Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

SSNeoman posted:

The Thirstquencher Empire? :psyduck: Why're they called that?

The bad guys are named after non-alcoholic, family-friendly drinks in the English version. And that's not the only thing the localizers had to change to get an E Rating. I much prefer Brave Fencer over Samurai Legend, as the former was a lot easier for me to get into gameplay-wise. And I'm bad at 3D action games without fixed camera angles.

Zannosuke, I wanted to do this LP eventually, but you beat me to it. So I'll just cling to your thread like a hungry, factoid-spouting leech. Looking forward to more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

You're right about Mind being slowest to max out. BFM's the only game where I had to run around to grind a stat. Fusion and Lumina are a breeze in comparison, as they don't rely on kills, but strikes on enemies, whether they're lethal or not. Using the Counter move seems to rack up sword experience pretty fast, too.

Now that Zannosuke's visited Mannick's Restaurant, I can mention some trivia! :eng101: In the Japanese version, Mannick's doesn't serve food, just alcohol. Every menu item, except for the Juice at the top, was changed for the English release. Also, Musashi can only buy Juice in the Japanese version, because he's underage. The food's an interesting localization change, if a little redundant, what with the bakery, grocery, free healing at the castle, and some other restorative options. But the real point of Mannick's is the card game, anyway, so.

Also, don't you need to rescue a few more castle members to beat the game? Even if you know what to do without them, I think the game makes you collect them anyway.

Next episode's probably gonna be the part where about half the people who played this game gave up! :haw:

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Zannosuke posted:

You actually just touched on something I forgot to show, and rediscovered while grinding a bit on Twinpeak. That'll be shown a couple of episodes from now. But, as far as I remember, there's no one left that you're required to rescue, except perhaps the librarian or weaver in the basement. I am running this thing memory blind, so forgive me.:sweatdrop:

I'm going off a rough memory of minimum required rescues from when I used to speedrun the game, myself. :shobon: I don't think the librarian or weaver are required to finish the game, even if the second one is handy to rescue anyway. But if you forgot the path through Meandering Forest to Frozen Palace, I will judge you. :colbert:

You said it's been like 4 years since you last played this, right? I think your videos could be improved with a practice run before the actual recording session. Unless you're already doing that.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Your video goes black for about a minute starting at 14:55, then again at 17:54 for a couple seconds, but I can still hear the game audio and your commentary. What went wrong?

Zannosuke posted:

You do remember that the weaver will give you a bonus piece of Legendary Armor, right?

Yeah, that's why she's handy. ;)

The L-Brace is called the Strongman Brace in the Japanese version. The other pieces of legendary armor, instead of being L-This or L-That, also refer to a specific type of person in that version.

And yay, Steam-out-the-scrubs-wood! There are two types of BFM players: those who beat Steamwood at this point, and those who didn't. The jumps that Valve 3 etc. make you do are a real killer, though. The sides of the pipes you're supposed to jump on are slanted, so you can slide off and mess up your timer if you're not careful. Those jumps were always more tense for me than the valve-turning minigames.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

As long as time is still passing in-game, Musashi will get tired and regen HP as usual during boss fights. The herb in the basket is an Antidote, and only cures poison. It doesn't decrease tiredness. Poison damage is 8 HP per hour. First the 4 HP hourly regen goes off, then poison damage.

Correct me if I missed it, but Zannosuke, you never mentioned how the Crest Guardian's core increases Musashi's level limit. It would've been cool to do some more off-screen grinding to get all of Musashi's experience bars up to 8:99, when they're flashing, so when you grabbed Skullpion's core, everything would level up to 9 at once.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Mazed posted:

True to form for 90s localizations, Bubbles, Gingerelle, and Flatski aren't the Japanese names of those characters we just met. Respectively, they were originally Brandy, Liquor, and Tequila.

Who the hell even knows what "Thirstquencher" and "Allucaneet" and all the rest of these names were. But, who even cares. These ridiculous names are a beautiful thing.

Thirstquencher was Liquor Barrel, and Allucaneet was Yakuiniku, a slightly altered form of yakiniku. The word's used for Japanese fried meat, and Korean barbecue. So, BBQ Kingdom.

And Rootrick was Bordeaux. :eng101:

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

I found an LP of the Japanese version of BFM, and it's Sky.

The real Musashi Miyamoto was such a great swordsman that he never died in battle. Cancer did that instead. :v:

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Seiren posted:

I was wondering if there was a way to get those images out of the game, or if they'd already been ripped and hosted up somewhere. I'd love to have them and make a nifty cool power-up poster to hang on my wall sometime.
I've gone through like a dozen image-ripping programs for PSX games, but I found no way to get the Assimilate ability images from the game files. :( They're really great, too.

But I did rip every single voice file! :haw: There's a lot more voice-acting in the first two chapters than in most of the rest of the game.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Musashi posted:

I have a bad feeling something is wrong with the village.
The music must have tipped him off. :v: This always feels like the chapter with the most text, and most of it unvoiced at that. Now that you're at Chapter 3, I'll have to get off my rear end and record one or two short videos for tricks/extras pertaining to this section. I'll save 'em until you've covered the parts where they're doable, of course.

One thing about sword techniques: most of them, including Dashing Pierce and Crosswise Cut, aren't usable if Musashi is over 90% Tired, poisoned, or has some other status effect.

And you complain about "artificial game-lengthening," but BFM is such a short game already. Or maybe I'm just used to blazing through it, I dunno. You can get Misteria between talking to Wid and its blooming time the next day if you really book it though.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Zannosuke posted:

The part about getting Misteria isn't that bad, since at best you grab it the next day, or at worse the day after that with a short nap. In fact, this is one of my favorite chapters in the game, for reasons I'll explain in the next couple of videos. The only part really gets under my skin, is fixing the goddamn gondola. Too easy to guess wrong what gear you need first time around.

Personally, Chapter 3's my least favorite, due to a certain fight later on. It does have a lot of good points, though. Chapter 5 might be my favorite one, but I can't really pin down why. I made it a point to remember which is the right gear, because making a mistake there is as annoying as you said.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

zerosix posted:

I've always been curious why this game never made it to the PSN store.

I have a question. I have always found BFM a very unique game, and I've been wondering if any resent games that emulates its gameplay at all. (assimilation, metroid like world, ect.)

I'm wondering if I'm going to have to boot up the emulator for the nostalgia trip or not.

I always got a Secret of Mana vibe from BFM, if we're comparing it to other games. Hell, your weapons even level up! Maybe try Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, or Legend of Mana.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

I actually had fun platforming in the mines. Maybe I just found a rhythm for it. Learning how not to skid using analog stick movement really helps here (if you only had the basic PSX controller's D-pad, you had to deal with it).

The spot where the Antidote Worms fall down constantly is great for grinding. Just stand in the right place and mash away.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Star Man posted:

Is my problem really that I play with the d-pad instead of analog sticks?
With the D-pad, you can't start running at full speed right away (when dust clouds come off Musashi's feet), and letting go of the direction while running always results in a skid. With an analog stick, Musashi can dash right away and stop on a dime.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

She. :eng101: And you can still skid with the analog stick if you don't hold it just so when you land or stop running.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

I think you can get up to where Aqualin is after you get the Earth Scroll. But you can't gather it until that event in Chapter 3 to save Tim. Afterwards though, you can go back up and get Aqualin whenever; it heals Poison and restores 10 HP.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Gloves! Musashi is too old for a security blanket.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

The quilt is useless if you don't get hit :smug:

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Looks like it's time for me to go record that one thing I mentioned a million years ago! Now that you've gotten the Water Scroll, I mean.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Nidoking posted:

And the money is for buying toys. You buy a couple of Cheeses at the start of the game to be full heals at the end, and then make do with whatever healing items you find along the way. At least, that's how I always played the game. My toy collection speaks for itself.

Spoken like a pro. :smuggo: Best part is, it doesn't even take that long for Cheese to max out. I think even if you're speedrunning, Cheese still heals a ton at the end.

But would you still want to use it if they hadn't localized Cheese from the original item, Natto Beans?

They're already fermented! And the older they get, the stinkier they become! DELICIOUS.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

As I understand it, you have to start eating natto at a very young age to get used to it. It's very stinky, but good for you.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Zain posted:

Not sure about fermented soy, but normal soy when it breaks down produces an estrogen like substance in your body. So it's more good for women then men (and could be somewhat damaging for a man if eaten too much of). So maybe it's not the case with natto but just the good stuff?

...[citation needed] Where do I even start. How about here.

Natto's benefits include vitamin C, vitamin K, and fiber.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

The game is 90s shonen-anime as hell. When you know the Japanese version's protagonist shares a voice actress with this guy

it can't be intended as anything else.

Also, replacing Baker Towst's booze with wormy pork chops makes the game even goofier.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

I talked about it forever ago, but I finally recorded it: how to get the L-Vest early. (click for 12-second video)

Not too difficult, just requires a little precision. The church bell respawns on the last dry area it landed on if it hits the water, and getting the bell in the right position is half the battle.

EDIT: Relic Keeper VS. Early L-Vest. There's a little dissolve in the second phase because I got a call during the recording.

How Ingratiating! fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Pressing Triangle or Square while the Water Scroll is active makes you shoot bubbles instead. So I switched back to Normal to instantly end scroll activation, so I wouldn't have to wait. This was talked about upthread, as Zannosuke waited during his Relic Keeper fight instead of switching.

• Locked thread