Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Do I get to ask why? I promise I'm not being mean Eripsa, but if the money jumps up and down and all over the place based on "its creator sat down and did math until he thought the math meant Justice" why do I want any of it? Because it sounds cool?

(Note: this is not an admission that strangecoin sounds cool)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Eripsa "presentation" is not what makes something insane or not.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RealityApologist posted:

I'm getting bitched at because it's not in 5 paragraph composition format.

No it's probably because this is e-marbles in cosbycoin drag.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rob Ford posted:

Haha, I actually read some of the OP:

Today is the day you learn that you are literally dumber than a brick of poo poo.

He really does point out that value is created a little further down. It's actually a fun way to tell who read the whole thing or not.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Good Citizen posted:

Yep

I like how he uses the words accounting and bookkeeping several times while bemoaning his perception that no one is recording the value added in these transactions. He's got a point. It's not like there are any major intellectual disciplines or multi billion dollar industries designed to accurately measure and time the value of those transactions from every angle.

So yeah, he does address it but doesn't know a drat thing about what he's trying to address

But what if you could do it better, adaptively, dynamically? What if intellectuals could collaborate in real time? At the speed of thought?

Bro what if instead of sending gold coins with you, I wrote on a piece of paper that I'd pay gold coins to the bearer of the note? DYNAMICALLY

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RealityApologist posted:

Traditional economics is like alchemy, and I'm like one of the early chemists before the periodic table or anything else was developed but who has a pretty good sense that alchemy is just bad methodology and that there's an alternative science just around the corner. And you all are like "but why should I believe in the atom" as if I'm heretical for suggesting alchemy needs some updating, and there's honestly nothing I can say to satisfy the lot of you. The only thing I can do is be earnest and try my best. It's never good enough, but I can't reasonably expect anything more.

OK I actually got annoyed at this. But then I started really thinking about it and realized the power Eripsa has just awarded to us. We don't need to understand disciplines, we just need to dimly perceive that there's bad methodology going on (understanding of that methodology required: zero) and that something else is "around the corner." Then we're Newton!

With this in mind, I'd like to award myself the title of petroleum engineer, those guys make bank. I don't really have the background but I understand that oil is dirty and finite and something else like wind or rainbows is "just around the corner." Employ me BP! I no longer need the weirding module.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

I am having problems solving liquidity issues with CookieCoin. Please advise.

I'm looking forward to having this discussion. We can have this discussion.

*rides into sunset*

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

Who's 'we' yank?

You. Do you live on Earth?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Sometimes it makes me sad that people are going into debt to sit in a classroom listening to Eripsa. Or at least they used to. There's something broken in whole disciplines of academia.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pesmerga posted:

As an academic, I start rolling my eyes when people start going on about academics not being part of the real world, or just navel-gazing, etc etc, but RA, seriously, do you actually get funded in any way for this? I find the idea mildly disturbing.

He once posted a link to what he claimed was the first part of his dissertation. It was a bunch of word salad without citations. If he is actually in a program his advisor should face consequences for not nipping this poo poo in the bud.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh look.

quote:

1. Taking autonomous machines seriously

According to the US Department of Defense, as of October 2008 unmanned aircraft have flown over 500,000 hours and unmanned ground vehicles have conducted over 30,000 missions in support of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Over the past few years a number of government and military agencies, professional societies, and ethics boards have released reports suggesting policies and ethical guidelines for designing and employing autonomous war machines. In these reports, the word ‘autonomous’ is used more or less uncritically to refer to a variety of technologies, including automated systems, unmanned teleoperated vehicles, and fully autonomous robots. Describing such artifacts as ‘autonomous’ is meant to highlight a measure of independence from their human designers and operators. However, the very idea of autonomous artifacts is suspiciously paradoxical, and little philosophical work has been done to provide a general account of machine autonomy that is sensitive to both philosophical concerns and the current state of technological development. Without a framework for understanding the role human designers and operators play in the behavior of autonomous machines, the legal, ethical, and metaphysical questions that arise from their use will remain murky.

My project is to lay the groundwork for building an account of autonomous machines that can systematically account for the range of behavior demonstrated by our best machines and their relative dependence on humanity. Pursuing this project requires that we take autonomous machines seriously and not treat them as wide-eyed speculative fictions. As a philosophical project, taking autonomous machines seriously requires an address to the skeptic, who unfortunately occupies the majority position with respect to technology. The skeptic of machine autonomy holds that any technological machine designed, built, and operated by human beings is dependent on its human counterparts in a way that fundamentally constrains its possibilities for freedom and autonomy in all but the most trivial senses of the words.

In this chapter I respond to the skeptic in order to clear the ground for an account of machine autonomy. I will treat the Lovelace objection, cited in Turing’s famous 1950 discussion of thinking machines, as the clearest and strongest statement of machine autonomy skepticism (MAS). I argue that the Lovelace objection is best understood as a version of technological essentialism. Thus, a rejection of technological essentialism entails a rejection of MAS. In section 3 I survey some recent attempts to discuss the problem of autonomy as it arises in the robotics literature, and I argue that these treatments fail to adequately address the essentialism that grounds MAS. In section 4 I argue that the received interpretation of the Lovelace objection, which treats machine autonomy as an epistemological issue, likewise misses the force of her radical skeptical argument. I then argue that Turing’s original response to the Lovelace objection is best understood as an argument against artifact essentialism, and provides a uniquely adequate answer to the challenge. A proper understanding of Turing’s positive account will, I claim, provide a framework for thinking about autonomous machines that may generate practical, empirical methods for productively discussing the machines that inhabit our technological world. I conclude by arguing that developments in machine learning techniques within computer science accords with Turing’s understanding of the social integration of humans and machines.

9GAG in your diss: future's so bright, gotta wear shades Glass

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RealityApologist posted:

In the course of this research I put some significant effort into complexity theory and organization.

No you haven't, you've made it this far in life without even knowing what real effort is.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Your writing is perfectly clear, which reveals the emptiness and circularity of your ideas all the more.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

No wonder he's so unintelligible.

Now that's just unfair to philosophy grads. Eripsa's never actually shown that he has a grasp on the introductory literature (besides saying "I've actually spent a lot of time learning this stuff" and moving on to the next fugue).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RealityApologist posted:

The hostility in this forum has reached a point to where I'm excluded from commenting on any subject on which I'm not an expert. Unless I've obtained a phd in systems engineering I can't say anything on the organization of technical systems, and unless I have a degree in economics or accounting I can't say anything about currency, and if I'm not a expert in math then I can't talk about network diagrams. I think this is an unreasonable demand on anyone, especially in a public informal setting like the SA forums. I write in an academic style because that's my training and it's all I know how to do, but that doesn't mean that every word out of my mouth must be up to academic standards. I have more than enough knowledge in these areas to talk about something like strangecoin in a public forum, and for that discussion to be interesting and productive without having to lay out my credentials and motivations in every post. Again, these are just unreasonable demands on the conversation; no one could ever live up to them, especially me.

You've got a habit of making reference to your expertise and academic credentials, then acting like we're all just commenting on a cat video when the real PhDs show up.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RealityApologist posted:

I've not done any of those things. The strongest argument this thread has right now is that I'm a bad writer, which hardly makes me a crank.

Give an example of you genuinely engaging with anything anybody else has said, please.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

Hi, my factory in Taiwan needs 10,000 tons of steel by Monday. Can you spontaneously collect a network of friends to spontaneously facilitate this transaction post-haste?

Do you really need that steel though??? Challenge your preconceptions.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RealityApologist posted:

I haven't dismissed or ignored any experts. I'm not sure what you are even referring to.

Economists have told you you don't know anything about economics. Neuroscientists have told you that the parallels you draw between Twitter and the brain are stoner nonsense. Philosophy PhDs have told you that you don't have sufficient grounding in the discipline you purport to represent.

Without fail, every time an expert breaks you down and reveals you are full of poo poo you say that you're not supposed to be an expert, this is just a thought exercise and we're holding you to an unfair standard. And then you go back to posting pages of nonsense that doesn't even meet the standard of internal consistency. You are a loving crank. I feel bad for your students.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You seem to think saying "I'm sympathetic to your criticism" means that you get to just keep typing. Does your sympathy mean "never mind"? Somehow it doesn't, it means that even though your ideas have no value HAVE SOME MORE OF THEM! *backs up dump truck full of marbles*

Yes, you are blind. Cranks are blind.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Why put noise in to begin with? Like why have a thought, think "that's noise," then share it instead of keeping it to yourself?

Expecting people to listen to your noise is what crazy people do.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dusseldorf posted:

If you're flipping out with a little bit of light anonymous internet criticism I have bad news what academia is like.

I'd like to introduce a new cryptocurrency. Coin mining will be driven by the number of awkward silences at Eripsa's oral defense

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh my god it is Cookie Clicker.

e: Is there a reason that we want combo strings on money?

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 1, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

Okay, so I go to the bakery and want to buy a load of bread for one StrangeCoin. I pay one StrangeCoin, but two people are endorsing me for 50% of my expenses, so they also pay the baker an additional ha'coin each, and the baker nets two StrangeCoins.

Why???

The baker blinks at you moistly, his Glass alight with colored figures. He hands you a parcel of bread. "Thanks," you grunt in Sino-Chinook jargon.

Your endorsers watch, rapt with fervor, as you eat the bread.

>

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Why the gently caress is it irrelevant? If Stangecoin doesn't actually have a hope of working in anything resembling a real-world situation, what's the point?

He's implied multiple times that this is supposed to remove the need for corporations from society. Transition: not important though.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Eripsa I'm stoked that you're off to see Judith Butler. That ought to help you bring your abstruse, inchoate pop-theorizing down to earth.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
How about you do that but with the basic literature of economic theory? Seriously, so many of your ideas point to issues that are regularly explored and quantified by economists that you're doing yourself a disservice by failing to gain technical knowledge in that field. Whatever you've learned so far ain't cutting it.

e: VVV IOW

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RealityApologist posted:

I take this is an admission that a formalization of Diamond-age economics (or something similar) hasn't yet been done? Again, I've looked pretty hard, but I still find this hard to believe.

"Looking pretty hard" =/= reading books, apparently.

It's in there. You just have to read both of them from beginning to end. If you do that you will find it, I promise.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Some disciplines have become garbage. Others were created as garbage. This is the product of more people having the ability to finance degrees than the talent to pursue meaningful courses of study.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
No he's marinating in our criticisms without perceiving them or thinking about them. He's said many times that he believes coming in here and getting insulted somehow imparts strength to his ideas. It might be true if he ever made any changes to them, or if they had enough substance to be changed in the first place.

e: for example.

RealityApologist posted:

I mean maybe I write like poo poo and I'm out of my depth, and you can laugh at it all you want, but at some point this moves over into a kind of cyberbulling and identity stalking that just isn't cool.

It's out of respect for the rules and the mutually assured destruction that would result if goons started doxxing each other that we don't ruin your academic career. It's a serious ethical dilemma though, because some school is apparently sending young adults to you to be educated. That's alarming.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 2, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 2, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Adar posted:

If you retards hijack this thread away from Eripsa the terrorists will literally have won.

Eripsa: I have considered becoming an architect because I think that triangles are cool. Imagine an upside down triangle house. Wouldn't it be awesome to live in one of those? Let's transfer all of society over to upside down triangle houses ASAP. I may not know anything about engineering or design or urban planning or anything at all, but here's a 5000 word essay on HackerNews about it LOOK AT ME

There was a really great discussion on that HackerNews thread that got a lot of the up-front reaction and criticism out of the way. Some of it was pointless character assassination of course, e.g. "that will fall over" The idea isn't complete and there are obvious problems that need to be worked out. But given the reaction I've been seeing, the idea seems to be genuinely novel.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Forums Barber posted:

I am really amused between the confluence of "social networks will shape how all future society operates" and "hey what the gently caress man, just because i posted all my personal information it isn't cool for you to reference it"

RA, realize that if StrangeCoin existed, you could be trivially trolled by this thread through the guy who made your burger. We could probably keep you from being able to eat dinner. Is that an issue with the proposal?

Attention is attention dude. In StrangeWorld, Bill Maher and Ann Coulter would amass so much wealth through trolling that they would transform themselves into sentient clouds of liquid metal and just go from city to city stripping people's flesh and organs from their skeletons. Our trolling of Eripsa would literally provide him with the burgers he's currently paying for with loans.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

As if you actually need math in philosophy.

I would watch the gently caress out of a show where you and Eripsa have to share an office.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RealityApologist posted:

I completely agree that if I were an economics phd doing academic work in economics, then the OP would be embarrassing. Its not professional quality work. I'm not a phd in economics, though, and I'm not claiming expertise in the area. My academic work is on an entirely different topic, and this material never sees the inside of my classrooms. I'm just a dude who is interested in social organization, and I'm to describe those ideas with the vocabulary and knowledge I have, and I'm trying to learn the vocabulary I don't have so I can better articulate these ideas. I post these threads explicitly asking for help, especially with the math. I state up front that these ideas are incomplete, and that I'm not capable of making good on such an ambitious proposal on my own.

OK, got it. Really! I really understand that you are trying to communicate. Your posts are obviously in good faith, they always are. But why do you have to postulate some never-before heard of framework and defend it (vaguely) to the hilt, instead of just talking with us about the specifics of all the little problems we're trying to solve. You know, "little" problems like financialization or the temperature of the ocean or all these other issues you mention that you'd like to solve. To dive into the specifics of these issues constitutes, brother, the true quintessence of life. But for some reason you are stuck on Grand Unified Theory Island and are refusing utterly, almost on principle, to zoom in with us.

Wait a minute. Oh my god:

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 2, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RealityApologist posted:

I feel like the reaction I'm getting to these proposals suggests they are at least somewhat interesting and novel, and deserve further work and refinement.

By you or by somebody else?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I don't thinkthat he's saying it should replace our system. I think what Eripsa is trying to say is,

"If kami-sama came to Earth and decreed that all transactions would reflect the true nature of people's interconnectedness, wouldn't that be interesting? All sorts of different stuff might happen, like you getting a burger and also your own dollar back, or two dollars! Maybe corporations wouldn't exist any more."

Can somebody tell me what else he's posting about that this statement doesn't basically cover?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Badera posted:

In all seriousness, I've been wondering this the whole time.

Eripsa doesn't think it's worth worrying about, or at least not consistently. Remember, we're talking about God replacing all the properties of money with other ones because that would be interesting to see. That's all we're talking about.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RealityApologist posted:

2. I'm attracted this philosophical approach. Aristotle is awesome.

These are each distinct and substantive claims. The quote you cite makes these claims reasonably clearly, in prose, without the pedantic formalism above.

How is 2 a substantive claim? You're attracted by something? Aristotle is awesome? That's substantive?

Also please provide a definition of "digital philosophy" in a single, one-clause sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RealityApologist posted:

1) Digital philosophy is the network-theoretic approach to philosophical issues. 2) The core idea is that network theory provides a unifying framework for explaining the dynamics of organized systems at both the level of fundamental physics and at the level of human social and political systems. 3) We've never had a scientific framework capable of such a broad scope of treatment, although 4) we've had plenty of philosophical frameworks that do so, grounded in other metaphysical assumptions. 5) Digital philosophy takes the organization of networks as ontologically basic, and 6) is concerned with the implications across the sciences and the humanities.

Please loving try again. One sentence, one clause.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 2, 2014

• Locked thread