Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Went to go see this Thursday here in NYC. I saw one trailer for it in theaters about a month ago which didn't reveal much and one of my friends had seen it who said he liked it so I figured why the hell not.

It's definitely the type of film that I appreciate more than I actually enjoy but I did find it to be very enthralling. The visuals are breathtaking and the soundtrack is so mesmerizing. I'm listening to it now again on Spotify and it's creeping me out in the best way possible.

I absolutely love the less is more approach to dialogue. I remember reading an interview with Nicolas Winding Refn where he said he wanted to do a completely silent film and it was evident when I saw Only God Forgives. Maybe someone can give me a good recommendation for films with very little or no dialogue at all?

Scarlett Johansen is not someone I typically identify with being a good actor but she played the part extremely well. Her motivation behind turning good was a little odd for me and the scenes with her and the dude who takes her in were the low points of the film for me. The ending, as others have said, was incredible. Again, don't tell/show more than you have to and leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I had intended on replying to this thread during the whole foot fetish theory and I'm sorry to stir it up again after it's died down, but I do have a (mild) foot fetish and I don't recall a single aspect of the film making any kind of big deal about ScarJo's feet or anything. I'm sure I would have noticed it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Your "one minute version" is actually pretty sound and kind of entertaining. While you see it as a criticism I think that it holds up just fine. You're also forgetting the entire last act of the film.

And also, why the hell would you waste your time watching Jennifer's Body anyway? Yeesh

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

johntfs posted:

For my part, I think Jennifer's Body trod much of the same ground as Under the Skin (inversion of predator/prey roles in terms of male and female) but Jennifer's Body did it with more humor and less pretention.

Did you blindly wander into a theater that just so happened to be showing Under the Skin or did you go see it just so you could catch a glimpse of ScarJo's BOOBS BRO!!!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

An SMG post that isn't comparing the film to Terminator 2 or The Phantom Menace? I'm confused. But I like it.

• Locked thread