Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Oh hell yes. This game absolutely rules.

Well, except in some parts. But we'll get past those.

I was one of those people who got it with pretty much just the FF8 demo in mind. Brave Fencer Musashi ended up being the better game by far. It's patently hilarious, and definitely a product of Square when it was at its best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

This game is the best. I really miss the Saturday morning cartoon vibe you got from a lot of PSX games.

For years I thought a palanquin was some kind of headache medicine.

This and Mega Man Legends are the shining examples for their respective consoles of this good old style. And they could make stuff like this again so incredibly easily, yet instead it's either overly serious, or if it's that cutesier anime style, always with some skeevy fanservice element played up. Fuckin' new games man. :corsair:

It's pretty obvious that the localizers played fast and loose with the script, but I love how these rather familiar-sounding voice actors just roll with it.

Also, these characters were all designed by Tetsuya Nomura.

What happened, man. what happened

yeah final fantasy happened

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

So I was jamming out to the soundtrack to this game, which rules. Also, may be the only game OST which makes regular use of a theremin.

MentholsNBeer posted:

Loved this game when I was a kid. Can't wait to get a Musashi avatar from this thread somehow to sum up my feelings on life. See if you can get everything from the toy store!

Seeing the LP, I'm realizing that there's a lot about this game that I didn't remember (not a bad feeling at all), but the toy store is not one of those things.

Getting all the action figures is something you just do in this game. It's unthinkable to ever consider otherwise.

macfam posted:

Haha this game is great, it's like Metal Gear Rising for the PlayStation 1.

I mean once that giant robot appeared I started hearing "RULES OF NATURE" in my head. Even the princess being kidnapped by a cocky Southerner reminded me of the prologue of Revengance.

Ahahahahaha, holy poo poo

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Something neat to note is that this is one of the very first console games to feature extensive voice acting. While everyone's obviously pretty cartoony, it's remarkably competent for what it is, and sets precisely the tone it ought to.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

See, Wanda first noticed Musashi's huge sideburns and eyebrows (both signs of virile manliness, without a doubt) but it became apparent he was a kid when he opened his mouth. But by then she had committed to the act.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Steamwood drove me loving insane.

The game's difficulty remains mostly steady throughout, but there are spikes, sometimes accompanied by abrupt gameplay changes. Some, though, are pretty fun.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

True to form for 90s localizations, Bubbles, Gingerelle, and Flatski aren't the Japanese names of those characters we just met. Respectively, they were originally Brandy, Liquor, and Tequila.

Who the hell even knows what "Thirstquencher" and "Allucaneet" and all the rest of these names were. But, who even cares. These ridiculous names are a beautiful thing.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

If I recall, there's reasons they used 'Sky' because it's related specifically to what circumstances the scroll is obtained under. It could of course just be a translation thing too, but it fits, and doesn't go against the Book of Five Rings theme.

Also, the Book of Five Rings is best read in the voice of this game's Musashi, as opposed to some gravelly wise old sensei that most people probably imagine.

But then, the real life Musashi was basically the closest real-world thing to an 'adventurer' as defined by modern fantasy that there has ever been (particular the 'big dumb fighter' type), and this is hilarious.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Miyamoto gave no fucks.
The duel with Kojiro is still one of my favorite storiea out of japanese history/legend since it involves him hopping off a boat with a large gently caress off wooden stick, killing a master swordsman with it then quickly hopping back on the boat so the guys disciples couldnt catch him.

Hop bonk hop.

This story is why I love comparing him to the big dumb fighter archetype.

It's such a loving D&D move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

MartianAgitator posted:

The Book of Five Rings is basically a treatise on how to be a Bruce Willis character (never open your eyes more than halfway, be a hardass to everyone) and a bunch of combat maneuvers that aren't interesting because they are plain and obvious. It has one called, I think, the "Bloody Vines Strike" that is just getting your opponent to fall over the environment. Tactical genius, huh?

If you want to read old Asian literature, skip Book of Five Rings, Art of War and the Tale of Genji and go straight to Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and make it a newer translation. And watch Red Cliff before reading it.

No, no. You should read the Book of Five Rings just so you have the mental image of this grizzled hairy muscleman (or spikey-haired anime kid, either works) sitting very solemnly in the candlelight with some incense burning and maybe some koto music playing somewhere off to the side, painstakingly calligraphing his wisdom; "You should always practice with the biggest swords you can find and also two of them, one for each hand because you have two hands and that is perfect for two swords (big swords). You must consider this carefully."

• Locked thread