Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I'm a little surprised this is on the second page of the forums because I just came back from the movie and I am just blown away. This is one of the best things I've ever seen.

And it's honestly not scary at all. There are some really unsettling and disturbing parts, but nothing that should have you hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Coaaab posted:

Yeah, if you're into heady, aurally-dominating sci-fi like 2001, Solaris, Beyond the Black Rainbow, and Upstream Color, this is an absolute must-see, the film you've been waiting for this year. Look, here's a list of theaters currently playing the movie, so just go, just go. It has the best opening sequence I've seen since... I guess Melancholia, and then after an hour it sort of loses momentum until that stunning final sequence...
I found the ending profoundly upsetting, and it's such a testament to both Glazer & ScarJo that the extent of my empathy for such foreign creature was so gradually calibrated that it actually made me queasy.

Yes, the ending was definitely upsetting. This movie is astounding.

Also, do you have any insight into the opening scene? I didn't really understand it but it's probably because I'm a dummy :(

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Swabbleflange posted:

I took it as the creature essentially being constructed. The coming together of what ultimately becomes a human eyeball - along with the rest of the body, I assume, and the repeated practise and refinement of speech until it's good to go.

Three of those being favourite films of mine, I just checked out Beyond the Black Rainbow, which I never would have bothered with based on its Netflix picture and blurb. Outstanding. I was in love with it in the first five minutes, it ticks so many boxes for me. Thanks for mentioning it in context with those others.

That makes total sense and thanks for more info on Beyond the Black Rainbow; can't wait to see that one!

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You're leaving out the crucial interaction in the film though: Picking up The Elephant Man.

And being lit on fire.

• Locked thread