Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Jet posted:

Also a fun thing to keep in mind is that many of the people that Laura picks up weren't even told it was for a movie (or that they were picked up by Scarlett Johansson) until they arrived at the destination, so their reactions are completely earnest.

I didn't know this going in, and I am glad that I didn't. Definitely echoing not knowing anything before you go to see this movie.

I saw it at TIFF and I was blown away. At that point I hadn't seen anything by Jonathan Glazer (I've since watched Birth which I greatly enjoyed) and I really had no idea about the movie. It was sort of a happy coincidence that I even went to see it.

I highly recommend going to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

DammitJanet posted:

but it all seems like a lot of work just to make the statement that "women are treated differently than men". Not the most original concept, but kudos to him for using a sci-fi conceit to make that point.

I felt much more like he was exploring what it means to be human. At first it's just juxtapositions between human and alien, like on the beach, but we begin to see and feel it just as Scarlett Johansson does. I didn't really get the "women are treated differently than men" feeling at all, or at least it didn't seem to be the primary message of the film.

Though, you could still argue it's not an original concept. I just think it was done very well.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 17, 2014

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

DammitJanet posted:

I was referring to the SA review linked earlier in the thread. My bad.

Well, obviously my bad, I totally missed that, and it's certainly an interesting way to look at the film.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

King Geedorah posted:

Gotcha, I really loved the book and would hate to see it changed. Even then I guess I never expected them to make a film out of it so I can't really complain all that much. I'll give it a shot, but not gonna go in expecting anything as good as the book.

Glazer said in the Q&A after our screening that the book was simply the genesis of his inspiration for the movie. I wouldn't go into it considering it an adaptation.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

I wish I loved anything even half as much as the director loves Scarlett Jo's feet.

While I didn't like the movie while watching it, the Memento-like twist at the end really justified the Brechtian ordeal, so the pay-off was great.

What precisely was the Memento-like twist?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

I think the director thought it was erotic and was trying to express that to the audience, yes. I don't have a foot fetish, so I thought it was somewhere between jarring and hilarious. "Dude, look at these feet! So much better than breasts!" "Uhhhhh . . . OK man, whatever floats your boat . . ."

From your posts about it I have the impression you have a foot fetish more so than the director. I guess it depends on your perspective.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Well, Shbobbd, I think you and your girlfriend know what you need to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Slugworth posted:

So some of the shots were with random people who didn't know they were being filmed..........

Do they not have Scarlett Johannson in Scotland?

She had a wig on and it was dark. It's quite possible some people recognized her, but we wouldn't see that in the movie.

• Locked thread