Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Rob Ford posted:

This poo poo anti-fragile, OP?

This is a pretty masterful burn, but I can't tell if it's more an indictment of Nassim Taleb or Eripsa.

Good Citizen posted:

You're the equivalent of a guy who's stoned out of his mind somehow grabbing the mic at a theoretical physics conference and asking if maybe none of us really exist, maaaaaaaaan.

That's Eripsa's entire thing. It's like he read a Malcolm Gladwell book and thought, "Hey! I can write like that too!" but manages to approach his topics with somehow even less rigor than Gladwell. Then when people tell him they haven't the foggiest idea what the gently caress he's going on about he thinks it's like proof that what he's writing must be so complex and brilliant.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Which brings up the better question of why he even brings up "zero sum game" in the first place if it's just a strawman for him to knock over. The idea that value is created through trade is like one of the key underpinnings to the entire idea of economics that is laid out in detail in the key works that launched the discipline. It's like he's trying to reinvent economics from scratch instead of spending time doing real research. I guess it's a lot easier to vomit 1500 words into D&D than to actually read/understand a primer on economics.

Or maybe he's trying to write for people who don't know anything about economics? That could be true, but I can't imagine any of them getting a better sense of economics by reading anything written by Eripsa. It's all cargo-cult academic-style writing devoid of any real intellectual value.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 31, 2014

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Concerned Citizen posted:

I'm not a cryptocurrency advocate at all. I'm just saying that I am interested in the concept of alternative currencies that behave differently than ordinary currencies, and how that might impact economic behavior. The specific details, to me, about Strangecoin are irrelevant since we've all acknowledged it's a fundamentally unworkable idea. The broader theme of essentially changing the rules by modifying previously immutable properties (like the fact that your account balance goes down by $25 if you spend $25) of currency seems interesting to me. Yes, I'm not an idiot and I get that wealth generation can happen in a lot of different ways, but that doesn't really impact the overall point.

That's a function of banking and the larger economic system. That is not an inherent property of currency. Currency is just the instrument used to represent value. These kinds of transactions already happen in modern existing economies via monetary policy and fiscal policies that incentivize certain types of economic activity. Those kind of utopian ideas that involve this kind of strict regulation of the banking sector are workable with any existing fiat currency.

The price of milk is a good example. A person is paying a certain amount of money with the government picking up the tab on the rest. So a person might be spending $1.50, but receiving $2.00 worth of actual goods due to that fiscal policy of a milk subsidy. In our current economic system the money for that comes through taxes, but you could just as easily fund that program via new printed money. So the kind of situation that Eripsa treats as being wholly impossible in our current system actually happens all the time.

Once you have fiat currencies like the ones that already exist, the currency itself kind of ceases to be the issue. The issues that arise are who gets control of the printing press and other things like regulation of banks. This is part of why people are responding so negatively to Eripsa here, and why the response from a lot of people on the first page is, "So... why do we need a new currency?" He's conflating currency with banking with fiscal policy because he actually has no idea what the gently caress he's talking about.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 31, 2014

• Locked thread