Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
8/26/2014, 8:17am

Chapter 1: Over the Hills and Through the Woods

The curved roads go up and down the mountains for hours. Despite her years of leaving the boys in her dust, Connie can't bring herself to exceed 35 without risking going over the edge and based off the weathered skid marks you see every quarter mile, she's making the right call. The trees are more ambitious in this neck of the woods and outside of dead noon you can't stay out of the shadows. Spiderwebs the size of Volkswagens line the edge of the forest.

You begin winding up one more mountain, hoping it's the last. Toby and John are snoring loudly next to a pile of gear. As you make your way over the pass, you see the town in front of you. The widens considerably. The town up ahead seems split halfway through by a ravine and a large bridge.

This town is different than the last dozen you saw. The buildings are large and steady, stone and thick wood. The main street is surprisingly kept up and clean, nothing deteriorating or breaking down.

As you enter town you get a lot of looks by every set of eyes. Few people seem to be driving anything and you get the impression many don't own a car.

A man with an over-sized leather hat sits in front of what looks like the one stop shop county courthouse and Sheriff's office. It looks to be the oldest building in town. Across the street is a post office next to what looks like an old bar, a church, and a surprisingly tall school.

Welcome to a Great Stillness! Posting conventions are as follows:

quote:

Character name

Things your character is thinking or deducing

Things your character does or says to interact with everyone else.

Relevant rolls or skills or things you want to try. Questions you may have for the GM

Recruitment and OOC thread

mugrim fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Saved for the future

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

There is a stunning lack of coverage on the town in terms of state based accounting of it. You have some topographical maps but they're based off general models and not all that helpful, the last time a surveyor actually filed anything regarding the town was 1938 when the bridge was completed. Anything on the government side of things the state is still tracking down. Historically the area has been extremely remote. It has French roots and often stayed completely out of external conflicts.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

mistaya posted:

Which side of the ravine is Main Street on? Any obvious landmarks on the other side? Is the bridge fit for vehicle travel or pedestrian only? What kind of clothing are the people in town wearing? What other cars are parked at the Courthouse? (If I need to roll anything to notice this stuff just tell me.)

Phone Post:
Main street crosses the ravine on the extremely wide bridge. The bridge not only looks solid, it is surprisingly beautiful and wide, much wider than the road that leads to it. People seem to be wearing denim or work clothes, albeit dated. They appear like they have their poo poo together and they are clean. There are two ford's in the sheriff's "lot", an F-150 and F-350,both with decals. The sheriff's matches the department photo to a stunning degree. He's eagerly awaiting your arrival, though he's kind enough to give you your privacy while you're in the car.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"Welcome!"

He extends his hand out and provides a firm handshake for each of you.

"Sheriff James Rolland, you can call me Jim.

Now I've been hearing a lot of Hubbub this morning and despite my best efforts to find out what it's about they seem to have all failed. Well let me congradulate you on allowing me to be the first Welcome Wagon in quite some time."

While you are pretty distant from most people and no one can hear you, the Sheriff knows better.

"Lets go inside where it's a bit more private."

He leads you in the County building and you examine its architecture. It's stone and logs arranged beautifully, with some kind of Adobe face and courtyard. You notice that it's littered with holes big enough for your thumbs to fit through.

Inside you find a large office with a pair of cells. There is a conference table a few offices that are seemingly empty, and a hallway with a sign that says "Records" above it.

"So, how can I help you?"

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"They told me to expect three Kentucky State Officers and they wanted to give me a heads up. Beyond that they're as quiet as can be. You mind telling me how we can help here? I hope this doesn't come as discourteous but the sooner you get what you need the sooner my town can rest."

mugrim fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 1, 2014

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"Well that is troubling news sir, what was your name again?"

He looks around.

"I haven't heard of any strangers up here in a few months save you. Do you know who she was with? What she was doing? If you have a picture we can go door to door, see if anyone has seen her."

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The Sheriff's eyes instantly go wide when you he sees the picture and his otherwise brimming smile fades quickly.

"Megan..."

He slumps over to a phone on his desk and begins dialing as he picks up the receiver. It takes maybe two minutes before it is finally picked up.

"Johnathan, when was the last time you saw Megan?

Yeah?

I don't know where she is, that's what I'm trying to find out.

No no, it's not a bother, I told you, you need to call me when this happens.

Please come here, bring Meryl.

Is she okay?

I'll see you when you get here."

The Sheriff begins moving some supplies around.

"Well this visit might be a lot shorter than you thought detectives. I've known that girl for over a decade, Megan. We filed a missing persons report on her when Johnathan found her in his irrigation ditch. Poor girl was in the Clinic for almost half a year. We sent the proper paperwork into the state. We adopt a large number of children here from surrounding areas as a religious effort with the school and when we couldn't find a match Judge Collier remanded her to Johnathan Hart's custody.

She's had a good life but the poor girl liked going off on her own a lot. This isn't the first time she's been missing, but I can't imagine why she would have remembered who she was and not told us. We shouldn't worry she is probably just scared. We lucked out, if she's in the thick we can probably find her. Should I organize the town to begin canvassing? What can we do to accommodate you?"

Jim begins making some coffee.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"I can't imagine who would have that phone. A fair amount of families in town have Satellite phones because of the nature of their work and our lack of a cell phone tower. It's possible that someone bought one second hand from a foreigner. As far as Meg's running away. It was always somewhere within the palm."

He takes a moment to think.

Oh, the palm is what we call this area we live in. 5 large mountains linked together in a circle with a bunch of rivers cutting through it, looks like the palm of an open hand from the sky."

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

John only

John takes a good look at the Sheriff, and seems to realize that he was not at all surprised by this development. The Sheriff does not seem nervous at all about Johnathan though he might even be curious.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

John and Toby only, no other successes

He is massively unsettled, though that is some really freaky sounding poo poo.

"Now I would keep allegations like that to yourself outside this room. I don't know any whispering darkness or mouths thereof, but when Megan first arrived she was barely alive. She's been a good kid ever since. When her father comes, I would recommend you focus on helping him and not calling her Melanie. The truth is a great thing, but for the last 13 years his truth was that his daughter Megan loved him and no one is about to get between him and that right now. Jonathan is a good man, but he is a bit of a hot head."

You can hear honking in the distance.

"That's probably him."

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Phonepost: Update coming tonight.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

John and Toby leave the building and make to the car.

Connie is handed a map by the Sheriff.

(I'm having trouble trying to find the one I drew. R is river, M mountain, B bridge, D downtown.)

pre:
 RRRRRMMMMMM    M
      R         M
M       R       M
M      DBD      M
M  RRRRRRR      M
  R      RRRRRRRR
 R   MMMMR  MMMMM
"She's never been found in any area specifically. She wanders, she's always looking for something"

A large blue truck parks right out from. A man with a chest like a barrel comes in, ducking under the door as he enters. He has a very large revolver on his hip, a rifle on his back, but for some reason his eyes and fists frighten you far more.

His eyes are brimming with rage but his voice is calm.

"We need to find her."

He looks at the Sheriff

"Meryl is in the car, she's not spoken a word all morning. This time it's different Jim."

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

bump

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"If you want to take on a boar, a lovesick stag, or a pissed off cougar with your hands, you be my guest."

Sheriff interrupts

"Tokacha is an old injun word, means Cougar. This area is littered with them and the boars they eat."

Johnathan begins breaking it down.

"I already got half the towners looking. If you all want to come with me you are welcome, this area is dangerous if you don't know where you're going. Meryl normally looks with me but she can't right now. I need someone looking over my shoulder, would you mind helping ma'am?"

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

bump.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

last bump

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"I need some eyes and guns to watch me as we head out. My wife Meryl is too shocked. Sheriff, you mind finding someone to stay with her?"

The Sheriff turns around,

"Absolutely."

Jonathan is ready to move. Are you?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Jonathan gives a quick and sincere hug to Connie.

"I would appreciate that a great deal ma'am. Meryl hasn't spoken since last night, hopefully you can get her to open up."

Connie goes to the truck and brings Meryl in. She moves with Connie but refuses to make eye contact. She sits down at the Sheriff's conference table and drinks the coffee that is handed to her. Meryl is wearing a nice clean flower print dress and a large wool coat, which is odd given the August air.

The Sheriff does not look pleased about spending his time coordinating, you get the impression he'd rather be out looking for Megan.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

A large gust of wind blows through, more powerful than anything you've ever felt. Black clouds begin to roll over the mountains and despite being fairly early, you feel the need to get some flashlights.

If you want to grab something (especially a coat!) do it now and announce it and let me know you are ready to leave. The weather looks nasty.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"Yes sir, it's got four wheel drive and it'll get us where we need to go. Are you ready?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You hop in the truck with Jonathan and he takes off just as the first rain begins. You go past downtown and over the hill towards the mountain beyond. You see several farms in the distance, as well as a large but remote building at the base of an adjacent mountain. You drive down a country 'road' that has become a sludge as the rain falls sideways.

"I'm going to try over by the base of Big Lou here. Megan likes to go here to think and forage and occasionally sneak off with that Carignan kid. She thinks I don't know, but really I just like her being happy and having her space. I'm worried, sometimes people set traps in this area, and Megan's vision isn't the greatest.

So what are you folks in town for?"

~Meanwhile~

Sheriff looks at Connie and Meryl.

"You folks found a place to stay yet?"

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Johnathan is silent for what feels like an entire minute for responding.

"It's not very comforting that the two people helping me look for her represent a department that couldn't find her for 13 years despite a missing persons report. Tell you what, you spot her, and I won't consider your departments failures a measure of your personal worth. Deal?"

He looks around the truck and interrupts the silence.

"I'm sorry. If she's out here, she might be in an iron trap. I'm worried. Is there anything I can answer that might help you out?"

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You get the impression that he is being 100% honest.

"Last saw her last night when she was supposedly going into town to make the rounds. I did not know whether it was really to do that, or to go see the Carignan kid. I don't wait up, if she sneaks off with him too long, she'll wait outside until I eventually go to sleep, and I don't want her to catch a cold or pneumonia. She doesn't take a radio with her or anything."

He turns right abruptly. The truck jumps up and down a gravel path with huge patches of mud.

"'Going towards a spot they often go to be alone. Carignan is a good kid, though I haven't seen him. That's not surprising, his family works the Post Office, and he often gets stuck with night duty as the low man on the totem pole. He's probably sleeping now. He sees her mid day, around that time he'll be hitting me up on my radio to make sure she's okay."

~meanwhile~

Maryl seems completely unresponsive. She drinks her tea and does not answer anything, looking straight. It seems really really off, almost like a break.

The Sheriff interjects.

"Hazel Johnston runs our school, we occasionally take orphans from the state whenever we have room, the school has dorms and some staff for them. We keep it really simple, take what we can to help out."

Can everyone do me a favor and post their character sheets? I have to keep going back to the recruitment thread. Thanks!

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Trees become too numerous and the path stops.

Johnathan flings out of the truck, shutting his door hard enough you worry about it's integrity.

He begins marching towards the mountain.

"Stags and Cougars, Bears, and even some wolf packs. Smaller stuff includes 'coons, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, that kind of thing."

He walks maybe 30 yards with you before he grabs a stick and puts it in front of him. He presses down on the ground and a loud ungreased mechanical noise deafens you. The stick has been broken violently by an iron trap.

"Watch out for those."

He looks around and moves forward.

"Try and stay straight behind me"

The rain begins pouring to flash flood levels.

**Three hours go by**

You are walking through the woods and you notice a camp site about 15 yards away. There's no fire, but a firepit has been made, and a spiral stone pattern seems to wrap around the camp. There is a makeshift tent made out of canvas. A backpack is nearby. You see a form wrapped in some kind of fur under the canvas. Everything is still.

Johnathan is unable to move, completely stunned.

~~Meanwhile~~

"Well it is St. Lawrence's School for Wayward Children if that answers your question. You should ask Hazel about it when you get a chance, she's quite proud."

The Sheriff lets out a little chuckle.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

John, it would have come into effect had Toby not checked.

Toby's nose stops him dead in his tracks, his foot inches from coming down on the hard iron jaws of an animal trap. A red mess of what may have been a fat squirrel, bloated with rot, just saved him from being hobbled. Toby counts nearly a dozen of the horrid things as he triggers them and moves closer to the canvas. Neatly combed blond hair spills out from the side.

Turning it over reveals Megan's beatific face peeking out of a large fur, smiling as if in the middle of a dream. Toby nudges Megan to wake her, and her head tumbles out of the wrapped fur into the dirt. There's no human body, but a chaotic mass of tiny cougar limbs arranged in a roughly humanoid shape, claws out.

There is virtually no blood around, and no body can be found.

Johnathan drops to the ground on his knees and sinks into the mud.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

As far as Toby can tell, there is no ambush. Unfortunately the flash flood is washing a lot of the ground away.

The backpack has the following things inside: A ring, a steel flashlight, rope, a pocket knife, and a set of keys.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The keys have a cute keychain, the kind of thing that looks like it was made in a summer camp, with a string of charms that read out "Megan".

From Mr. Kent's face you get the impression that he is keenly aware of who those belongings were owned by. It is probably all what Megan would walk around with.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

John successfully tries his best to cover the crime scene, though the flash flood is making quick work of it. He at least can ensure that things are in place where they should be once it dries.

Upon examination, the fusing of the cougar limbs is incredibly well done. No matter how it is moved around, multiple paws are facing upwards. There are 23 limbs total in this abomination.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Meryl begins to look around all over, her eyes darting in every direction. She looks like she is being surrounded by an unseen swarm. She closes her eyes and refuses to open them.

"Meryl, I'm going to call Doc Rogers next door, he's going to come and take you to his room so you can sleep."

Meryl lets out the closest thing to a smile she has available at the moment.

Doc Rogers comes by and takes her next door. He gives Connie a look that says 'if I wasn't worried about this woman I would shake your hand'.

"Won't let her out of my sight Jim, you know the number."

Also, it is Mr. Hart. I had a name chance and forgot to put it on one of my notes. Whoops.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Mr. Hart and friends are indeed in a flood plane that pockets up.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Feel free to assume Connie tells you

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

bump

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Johnathan sees everyone's concern and begins to rise, trying to hide his tears. He pulls out a GPS and marks the spot, just in case. His eyes cross Toby.

"Can we at least take what's left of her?"

~~Meanwhile~~

"This is...troubling...was John there? Did he have to see her?"

He takes a moment and dials three numbers on his phone.

"Doc, am I on speaker? No? Good. The state police found Megan in the woods, she's dead. Considering the condition of Mrs. Hart I'd like to give it some time and let John make the call on how to tell her. Lets tell Hazel to call off the kids so they don't find Megan."

He seems authentically upset, though not as surprised as you would have assumed. Then again he does know her personally so he might have suspected something anyways. He doesn't seem too resistant in general to questioning though, and you get the impression he wouldn't mind as long as it's respectful.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

bump

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"Yeah, we'll be back around 2 or so. I want to get back, and see Meryl."

John begins packing up what is needed and loads everyone in the truck. The ride back is quiet outside of the flooding rain.

You get stuck a few times in the mud but John quickly corrects it.

~~ 2:13:03 ~~

You arrive back at the Sheriff's Office and Court. Sheriff Jim greets you as best he can, he's been getting people inside so they don't see what's about to come out of the truck.

Johnathan looks at him with disdain and in an unnervingly calm tone says:

"This happened on your watch"

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The sheriff very clearly wants this kept quiet at the moment.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Mr. Hart walks out of the County office and goes towards the medical center.

The Sheriff gets up and brushes himself off a bit, looking outside which is almost pitch black. These clouds are almost as aggressive as the rain. Lightning strikes.

"Don't mind John obviously, he knows what's important and he'll come around. Well, this flooding is going to continue for a few hours, you might want to ask Norah at the Inn about a place to sleep. We don't exactly have rental rooms here but she has a spare or two she sometimes lets people use if they get a bit too drunk."

He grabs another cup of coffee and points his cup down the hall.

"Down there are the town records if you need them. Let me know how I can help you."

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The records room is stuffed to the ceiling with box after box of barely cataloged stacks of information. There is a single light in the room. It is two stories, one on the main floor, and an anemic staircase that leads to a room in the basement filled just the same.

You are tired, you were briefed last night and have not slept since. -1 to all rolls until you get some sleep and eat, unless you have iron will, which will just offset it for now.

mugrim fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

lets assume that happens mistaya, in the records room.

• Locked thread