Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Our prayers, they have been answered! Eripsa thread 4.0, On Stranger Currencies.

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

icantfindaname posted:

Does someone have the backstory for Eripsa's AV? I'm mildly curious

In the Erik Schmidt Obama's CEO thread Eripsa lamented how people had accepted Lanier's techno cynicism in place of his own borderline singularian ideals.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

eXXon posted:

How many strange coins does a loaf of bread cost and how do I pay for it and how many strange coins would I earn per month and would I still have to pay rent or what?

Well you see its non-linear and complex so when you buy a loaf of bread you just might earn money at the same time as the vendor loses it. Because complexity.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Contra Duck posted:

You're kidding right? You posted this garbage idea where people can make up money out of thin air without considering even for 5 seconds how this could be abused and you have the gall to call me the lazy one? How about rather than posting yet another rambling techno-fetishist essay you try posting an idea that doesn't involve everyone having infinite money at all times.

As Eripsa has explained several times in so many (oh god, so, so many) words, his real interest is in using the forums to criticize and refine his ideas and arguments for him. Only at this point it seems he'd rather just try to crowd source the whole thing and bemoan anyone too mean to play along.

So if you could please, do try harder to think up solutions for the myriad holes you might poke through his rambling madness.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

eXXon posted:

Oh, I get it. This was all an April Fool's joke.

Well, you're in for a surprise...

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

Yep, I completely checked out when it became clear that he wasn't really willing to advocate for this system. The whole thread is just 'if we did this crazy thing then interesting stuff might happen I guess?'

Clearly this is just his daydream activity on par with a kid daydreaming about superheroes or anime but somehow even lamer and I feel dumb for taking part in it.

This was essentially the result of the attention economy threads for any who didn't dig in back in those days. Nothing has changed since then in the approach to problems or the demeanor towards people who engage. As such, while I agree these threads are more interesting than most of the D&D megathreads which have p much handicapped a lot of the discussion, I still can't bring myself to engage with or take Eripsa seriously. The problems don't get solved, the crazy keeps coming in huge sprawling posts, and despite how funny/wacky it can all be, the thread is still mostly an unreadable mess. Vitriol becomes the shortest, simplest and truest response possible.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

EN Bullshit posted:

Is this the marble economy guy, then?

Yes.

The Eripsa Canon (Or should I say... Cannon? Its gonna blow your mind!)

(Archives necessary for some of these)

Alternative Economies: Marble Production (MP) is a function of Marble Absorption (MA)
Attention Economy II: Coding a Better Government
You are a Complex System
A World Run by Software

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 2, 2014

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

RealityApologist posted:

^^ Thanks. I don't have archive/search (can't afford it) or I would have done it myself.

That doesn't mean I'm always clear, but the thread sometimes acts like I'm a glossolalist.

No problem. Sincerely you used to be one of my favorite posters. I would really look forward to any philosophy of mind or cog sci thread that you weighed in on. But ever since Occupy Wall Street and the ideas you've steered towards in the aftermath, there has most certainly been a shift in your language and posts which does frankly drift towards glossolalia at times. Sure, I have become one of your harshest skeptics, but I would love nothing more for your work to become more coherent and prove me wrong.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

To me that sounds unpleasant. Watching lectures is markedly less entertaining when you have to watch someone who doesn't have the material down pat. Also, if you've ever been in a class with someone who has to ask questions every other slide it gets old, real fast.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Forums Barber posted:

I do think that if Eripsa took on a project of writing a short story of what it might be like under StrangeCoin, and engaged other people who write science fiction, that the feedback he would get, while still maybe being a little stronger than he might like (particularly about parsimony, holy poo poo), but I think that he might be able to process it better because maybe he wouldn't perceive it as particularly the same type of personal attack. I don't know, because I've never encounted anyone else like Eripsa.

Oh, he actually has started writing a short story on his Attention Economy if you check back to the goldmined thread. Hes about three chapters in. It'll give you a flare for the sort of world-building he's capable of as a writer of fantasy. Not really my sort of genre these days, so admittedly I'm not a great judge of its excellence.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

LGD posted:

I really hope taking a few days off to have fun and get his head clear will provide an opportunity for some needed self-reflection.

This is wishful thinking on par with Eripa-posting in general. He's been doing this for years now. After being banned in the second attention economy thread for the sort of aggrieved "You guys aren't getting it, feh, typical" sort of bluster on display now, he later tried to sneak back under the guise of a new persona for more "discussion" and was pretty quickly recognized due to how characteristic his idiosyncrasies are. That he demands a greater spirit of charity from the forums after not having changed one whit and earning every bit of scorn is laughable, to say the least. When he insists that this is one of the best venues for critiquing and improving his ideas, I think that really speaks lowly of the quality of those ideas that we're the best hes able to find when you consider how every one of these threads plays out. Hes miffed about the response he gets and his own reputation without ever stopping to consider that he earned it all on his own. This doesn't deserve any more patience than hes getting, and frankly posters like Jawn seem saint-like in what they're willing to put up with.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Pesmerga posted:

I think this thread has run it's course, to be honest.

See you guys again in a few months!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

What if I want to buy a new car? Do I couple myself with everyone on the assembly line? If the parts are ordered abroad and assembled in the US, must I now couple internationally, or is that something the factory employees have to worry about? Do they have time to worry about any of this, or does strangecoin usher in a sort of Utopia where they'll have both the time and interest in nurturing these sort of international, cross cultural networks? Does the government of China control the coupling of its citizens? To what extent?

Now, say, if corporations don't exist, what sort of of Coupling would be involved to, say, arrange a contract for a shipbuilding yard (unincorporated) and its myriad employees to build me a tanker, particularly since there is usually a queue involved for huge durable goods like these. Does everyone have to be tied up with each other for years at a time to make some...

...You know what, this is insane. Nevermind.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

But why red25, and what impinges on where you are in the red green continuum?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

RealityApologist posted:

The Strangecoin equivalent of ICANN.

Again I think these are interface issues distinct from the proposal so I've spent less time discussing/thinking about this issue in an effort to stay "focused".

So who is in charge of assigning people Dark Side domain signifiers and Lightside signifiers. Is there a committee or delegated authority or is it a crowd sourced decision? Twitter-esque metadata or trends? How does this avoid tyranny of the majority like situations or the too often dim wisdom of crowds?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Hey guys I've been staying off the forums for the last two weeks. Did we finally get that spec-

:stare:

I see... Well at least we're getting the rest of the Attention Economy Saga novellas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I'd like another Eripsa thread but it needs more Eripsa content than the last one.

• Locked thread