Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Since this thread has been getting some posts (and shitposts) I'll mention that my essay on how Under the Skin is about how the US government was behind the crack cocaine epidemic took first place in this year's Subtext Game contest. Anyone who wants to denigrate this movie clearly does not share my vision and could stand to rewatch it in this light. All of this year's contributions can be found here because I don't know how to link it specifically all of the essays were worthy contenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is the book any better? Also is it any less artsy?

I enjoyed both the book and movie but they have entirely different tones. The book is told from the perspective of the alien species and everything they do is presented very matter-of-factly.

SardaTheSage
Sep 1, 2003

Use this ROD behind the Vampire's room. Hiding deep inside you will find the cause of the earth's rot.
Earlier in the thread someone asked about silent movies, or nearly silent movies.

I saw the last third of a movie once that seemed post apocalyptic, perhaps filmed after the sixties but before the nineties, seemed English, and had little talking.

I would like to know if anyone knows the name of it, but I only saw the final scenes.

I can say there was one scene where some kids and an old lady are watching some child-targeted educational television, and the old lady is the only one mouthing/singing along to the alphabet.

The scenes I saw followed a young lady traveling around a country side. She gets raped. Becomes pregnant. Delivers the baby. It's stillborn, or deformed, or both. She screams loudly, movie ends. Her screaming was shocking juxtaposition for the films quiet tone.

SardaTheSage fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 19, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I'm certain you're thinking of Threads.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

VROOM VROOM posted:

Since this thread has been getting some posts (and shitposts) I'll mention that my essay on how Under the Skin is about how the US government was behind the crack cocaine epidemic took first place in this year's Subtext Game contest. Anyone who wants to denigrate this movie clearly does not share my vision and could stand to rewatch it in this light. All of this year's contributions can be found here because I don't know how to link it specifically all of the essays were worthy contenders.

This is definitely a pro read, it convinced me. :)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I really didn't feel this movie at all. I had heard so much about its creepy atmosphere and thought it would be deeply unsettling in a good way, but I was mostly just bored. The only scene that really grabbed me was the shot of her two victims underneath the liquid, where we see what really happens to them. The actual scenes of her luring them to their doom had great music, but the completely pitch black room felt to me like I was looking at a shot of a mostly CGI movie where they hadn't filled in the background yet. I know it's supposed to look "alien" but I thought it was just kind of silly.

Then her change and development of emotion just sort of happens and we get a sort of dragging act of her becoming more human. Finally, the ending was kind of goofy to me. Everyone handles fear differently, but if I was running away from some paranormal creature in the woods, I sure as hell wouldn't run back with gasoline. Then we get that "arthouse mic drop" last shot that somebody mentioned earlier.

Just my two cents. It's been interesting reading the interpretations from you guys who liked it, but personally I wish I had watched just about anything else.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The point of the black backdrop is to emphasize the intimacy of a sexual encounter. When you make love to your partner, it really is "only them" that exists - everything else is irrelevant.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i still feel like maybe i watched the movie differently than some people because whenever anyone talks about how artsy or abstract it is all i can think is that the movie has basically just a slightly more highbrow version of Species. sexy alien lady seduces and murders lonely men, whattaya need a roadmap?

I felt this. Film had incredible sound design, but was otherwise pretty humdrum. Scarjo did a good job.

Vermain posted:

The point of the black backdrop is to emphasize the intimacy of a sexual encounter. When you make love to your partner, it really is "only them" that exists - everything else is irrelevant.

What about the headboard of the bed, huh champ?

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 1, 2015

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i still feel like maybe i watched the movie differently than some people because whenever anyone talks about how artsy or abstract it is all i can think is that the movie has basically just a slightly more highbrow version of Species. sexy alien lady seduces and murders lonely men, whattaya need a roadmap?

I didn't know anything about it when I first saw it, and for some reason I couldn't put it together. I thought it was some surrealist metaphor or something :(

When someone told she was an alien right after, I instantly understood the whole thing completely, and felt so stupid.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I mean, it largely is an extended metaphor. The whole "alien gourmand" thing (which is only very vaguely hinted at - the film's got only a tenuous connection to the book proper) is a paper-thin premise for an exploration of inner/outer identity and what (if any) separation exists between the two. The basic plotting isn't what made me enjoy the film. Rather, it was the effective use of visual imagery to convey its core themes. The establishing shot of Scarlet Jo in the mall was perfect: no one looks at her the entire time she's walking through it. The only crowd she's in during the entire film, and she may as well be invisible. It establishes that she's "alien" without requiring her to mangle the English language or zip up her human suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cacator posted:

I enjoyed both the book and movie but they have entirely different tones. The book is told from the perspective of the alien species and everything they do is presented very matter-of-factly.

The book was also really good and while I didn't dislike the movie, I wish that somebody out there would make a straightforward adaptation of it. Preferably someone like David Cronenberg.

• Locked thread