Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Eggnogium posted:

Speaking of the motorcycle man, what do people make of all the shots of him after Johansson's character goes rogue? At the time I assumed they were building to a climax where he found her and tried to kill or capture her, but since that didn't happen I'm not sure what to make of them.

I got the impression that you're right, but the cruelty of man gets to Scarlett first - we're meant to think there'll be a showdown, but Ranger Rapist gets to her first and immolates her. We get that one shot afterwards with the motorcycle man standing atop a hill or cliff, looking impotently for her; I got the impression that he lost her trail or whatever, or that he simply failed in his search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, that's kind of great.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

reading posted:

About an escape later in the film: How did the elephant man get out of the goo? I was confused by that but I assume it isn't something we're supposed to spend a lot of time theory crafting about.

Hijinks answered the second question, but as to your first: Johannson let the guy out of the goo after putting him in there, because she had a moment of guilt (due to the connection she'd formed with him in their first meeting). She's the one who lets him go, and the biker recaptures him anyway and starts chasing after Johannson, who's now gone rogue. It's the reason she goes on the run in the final act of the movie.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

precision posted:

I really liked this beautiful weird creepy movie but I have to say even when I looked for it I really did not see the foot fetish thing at all. :shrug:

Having just rewatched it again, I can't remember a single shot of feet (at least, ones that focused on feet).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Marketing New Brain posted:

As someone who seems to enjoy the idea of "becoming what you are pretending to be/being what you pretend to be" is that a large focus of this movie, or is that idea entirely peripheral to what this movie is about? The idea of an alien Mother Night sounds like it would be right up my alley, but what little I've read about the movie has been vague and the response to it has been polarizing.

I'd say the second half of the movie really tackles that subject, as once ScarJo decides to rebel against her purpose, she spends a lot of time trying to act/be human, to mixed results.

• Locked thread