Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RealityApologist posted:

...I'm not interested in pop speculative futurism or idle technoidealism....

*spits out drink in laughter, falls to floor convulsing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Eripsa why don't you actually respond to the question of 'why is this necessary or beneficial in any way' instead of using rhetorical tricks to dodge it?

And as general advice you should probably answer that question to yourself every time you come up with a hare-brained techno-fetishist utopian pipe dream.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RealityApologist posted:

I'm happy to answer serious questions about this work. It's really important to me, and I've been fielding questions all over the internet about it almost continuously since I posted the proposal.

But the why question from R. Mute wasn't a sincere question. It was a troll, a knee jerk reaction like so many others have in this forum in response to me. It wasn't asked with an interest in a response, it was asked only to provoke a response. It's the why question of a child, and these questions have no satisfying answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJlV49RDlLE

I'm happy to respond to genuine questions, but I'm not going to feed trolls.

I don't know, I think "what pressing real world problem does this incredibly convoluted idea lifted straight out of a speculative sci-fi novel solve" is a reasonable question, but that's just me...

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Does someone have the backstory for Eripsa's AV? I'm mildly curious

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RealityApologist posted:

I'm getting bitched at because it's not in 5 paragraph composition format.

You're getting bitched at because you're loving insane

SedanChair posted:

No it's probably because this is e-marbles in cosbycoin drag.

much better put

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here a little bit, so bear with me.

The fundamental idea expressed here will not work because there's no way to ensure a Strangecoin account user is unique. This is essentially an unsolvable problem. However, this isn't a totally dumb idea (even if Eripsa's explanation is typical Eripsa). I really like the concept of using cryptocurrency in an entirely new fashion that distinguishes itself from ordinary currency by providing different incentives on behavior. By changing the way new currency is created, you could make an entirely new type of economy. For example, if Strangecoin actually worked, it would basically end cash savings. You'd flatten income inequality. Guaranteed income would be built into the currency itself, funded by creating new coins with the poor instead of straight to banks. Even if this particular example isn't workable, I'd like to see people smarter than me play around with variants of the broader concept.

There are people smarter than you with regards to economics, they're called economists. As far as I'm aware they prefer things like taxes and accounting to paradigm-changing crytocurrencies.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RealityApologist posted:

Traditional economics is like alchemy, and I'm like one of the early chemists before the periodic table or anything else was developed but who has a pretty good sense that alchemy is just bad methodology and that there's an alternative science just around the corner. And you all are like "but why should I believe in the atom" as if I'm heretical for suggesting alchemy needs some updating, and there's honestly nothing I can say to satisfy the lot of you. The only thing I can do is be earnest and try my best. It's never good enough, but I can't reasonably expect anything more.

holy poo poo i can't breathe send help

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

R. Mute posted:

I still haven't gotten an answer why this system should be implemented, so I'm just going to assume it's because normal currency and the normal economic system are triggering to autists.

ding ding ding ding ding

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zombywuf posted:

I don't think I've seen a cryptocurrency based on the idea of how paper money functions, they're based on the shiny rock principle.

It's because we already have a secure, stable, easily usable and robust currency, they're called Federal Reserve Notes*

*replace with Pounds Sterling or Euros as applicable

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 31, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zombywuf posted:

Who's 'we' yank?

fixed my post just for you

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rob Ford posted:

Wicked, got any stories about your mom banging young cock back in the day, and how her John's hardly spoke any English?

excellent post/username combo

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I dunno I don't think Eripsa is dumb per se, just delusional and 100% invested in the type of techno-fetishist thinking discussed in that other thread recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RealityApologist posted:

The consensus of the forum seems to be that if you aren't an expert then you shouldn't say anything. People are coming out to proudly admit how little they know about anything but their specific technical field, and admit to being clueless about how it fits in with the rest of science as if it is something to be proud of. I don't understand this sentiment at all.

No the consensus of this forum is that your idea about the attention economy is very nearly incoherent, is definitely impossible to implement, and more importantly, solves no real world problem, seems to have no real benefits whatsoever, and generally reeks of techno-fetishist utopianism.

Even if this is a thought experiment or whatever, you still haven't convinced anyone why this is actually worthwhile in any way or what problem it solves. What's the point of the marble economy? What I've gotten from your posts is that you think social networking and making relationships through technology is valuable, so we should encode that information into money, but that's not even an obvious statement.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 2, 2014

• Locked thread