Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
It doesn't surprise me, given my nerd-boner for surreal, arty sci-fi, that Under the Skin is easily my favorite film of 2014 so far. Though I recognize the necessity from a marketing perspective, it's so deliberately opaque that I almost wish I'd gone in knowing nothing whatsoever about the premise – this is a film whose narrative is almost entirely driven by images, with what little dialogue there is serving little to no expository purpose. It's beautiful, moving, and thought-provoking; it may be divisive now, but I'm confident this is a film people will still be discussing years – even decades – from now,

And while we all know Scarlett Johansson has given some less-than-memorable performances in the past, she deserves all the praise she's getting. Both here and in Spike Jonze's Her, she's taken potentially absurd premises and delivered acting that makes them believable (an interesting study in contrasts, as in Her Johansson never appears onscreen, whereas her performance here is almost entirely physical).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread