Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
Your idea isn't going to make externalities any more visible or empower people negatively affected by them. But at least it would protect us from the #1 cause of wealth inequality in America, which is Scrooge McDuck-style money pools. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Concerned Citizen posted:

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here a little bit, so bear with me.

The fundamental idea expressed here will not work because there's no way to ensure a Strangecoin account user is unique. This is essentially an unsolvable problem. However, this isn't a totally dumb idea (even if Eripsa's explanation is typical Eripsa). I really like the concept of using cryptocurrency in an entirely new fashion that distinguishes itself from ordinary currency by providing different incentives on behavior. By changing the way new currency is created, you could make an entirely new type of economy. For example, if Strangecoin actually worked, it would basically end cash savings. You'd flatten income inequality. Guaranteed income would be built into the currency itself, funded by creating new coins with the poor instead of straight to banks. Even if this particular example isn't workable, I'd like to see people smarter than me play around with variants of the broader concept.

People smarter than you and everybody else that advocates for cryptocurrencies recognize there are other forces driving wealth generation beyond cash expenditure. Like physical capital. That's an important thing, economists have written books about it.

• Locked thread