Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That, and because you're an insane techno-fetishist with a history of denying he's an insane techno-fetishist while advocating insane techno-fetishism.

Just because someone feels that cyborg discrimination should be treated the same as discrimination against sexuality and race does not make someone an insane techno-fetishist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

the gently caress does immigration and customs enforcement have to do with this?

Why would customs enforcement be interested in international drug trafficking under the guise of legitimate imports? :iiam:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Oh I didn't think about that, but yeah if these things are endlessly divisible, you could manipulate the price inexpensively with buy orders for tiny fractions if you didn't allow too many to trade.

This sounds hilariously crooked, is there a place I can read the mtgox saga?

The sad thing about bitcoin is that in the scheme of things, Gox is so minorly crooked. They had one of the largest ripples though and the former owner sits all day posting pictures of his cat to Twitter to the chagrin of people who lost money.

edit:
There isnt much of a story to be honest. The site began ages ago as a M:TG Online trading site trading vietual cards. The owner closed it, and later gotbit by the bitcoin bug and reopened the site as an exchange using some of his old trading api.

Some time later, he sold it to Mark Kaerples, who reworked a lot of the trading platforms. Kaerples owned some server hosting and domain hosting services that took Bitcoin.

Around this time, the price for coins on Gox started to go up and they led the pricing for the rest of the market. There have been some trading trend analysis indicating that Gox was slowly inflating the price using bots, but it isnt anything definitive.

Mid 2013, Gox started to become financially insolvent. They delayed payments, their main payment processor ended their relationship, DHS seized control of a large chunk of their funds*. Despite this, the price continued to climb peaking just before Gox declared bankruptcy bankruptcy in January of 2014.

They declared bankruptcy because a large chunk of their reserve bitcoins could not be accounted for. They blame hackers.

Since then Kaerples posts pictures of his cat on Twitter and chills in Japan.

*-Caveat about the DHS seizure, the warrant was issued because of an affadavit of a secret service agent who is facing corruption charges. Said agent worked closely with DEA agent CARL MARK FORCE IV, who sent an email taunting Kaerples the day of the seizure for not hiring him as a security consultant. Force is also facing corruption charges.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 25, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

Where did the whole "Attention Economy" thing come from anyways? Whoever did develop the ideas, it sure has been latched on to by tons of pseudo-intellectual morons by this point.

Someone who doesn't have a whole lot of marbles.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's come up before, but anyone who'd like to experience what trying to mine/use bitcoins is like could do worse than the Advanced Bitcoin Simulator.

First I heard of it was one of Eripsa's first megaposts back years ago, but I've no idea where he got the idea from.

you forgot the sequel: http://bitcalc.beepboopbitcoin.com/

• Locked thread