Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

This has been playing in a few different cinemas in London, so I've been able to see it twice now, and I'm going to have to echo basically everything Professor Clumsy said in his review - I really really liked this film.

I'd honestly recommend going into the film knowing as little as possible, as I found it much more interesting working out what was happening and what was going to happen myself (the film does not feed you exposition or hand-hold you at all and assumes you're smart enough to put the pieces together and work it out for yourself).

The thing that impressed me the most about it is how totally not gratuitous it all was. In what could have been a very leery film that objectified it's lead actress (y'know, like Species), we get a film that very much shows you objectification, but never encourages you to participate in it and instead lets you see its damaging results. The main character is objectified by almost every other person she meets, she was created literally as an object for men to look at, and as we start to connect with her as the film goes on we see how her growth into something more human is repeatedly stopped by being treated as an object.

Scarlett Johannson's performance was amazing, for someone who is essentially playing an emotionless creature you are still able to empathise with her totally. There are a few scenes which consist just of her either staring into mirrors or out into space, and they're some of the best scenes in the film. And when she speaks, which she doesn't do very much, you get this really creepy sense of the falseness of what she's saying.

It's kind of a shame that a film that comes down this hard on objectification will probably always be known as "that one where ScarJo gets naked".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Pirate Jet posted:

Based on what I've heard - it hasn't opened near me yet - you never see her home planet, though you do see other aliens she works with, in their human forms.

To elaborate on this - You see four other members of her race, who are all disguised as bikers in full leathers. At the very end of the film you see her "true" form. You never see another planet.

• Locked thread