baseball bat. The legend about his duel with Kojiro is pretty hilarious, especially since I have this picture in my head of Musashi having the most :smug: expression while sailing away.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Rangpur posted:

In retrospect, it's shocking this LP got to page 3 without someone posting the Hark! A Vagrant! comic on him:

by Kate Beaton

So should we take this as permission to talk about the historical Musashi? Or at least how he's portrayed in Japanese pop culture. At this point sorting one from the other is like arguing the details of Robin Hood's biography.

:cawg:
Oh, how did I miss this wonderful thing?

As for real life or pop-culture Musashi, yeah, go nuts.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Star Man posted:

My favorite thing about this game is its theme. The same melody is in so much of the game's score that I think that you can hear it in one way or another in more tracks than not.

Yep, can't beat a good leitmotif. Games don't really do leitmotifs anymore, and that makes me sad. When it's properly done, it adds so much character to a game, and can tie sections together really well.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
Hey guys, here's a quick update for ya;
I've already recorded the next part of the lp. However, in my efforts to show you everything possible in this game, I accidentally loaded a save state.

It was about an hour behind where I was. Oh, did I mention that I hadn't saved while doing this? :cripes:

So annoyed right now.

Also, remember when I said that you needed to rescue four people to beat the game? Yeah, it's actually six. I'll explain in the video when I post it.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New episode up!!!

Episode 4, Part 1: Off-Kilter

Another one with loads of exposition.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

The music must have tipped him off. :v: This always feels like the chapter with the most text, and most of it unvoiced at that. Now that you're at Chapter 3, I'll have to get off my rear end and record one or two short videos for tricks/extras pertaining to this section. I'll save 'em until you've covered the parts where they're doable, of course.

One thing about sword techniques: most of them, including Dashing Pierce and Crosswise Cut, aren't usable if Musashi is over 90% Tired, poisoned, or has some other status effect.

And you complain about "artificial game-lengthening," but BFM is such a short game already. Or maybe I'm just used to blazing through it, I dunno. You can get Misteria between talking to Wid and its blooming time the next day if you really book it though.

The part about getting Misteria isn't that bad, since at best you grab it the next day, or at worse the day after that with a short nap. In fact, this is one of my favorite chapters in the game, for reasons I'll explain in the next couple of videos. The only part really gets under my skin, is fixing the goddamn gondola. Too easy to guess wrong what gear you need first time around.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

MartianAgitator posted:

It sounds like you are saying "som-a-lint." Just add an "n" sound so it becomes "som-na-lint." It means sleepy.

It's worth pointing out that the Crosswise Cut is basically the completely upgraded version of the normal Lumina attack. The regular Lumina attack has a huge wind up and the Cut basically replaces that vulnerable time with another attack. Does it do more damage than the regular attack too?

Yes. It sometimes doubles Lumina's striking damage, and should definitely replace the basic Lumina attack in your repertoire. The next episode is a bit of a doozy to set up though; this was the part accidentally loaded that save state on, so there's a bit of a time skip. I've got it planned out though.

zerosix posted:

I've always been curious why this game never made it to the PSN store.

I have a question. I have always found BFM a very unique game, and I've been wondering if any resent games that emulates its gameplay at all. (assimilation, metroid like world, ect.)

I'm wondering if I'm going to have to boot up the emulator for the nostalgia trip or not.

To be honest, the only games I could think could of off the top of my head would be anything from The Legend of Zelda series OoT and on(and any clones thereof). But I don't know of any game that directly emulates this type of gameplay. I say, boot away.

Quoting myself earlier in the thread:

Zannosuke posted:

Also, what the hell, Sony?! Why is this game not on PSN anywhere but Japan?!:argh:

No idea.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
Hey guys!
Sorry about the delay of this episode. Real life called; they wanted their money back. Anyway, episodes should be coming out at a decent click, maybe once or twice a week time permitting.

Here's the new episode!!

Episode 4, Part 2: Flower Power

And because of a certain post on this thread, here's something a little extra:

Special: Rules of Musashi

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Zeikier posted:

I think the worst platforming section is the bone swings in Twinpeak. The hitbox on that is wonky as all hell and you can't just hold to the right to catch the next one. It's manageable, but still awkward.

On the bone swings, just jump off while pressing no directions, and Musashi will literally fall right on top of the next one. Makes it easy once you get used to it.

With the D-pad, you can't start running at full speed right away (when dust clouds come off Musashi's feet), and letting go of the direction while running always results in a skid. With an analog stick, Musashi can dash right away and stop on a dime.

She's got a point. When I skidded off that platform in the mines, I had switched over to D-Pad to make that jump easier for myself. Though, I'm not certain whether or not Musashi skids on landing with just the D-Pad. I'll test it and let y'all know tomorrow.

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 24, 2014

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New episode up!!

Episode 4, Part 3: Dual Possibilities

I apologize for the melodrama near the middle of the video. I dunno what happened.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
For those of you who gave feedback, I appreciate it. I'm always looking for ways to improve my LP's. I'll be honest, that last episode should have been shorter. Thankfully, the next episode will be more action-y for us, so yeah. Hang tight.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New episode up!!

Episode 5, Part 1: Baking Under the Influence (of Porkchops)

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 1, 2014

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Gildiss posted:

Baking Under the Influence (of pork chops)

If you don't mind, I'm gonna steal this title. It's too brilliant.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Glazius posted:

"Bowl" is a pretty great special ability. I'm hoping you don't have to cart it all around the world looking for cracked walls, though.

No,no,no. Powers are grouped into two different use categories: general use (usually attack powers), or special occasion (the thing you need to use it for is right there or close by.) As people posted earlier, the game does a fantastic job with power locations. There is never an occasion where a power from one area needs to be used to progress in an entirely different one. That's reserved for the Five Scrolls and L-Armor pieces.

Should have an episode or two up later on today.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
New episode up!!
Episode 5, Part 2: Stuffed in the Darkness

I tried a new rendering style. Tell me if the slight motion blur in the video is too much.

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010

Nidoking posted:

I don't know what improvement you were hoping for, if any, but that video quality is terrible, and I say this as someone who still has copies of old LPs that I rendered in DivX and passed through Viddler's encoder. If it's not too late, you might want to redo this video in the old style so it's viewable, and never do whatever you just did ever again.

Duly noted. I was trying mute the color saturation (because it's a bit too high), but ended up continually causing motion blur. I'll go to the Tech Support Fort to try to fix this admittedly minor issue, but only show the results if it succeeds.

Fixed version will be posted in an hour or so.

Zannosuke fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 14, 2014

• Locked thread